Names

Started by redwallgurl, June 16, 2012, 10:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redwallgurl

Have you ever noticed that some characters names are jsut the latin names or anagrams of them! I figured it out this weekend looking at htis book that one of my brothers friend brougth over.I noticied that otter in Latin means Lutra. I found an anagram of Saxtus and many more. Its pretty cool.
Fun. is a fantastic band.

AbbotAlf0805

Cool I speak Latin.
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.

Redwallfan7

Cool. Where else can you look that stuff up? Is it on the Redwall wiki?
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

redwallgurl

nt that i know of i jsut was looking at this enclyopedia. i think if you type in a creature like fox in google then search the scientific name for it you can ifnd some other examples
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Redwallfan7

Oh, ok. I'm gonna try that!
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

WildDoogyPlumm

Gulo is named after the scientific name for a wolverine: Gulo Gulo.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Flandor

The European badger's Latin name is Meles Meles, which is very similar to Mother Mellus' name.  Brock is an old English/Gaelic derivative word for a badger. 
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwallfan7

Primrosewarrior

MatthiasMan

Redwallfan7

quadrupple awesome!

WarriorOfMossflower

quintiple awesome
In process of rekindling my love for Redwall.

Lily

It is "awesome" and interesting, but this isn't the cellars, please try to make your posts meaningful.

I liked the Ask Brian when he answered where some of his names come from:

Quote from: Ask BrianTsarmina is a play on words , the female rulers of Russia were called Tsarinas. I put mean in there and so Tsarmina. Verdauga is from the Latin verd...green and auga..eye. Lord Greeneye.

DanielofRedwall

Another character is Korvuss Skurr. Corvus is the genus of which ravens and crows belong to. I've also noticed a couple of biblical names such as Matthias, Methusalah, John (sure, it is a pretty common name, but also biblical) and a few others I can't remember right now.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Dannflor

Luna means star stilaris means moon
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.