Why are there always so few Long Patrol hares?

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, April 26, 2015, 09:23:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerLordFiredrake

Vermin hordes are always huge, while there's never that many hares.  Any thoughts why?
baby turtle forever

rrrrr

As stated, "Quantity vs quality."

To become a Long Patrol Hare, there are many qualifications and such, so naturally, not much get in. The others are all Runners and such. See "The Long Patrol" book.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

BadgerLordFiredrake

You'd think that in some Long Patrols, they'd _need_ new members (like that one that was composed of old hares, can't remember which book)
baby turtle forever

Mhera

Quote from: BadgerLordFiredrake on April 27, 2015, 02:06:41 AM
You'd think that in some Long Patrols, they'd _need_ new members (like that one that was composed of old hares, can't remember which book)
That was Lord Brocktree.

Anyhow, in Taggerung Russano had 1000 hares marching with him, and I think Cregga had the same number in The Long Patrol.

rrrrr

In Lord Brocktree, that was because there were no recruits.

@Mhera: Yes, that's true.
rrrrr.....

Ho arr, mateys, swimming is fun!

I had shrimp 'n' hotroot soup today.

The Mask

I don't think there's very few hares, they're just not characterized. Same with every animal living with redwall. Just because they don't have names, it doesn't mean they aren't there.
I am a squirrel, an otter, a mouse, a fox, a stoat, a ferret, a weasel, a wildcat, a hare, a hedgehog, a badger; I am the master of disguises, The Mask.

" I will burn the heart out of you." Moriarty, Sherlock

LT Sandpaw

Because quite simply if there was that many hares the story would be boring because the good guys would win so easily. However if were talking lore probably because of what it takes to become a warrior in the long patrol, its no walk in the park.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Hickory

IF you see the article on the Redwall Wikia, they say that the long patrol is technically a armed scouting patrol, not an army. Boar and Rawnblade's hares are all characterized as really just checking on things. Colonel Clancy's squad was small, but armed and skilled. Same for Boar's squads. In Long Patrol the squads got a little bigger (11), while Cregga's army is more like the combined patrol. Usually the amy is described as "a combined force".
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Skarzs

Sage made a good point: the Long Patrol itself would never be very big because it's a patrol, not an army.

As for why there seems to be so few hares in general it might have to do with their loyalty to the badger rulers, making them common deaths on the battle grounds. However, in many books there were quite a few hares, like in Salamandastron (I think), The Long Patrol, and at least one more, if I remember.

Also, some books don't even bring Salamandastron into the picture, so we have no idea how many hares would be there at those times.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

Interesting point. I can think of several reasons, but they've already been said - Just because they're not named/mentioned doesn't mean they're not there, so on and so forth.
there are a few books when there's not many hares, (Lord Brocktreem for reasons already stated, Mossflower, and a few others) but again the point of 'Just because they're not named/mentioned doesn't mean they're not there.'

Faiyloe

Also this, considered from a writers point of view, to many named and characterized characters can get to confusing and take the glory from those who really deserve it. By limiting the number of hares you hear about it help keep things neat. And again, not named doesn't mean not there.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Izeroth

A smaller number of hares emphasizes what great warriors they are. You wouldn't find it particularly impressive if, for example, 80 hares won a battle.

MatthiasMan

I always pictured the Long Patrol hares as an orderly gang/army. They're like the Special Forces. There aren't that many when they infiltrate places and such, but they are effective.

And I believe the saying is "Quality over quantity." Not quantity over quality.

So there're more of like a very organized well trained army vs. a not very bright and bloodthirsty gang of random rats.

The Skarzs

The Long Patrol was set up at the end of Lord Brocktree, and it was pretty obvious that there were hares left at Salamandastron. Once again, the Long Patrol is a patrol, not an army. They're probably the best of the best, strengthening that quality over quantity, so having more than a score would probably be unnecessary.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Hickory

Even if there was large amounts of hares at some point, it's because of Brian's choice to do so. They only EVER have hare armies when the vermin have a huge army. Swartt has a huge army, so does Sunflash. But when the hares are hunting a smaller pack, say Razzid and his crew, they don't do it iin a huge army. I believe Rake Nightfur had only a score... Brian simply added the Rogue Crew for

1. Additional warriors to assist Rake and stop his hares from being slaughtered
2. Deeper backstory
3. Someone for the vermin to fear
4. A little bit of comedy (Oh there's blood on the shield and blood on the sword blood blood blood blood  ;D)
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.