Rose (yes, Rose again): Did she actually die?

Started by Dannflower Reguba, July 10, 2012, 04:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:P

6 (54.5%)
5 (45.5%)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Dannflower Reguba

The first one is great, and I think the second is going to be really good too... That guy is an amazing writer!
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Felldoh154

Quote from: danflorreguba on July 14, 2012, 12:56:11 AM
I want a quote from the book itself. It never, through the narrators point of view said she was dead.

If you have hardback turn to page 371

"rowanoak shook her head wonderingly. "I heard him yesterday as I was walking through the forest. It must be very hard for him, he never mentions rose." polleekin busied herself with breakfast. "no marm nor will him'n, oi don't think never. That Liddle mouseymaid be locked in marthen's 'earth and thurr she'm bound to stay."

Obvious there but if you don't believe me I have one that says she died

Page 367

[Brome] reaching out he tucked in a corner of the simple white linen cloth that covered his sister's pitiful body. "Rose would have been alive today but for me you know."

Tell me she's still alive after that one :P

W0NWILL

I don't support of Rose being alive, but I don't mind it.

Felldoh154

She's not alive. Read the quote. Sorry but any way you put it she is dead

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Felldoh154 on July 14, 2012, 03:54:07 AM
Quote from: danflorreguba on July 14, 2012, 12:56:11 AM
I want a quote from the book itself. It never, through the narrators point of view said she was dead.

If you have hardback turn to page 371

"rowanoak shook her head wonderingly. "I heard him yesterday as I was walking through the forest. It must be very hard for him, he never mentions rose." polleekin busied herself with breakfast. "no marm nor will him'n, oi don't think never. That Liddle mouseymaid be locked in marthen's 'earth and thurr she'm bound to stay."

Obvious there but if you don't believe me I have one that says she died

Page 367

[Brome] reaching out he tucked in a corner of the simple white linen cloth that covered his sister's pitiful body. "Rose would have been alive today but for me you know."

Tell me she's still alive after that one :P

If you insist.

"Rose is still alive."

Seriously, that is still implying her death, not proving it.

Why do you have to be so synical?

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Felldoh154

Did you read the whole thing? Brome says his sister might be alive which means:
Hello?? She is dead!

Sorry I just like a good debate :)

W0NWILL

Quote from: Felldoh154 on July 14, 2012, 03:59:49 AM
She's not alive. Read the quote. Sorry but any way you put it she is dead

What I mean is, that I know that she is dead, but I enjoy to see it in fan fictions.

Felldoh154

W0NWILL

Griffen

if she survived why didn't she re-appear in any other book?

Felldoh154

Cuz she didn't survive :P in all honesty picturing her alive puts holes in half the books in the series because Martin would have done everything so differently

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Felldoh154 on July 14, 2012, 04:04:57 AM
Hello?? She is dead!

Ahhh. But that's the thing. He didn't say outright that she was DEAD... And besides. he was young, he is no authority on death yet.
And she doesn't have to appear in another book for her to be alive. And if you handle things right, you can keep the fabric of Jaques storylines whole and complete, yet still have Rose survive.... It's quite easy actually.

Tiria Wildlough

No you can't. ;)
Seriously, a stoat is as big as a small cat, and mice are smaller than your hand. (not mine. ;)) Even if Badrang was tired, he could still have killed her. She died.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Flandor

Ok, what settles it for me is that Aubretia would've known if Rose had lived.  She was a descendant of Brome and was able to tell the whole story, so obviously if Rose had "woken up" she would've shared that with the Redwallers.  And also, what if she was in a coma that looked like death? She would've been buried alive and then died.  That's dark but its true.  They wouldn't have left her body sitting there.  If they believed her dead, she'd have been buried, and if she was magically alive, Aubretia would've known about it.

I believe fully that Jacques meant that her spirit would always be remembered, and nothing more.  Nitpicking about what caused her death or if she was in a coma or anything doesn't make sense in the canon and isn't really in the Redwall spirit, in my opinion.  I buy that her "spirit" is undying, because Martin is clearly still "alive" in that regard, but physically, she died. 
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Felldoh154

Quote from: danflorreguba on July 14, 2012, 04:27:13 AM
Quote from: Felldoh154 on July 14, 2012, 04:04:57 AM
Hello?? She is dead!

Ahhh. But that's the thing. He didn't say outright that she was DEAD... And besides. he was young, he is no authority on death yet.
And she doesn't have to appear in another book for her to be alive. And if you handle things right, you can keep the fabric of Jaques storylines whole and complete, yet still have Rose survive.... It's quite easy actually.

Dude did you read it or not? Brome clearly states she is dead! And she is to be buried! Also every character says something about remembering her!! If you can't see that as death than you're not making a point, you're just being stubborn