Annoying Parts in Redwall

Started by Tiria Wildlough, February 05, 2012, 04:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

Well, Redwall fans, what parts in Redwall books really annoy you?
For me, I hate when Lord Brocktree wanted to move on straight away, and he said a badger Lord carries 200 votes and his sword carries 100. If someone had stood up to him, what was he going to do, whip their head off?
Also, I hate it when Salixa ticks off Rangval the Rogue when he starts talking about food. Rangval was helping them, what with Owch Mansions and the rest, and they reward him by ticking him off. I hate characters who do that, but more than ever, I hate characters who do it reasonably. :P :P
I understand that some of the more sensible members might not like this topic, because people are bound to grouse about parts they don't like, and I'm not going to get annoyed if you say so, but I saw no reason not to start it 'cos it has to do with Redwall and there's no topic about it already made. :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Trigoma

I find it frustrating/annoying how easily the good guys kill the bad guys. 5 Squirrels killing a whole army? Impossible. But thats just my preference. 
"Whenever there is a meeting, a parting is sure to follow. However, that parting need not last forever... Whether a parting be forever or merely for a short time...that is up to you."
—Happy Mask Salesman

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah, kind of. Where was that from?
I'm not a hipster.

Lutra

Take your pick--it happens often. ;)  I would agree and say that's the most annoying thing of Redwall....the goodbeasts are near invincible and it doesn't take much to kill a baddie.  A good konk on the head seems to work.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

redwallgurl

Agreed with all of the above and also in some battles were most or all of the enemy die only a few or none of the good creatures die its just not probably to me. Another thing is when some creatures take senetray for the night the are still all fully awake the next day.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Bragoon

I liked it when Brocktree did that - it's very similar to the way things work in real life sometimes.  :P  It shouldn't always be that way, but sometimes, like with the numerous times a Guosim shrew challenged the Log-a-log, a leader is required to flex their muscles a bit to remind them why they're in charge.  It shouldn't be done excessively, only when absolutely necessary.

I agree, it does get slightly peevish when not many goodbeasts are killed.  But on the other hand, some people complain that too many good characters die.  You can't have it both ways, and "Such is life". 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Tiria Wildlough

I do not think it is fair for someone who is bigger to exert their authority over people. There is always a nice way of asking. :)
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

True. I personally didn't like Brocktree's leadership attitude that much. I know that sounds stupid, but those are my thoughts.

And how come it doesn't take much to kill one of the vermin, but Deyna got shot through the chest, he ran across a field carrying a sword and SOMEHOW caught up to a weasel that was running with the speed of sheer panic. How the heck did he even catch Efera, and how did he run like that with an arrow stuck through his chest and carrying the weight of a heavy sword?! I know he was the Taggerung and all, but they shouldn't have made him seem so darned invincible.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Yep. And then there's the part with Felldoh. I mean, even if he was berserk, how did he take down that many vermin? And it always bugged me how Badrang was such a coward who kill Felldoh through treachery.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Bragoon

I think what we see reflected in Brocktree's way of leadership is that of someone who is still learning to lead many people.  He doesn't have the privilege that all other badger lords that I've read about have, of having trusted friends and confidantes that he trusts enough to take advice from, so he feels that he has to do what he sees as best, taking less advice from others than many other Badger Lords did.  I've gone through that period myself, and have seen it in a few other people as well.  While I agree it's better to be able to take council from others, sometimes you just don't trust the people around you enough to do so. 
In my opinion, it was a good characterization on Mr. Jacques' part, that of a powerful character who still had things to learn about exactly what it meant to be a Badger Lord.

"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Nightfire

I suppose. What do you mean by
Quote from: Bragoon on February 06, 2012, 05:53:45 PM
He doesn't have the privilege that all other badger lords that I've read about have, of having trusted friends and confidantes that he trusts enough to take advice from, so he feels that he has to do what he sees as best, taking less advice from others than many other Badger Lords did.
that? He had Dotti, and I think she counted as a great trustworth friend, and he also had Fleetscut and Ruff and the wresling mole, whatsisname...Gurth?

I also didn't understand the part in Loamhedge where Badredd chops at the gate bolt with his sword and somehow CHOPPED STRAIGHT THROUGH THE SANDSTONE!!! How is that even possible, when great hordes like Cluny's couldn't even break through the wooden gate?! Somew how he broke clean through the sandstone with an ordinary cutlass. Need I remind people, vermin rarely ever take good care of their weapons so it wouldn't have been strong enough to chop through solid sandstone that's weathered the ages.

Bragoon

He did, but compare Dotti, Ruff, and Gurth to, say, Major Mullein (friend to Lord Asheye) or Colonel Eyebright (likewise, to Lady Cregga Roseyes).  Mullein and Eyebright had been reliable friends to those Badgers for many seasons, versus Dotti, who Brocktree had met less than two seasons back.  Hardly long enough to really get to know and fully trust someone.  They hadn't even really been in any danger, so Dotti had little chance to prove herself to Brocktree, like Feryn Kordyne did for Lord Brang.

Tiria Wildlough

I didn't like most of the badger lords. They were far too forceful. I was a bit sad to see Lady Violet Wildstripe grow up into one of those. Also Ambrevina. :(
I'm not a hipster.

Redwall Musician

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on February 07, 2012, 12:20:43 PM
I didn't like most of the badger lords. They were far too forceful.

The thing is, badger lords lead hares. One of the awesome thing about hares is that they need discipline. Hares are so good natured but a little bold. So things badger lords do don't bother them and it gives them the discipline they need.
That probably doesn't make any sense...

And I always thought the part about Brocktree saying his vote equals "200 votes and his sword carries 100" was kinda funny. Truly, he was in charge and it didn't matter how many votes he had, what he says goes. And I always thought he said it sarcastically. It made me laugh.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."