Whales in the series

Started by Captain Tammo, September 03, 2011, 02:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Tammo

I forget which book it was, but I remember there were whales in one of the books and they were described as "bigger than the blinkin' abbey!". It always fascinated me, the size difference of a mouse/hare/squirrel etc. and whale and what would happen if one attacked a ship, or better yet, an entire fleet!  :o  However the whales were only in one book :'(

What are your thoughts on them?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

DanielofRedwall

As far as I can remember, they're only mentioned in the Pearls of Lutra.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Folgrimeo

I thought it was sea lions. Huh, don't remember whales, but yeah, they would be bigger than the Abbey. It'd be like Cluny's horse all over again, an awesome game-changing power if someone were to control it.

Osu

Pearls of Lutra, yep. ;D I have always loved that scene. Every time I read it, I want to paint it. I'd like to see a whale communicate with one of the characters, but it seems unlikely given the.... size, I guess. XD
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Nightfire

A remember a Martin the Warrior talking about how big the whales are, but I don't remember if it was the original Martin from Legend of Luke, or Martin II from Pearl of Lutra.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Redwall Musician

Hey, is it just me or should this go in the character discussion?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Captain Tammo

I'm not sure if it has to because the whales don't have a significant character part in the story. They aren't even named
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Redwall Musician

What would you name a whale? Gurrglewave? Islewill? Bob?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Yecha'liv. Tiz an ancient verzion o' the modern day Walezpeak. Meanz "Friendly little blue cloud." (No idea why tha' wid be a name...)
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Osu

I've heard Whalelord as a whale name before, not sure where it's from.

How about Willy?

DanielofRedwall

^
I googled it, it's from pokemon! Wailord, though, so a bit different!
Received mostly negative reviews.

Osu

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on September 13, 2011, 08:59:39 AM
^
I googled it, it's from pokemon! Wailord, though, so a bit different!
Pokemon! Hahaha! That's the perfect place to look for animal names, now you mention it. I am now picturing a Redwall whale named Magicarp.  ;D

Captain Tammo

How about, get ready....

MOBYDICK! I know, most original name for a whale ever!

Nightfire

Quote from: Redwall Musician on September 13, 2011, 02:32:48 AM
What would you name a whale? Gurrglewave? Islewill? Bob?

Definitely Bob! ;D I love that name!
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Gonff the Mousethief

when I read that part this is what I thought

I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.