News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Your least favourite Redwall book

Started by Tiria Wildlough, September 22, 2011, 01:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which one is it?

Lord Brocktree
3 (3.3%)
Martin the Warrior
3 (3.3%)
Mossflower
3 (3.3%)
The Legend of Luke
1 (1.1%)
The Outcast of Redwall
5 (5.4%)
Mariel of Redwall
3 (3.3%)
The Bellmaker
4 (4.3%)
Salamandastron
2 (2.2%)
Redwall
9 (9.8%)
Mattimeo
8 (8.7%)
Pearls of Lutra
2 (2.2%)
The Long Patrol
0 (0%)
Marlfox
1 (1.1%)
Taggerung
4 (4.3%)
Triss
4 (4.3%)
Loamhedge
13 (14.1%)
Rakkety Tam
1 (1.1%)
High Rhulain
1 (1.1%)
Eulalia!
10 (10.9%)
Doomwyte
8 (8.7%)
The Sable Quean
0 (0%)
The Rogue Crew
7 (7.6%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Folgrimeo

xenobia, pick a least favorite if you can.

I've overall been satisfied with the quality of the Redwall books, even the ones I didn't like as much were still better than most other books I read. But as I keep reading them I can't help but start to think "does this reach the high bar this other one set?" It's kinda unfair to be in that mindset since the series follows a formula closely, so once the initial thrill wears off, the books that are read later on might not seem as great. Kinda unfair to have a bar anyway since it would make me more critical of the books, when I should be grateful enough to be reading that great literature in the first place.

Lutra

I'm a tad curious as to why the two people who voted for "Redwall" consider it to be the worst.  Speak up!  :) Why is the first book that starts it all, the worst for you?
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Maybe Redwall didn't start it all for them? ;)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Trisscar95

I don't like Outcast of Redwall. It just didn't capture me like the rest of the Redwall books did. Plus Veil wasn't a really good character I thought.
'Twixt leaning ash and poison gold,
Trisscar Swordmaid, look, behold,
What is sought by everyone.
Now! Ere high noon light moves on.'

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Icefire

I hated Doomwyte. It's the one and only Redwall book I can honestly say I didn't like one bit! I have several reasons for that....and I'll have to come back and state them later.

I also wasn't super fond of Outcast or Loamhedge. I found Loamhedge disappointing because I was hoping it would go back and tell the story of the original mice.

Oh, and Lutra, you should definitely try Rakkety Tam.

I kind of wish BJ had spent less time in Redwall and more time in Castaways...
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Marlfox70

Taggerung. It was rather boring, though I liked it more the second time I read it as I had a better connection with the characters. I gotta admit the later books seemed kinda repetitive and predictable though so I wasn't as big a fan of them. The last book, however upsettingly short and unexciting the final battle was, I was very impressed by, as it had more perspective into the villains and they actually had personalities outside of the cliche bad guy persona, something sadly lacking in almost all the books.

Matthias Martin

to me the first 5 to 8 books were great. and after triss it just went downhill fast and even the Rouge Crew was just dull for me.

Tiria Wildlough

When I read the summary of Loamhedge, I seriously thought the quality of Redwall villains was going down. I was scared that Brian Jacques was running out of ideas, but I was glad that it was just that book. PHEW! :)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Ceteruler

Too me, with the exception of Redwall, which is my least favourite, the Redwall books declined as more and more were written. The heroes just didnt seem so epic, and the character development wasnt as good.

Tam and Martin

To me, The Bellmaker everything except Slipp and Blaggut I didn't like.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Ungatt Trunn

I think that Marlfox is the worst Redwall book.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Dannflower Reguba

I hated Martin the Warrior for many a reason (I'm not going to bother re-stating them all over again).

We sure have a LOT of Loamhedge haters!  :D :D Never was a big fan of that one either, it lacked a lot of Jaques's ingenuity.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tam and Martin

I think so too but it's not the worst

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000