News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Annoying Parts in Redwall

Started by Tiria Wildlough, February 05, 2012, 04:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

Yeah, but he scared the crumb out of the shrews. If Lord Brocktree is the heroic character Musician talks about, he wouldn't do that.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Bragoon

Good guys are scary too.  Tattooed Deyna, anyone?

"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Redwall Musician

Sometimes even heroic characters make mistakes. But they learn from them. Tiria, have you ever done something you regretted later? Just because you mess up doesn't make you terrible.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Dotti

I personally thought it was rather funny when Brocktree did that....I didn't get the impression that Log-a-log Gren was terrified... just kinda nervous. Brocktree was just saying, "Look, I'll be happy to have you travel with me, but let's just get one thing straight: I am the badger lord here, and I am on an epic quest to save my father from this evil wildcat I dream about.  I'm not forcing you to come with me, but if you do decide to come, you have to understand that I am in charge.  I'm not going to have creatures along that I can't count on to back me up in my decisions."  Realistically, it wasn't practical for Brocktree to have allowed Gren, Dotti, and Ruff to overrule him.  If he had given them the power to veto the plan and wait a few days, they would never had gotten to Salamandastron in time to rescue the Bark Crew. 

But in any case, probably the most annoying part of Redwall to me is when Horty, Springald, and Fenna follow Bragoon and Saro and get into trouble.  Their attitudes are SO AGGRAVATING! I hate that.  I also don't like the little hamster at Loamhedge who wouldn't give them any food from his well-stocked larder.  GRRR.  >:(
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Tiria Wildlough

Scarum was annoying. He did not care a fig for his friends. If they'd been slain, all you'd need to do in order to make him forget about it would be: give him some cake. ::)
I'm not a hipster.

Flandor

I hated Scarum.  He was selfish and gluttonous and when he started eating their rations at sea it was infuriating.  But he was a nice change, because it's rare to see a goodbeast that you dislike in Redwall.  Diggs, from Sable Quean, was also similar but in the end always came through for his friends and didn't do things that were so selfish they could've led to his friends' deaths.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Lutra

Scarum is  a hare I suspect.....there have been hares I've actually disliked (or found annoying) because some have very little respect for others, when the hare race (as a whole) generally is very militaristic, organized, conservative, and honorable.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

The only good thing about Scarum was that he made a change from the stereotypical 'do-what-you're-told-and-don't-chat' hares that you usually get. :D
Rollo in PoL was annoying too. It was a bit sad that he was so funny and cute when he was a baby, and turned into a dry old codger. :(
I'm not a hipster.

Flandor

I also found Eulalia! pretty annoying as a whole.  I enjoyed the story and some of the characters, like Maudie, Log-a-Log Osbil, and especially Rangval the Rogue (his accent was awesome).  Orkwil was a cool hero too.

But as a whole I think Brian got a little nuts making the badgers super powerful and all-knowing.  I mean, Sunflash, Urthstripe, and Brocktree and all them were powerful and wise but not unbelievably so.  But then the Tabura, and Gorath, and the girl badger, just seemed so perfect and annoyingly so.  Same with Lonna Bowstripe and his Seer ability.  Just got on my nerves.  I found myself missing Constance and Russano and Bella.

Also the pirate crew in Eulalia! is just a copy of Plugg Firetail's crew.  I found them quite boring, and Vizka was like Plugg meets Ferahgo.  However Gruntan Kurdly was pretty creative and entertaining.
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

TheRedSnifit

This has been mentioned before, but I always find it really annoying how the stories always seem to end with a handful of good guys with Charles Atlas Superpowers mowing down hordes of weak and cowardly mooks who're so incompetent that in at least one book they can't defend themselves against ragtag, half-starved slaves.

redwallgurl

i know but what also is annoying is that you never see the characters get to go to hte bathroom and without plumbing life would be soo much harder don't you think
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Bragoon

It's a kid book.  The last thing kids these days need is more of that sort of thing (I'm sure you can conjure up some word to aptly describe what I mean).
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Dotti

I personally appreciate that certain aspects of life (such as bathroom breaks) are left out of Redwall.....Although it does add sort of an unrealistic aspect to the books....well, we just don't need to see that part of the characters' lives. 
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Lily

Bathroom breaks are left out of most the books I read, thank goodness. Who wants to read about that? :P

Tiria Wildlough

Aye. These days you see too many books containing those kinds of vulgar jokes. :P
I'm not a hipster.