Concerning the amount of deaths at the end of The Long Patrol

Started by The Skarzs, August 24, 2014, 05:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Skarzs

If you have not read The Long Patrol, I warn that this contains spoilers.

I was thinking about this today, and began to think of questions one might ask from the deaths of nearly three-hundred Redwallers at the battle of the plains in the book The Long Patrol.
To fight the vermin, the Redwallers turned out around three-hundred creatures, quite a substantial amount when you think that that was basically all the able-bodied beasts they could muster. Most of these would be male, so, again, a large part of the population. Most were killed.
How do you think this would effect life at Redwall overall? How long would it take for Redwall to recover from such a loss in it's creatures? With so many lost, an equal amount would never be able to be born, making repopulation go at a near snail-crawl for seasons. With less paws to do chores and necessary work, it would be difficult to keep up with the seasons. Was there a sudden influx of permanent visitors? Or were there enough creatures left back at Redwall to stabilize such a catastrophe?

Please, share your thoughts.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Izeroth

I imagine things would have gone slowly for a long time, but eventually the population would stabilize and things would return to normal. Until the population stabilized i imagine the otters and shrews would have helped Redwalll out by providing labor and food.

Vilu Daskar

Well not all of the Redwall army lived at Redwalllike half of them were woodlanders.
Never trust a smiling pirate.  :D

I can do that because I'm awesome.

"It really gets up my nose when publishers call my book another Lord of the Rings. It's my bloody book! I wrote it. And another thing, I didn't have to plunder Norse and European mythology to do it!" - Brian Jacques.

Tam and Martin

I have not had the chance to read the Long Patrol but I will give what I think about the subject based on what I remember. If I mess something up or get it wrong please tell me.

From what I remember, The three hundred count was not just Redwallers. I believe the Redwallers gathered as many people as they could (woodlanders, guosim, squirrels, moles etc.) that didn't all live in Redwall Abbey by having the hares that were already at Redwall (Perigold's bunch) go out and gather them. They came back with several creatures. Then I think they counted 300 creatures total (That includes all the woodlanders and the Perigold's bunch).

I also would think they left a good amount of people (Maybe 100 or so?) behind to be able to protect Redwall just in case something happened.

As for what you said about the re population of Redwall, if All worked out as I just said did, then they should still have enough male creatures back at Redwall if anything ever happened.

That is what I believe happened.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000