no
25 (64.1%)
maybe
9 (23.1%)

Total Members Voted: 36

rakkety tam

rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Coobreedan

I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Skipper

i dont think he should, it doesnt fit the theme and they ar too big

rakkety tam

well wolverines are way bigger than most dogs yet he put that in rakkety tam

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Lutra

Why would a dog even fit in with the story?  ???  Granted, if a dog was ever to appear, it would've been in the first story like our lone horse, our lone beaver, and farm cat Squire Julian. ;)   I don't think Redwall fans have felt the stories are lost without the horse, beaver or farm cats, though they are interesting to discuss because they only appeared that one time.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

rakkety tam

Skipper

Quote from: rakkety tam on November 30, 2011, 09:18:50 PM
yes but they fit the theme and it was only once

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: rakkety tam on November 30, 2011, 09:18:50 PM
As I've mentioned before, a wolverine is actually about the same size as a medium dog.

Also, a town dog was mentioned briefly in Redwall when Methusalah was reading about Cluny. I know, I know, Mr. Jacques was still figuring out the world and wasn't even going to make a series at the time, but there still is a dog in the Redwall universe.

I'll give a quote from the book where the dog is mentioned:

Quote"There was even a report brought to me two years ago by a town dog: an army of rats stampeded a herd of cows through a village, causing chaos and much destruction."

But then, a lot of strange things were in that chapter: a mine was mentioned to have collapsed, cows, piglets, villages and even the mention of years, not seasons!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Log-a-Log

There was a wolf mentioned in the Bellmaker, so that kind of counts as another dog.
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Skipper

Coobreedan

It would have been alive at one point though, so wolves are part of Redwall.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Skipper

yes but he never mentioned if was alive, it could have come from far away like the lands of ice, or maybe it was washed up on the shorew so wolves are not a part of redwall

Folgrimeo

I agree with both of you. Since Urgan Nagru wore the pelt of a wolf (I forget how he came across the wolf though), at least one wolf was in the Redwall world. But since it's such a throwaway reference and we never hear wolves referred to again, it doesn't seem like wolves fit in the world. They're just like the solitary beaver.

Coobreedan

What is up with these creature that there are only one of?!

BrookSkimmer

it is interesting that 'dog' and 'pig' are used in the books as insults by some vermin or others. So perhaps they do exist there somehow. I figure more that it's just B.J.'s way of writing out what the vermin are saying with common language.