your least fav beast

Started by rakkety tam, September 16, 2011, 10:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Gryphon

As far as none of them having much different about them, I can feel your pain... I think I remember, when I was (much) younger, thinking all (or many) of the Skippers were the same character!

After all, they all had the same "name", and they all behaved the same, so I figured they were the same. ;)
« Subject to editing »

rakkety tam

not just the skippers all of the otters i know they all are differant beasts but brian J made it like they were all the same one
rock'n'roll  will survive

25% nerd 25% redneck 25% rocker 25% Redwaller  100% me

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Lutra

Touche, RT and James.   

You could probably make the same argument that many of the badgers and hares of Salamandastron are much alike too.  Yeah they have different names, but personality wise, you don't see hares on diets, and badgers that refuse the call of Salamandastron. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwall Musician

I dislike Trugga Bruster (however you spell his name) and I think that's it.
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

DanielofRedwall

I agree with those who argue about Deyna. I mean, *spoiler* an arrow killed a huge, powerful badger (Cregga), but only wounded an otter, who is far smaller compared to a badger!
Received mostly negative reviews.

James Gryphon

Well, in real life, a European river otter (the type of otter that Redwall otters are) isn't much smaller than a European badger (the type that all Redwall badgers are). A European otter can weigh about 15 and a half to 26 and a half pounds, and a European badger's size doesn't significantly differ from that, so in real life, it's possible that a female badger, like Cregga, could be the same size as an above-average otter.

Now, in Redwall, the size difference is exaggerated a lot more, and I've always pictured Redwall badgers as being at least twice as large as every other species on the planet, excepting wildcats (where they'd be maybe half again as large) and wolverines (which actually should be larger).

It's also worth noting that this isn't the same Cregga that we're used to, from either The Long Patrol or Marlfox. At this point she was extremely old, and relatively weak. She was a shadow of her former self, as far as physical strength, and probably shouldn't be rated any higher than, say, Mother Mellus -- who was killed by a sea rat blade.

In any case, though, Deyna surviving the arrow in the chest thing was still very unrealistic, and it seems that Eefera should have been able to escape, or at least left more of a mark than he did (since he was very likely the one who taught Deyna paw-to-paw combat in the first place, and since he wasn't injured at the time).

All I can say is that this isn't the first time that a protagonist has taken an arrow wound and shrugged it off. Martin took a hit to the paw from Tsarmina's bow, and it didn't cripple him for life (even though it could have -- we're talking about a wildcat firing a large bow and hitting him in the paw with it), or even appear to slow him down that much. Gurgan Spearback as well took a hit in The Long Patrol, and just pulled it out and kept on fighting like nothing had happened. So this isn't a unique case, just the most notorious one.
« Subject to editing »

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 18, 2011, 09:36:21 PM
As far as none of them having much different about them, I can feel your pain... I think I remember, when I was (much) younger, thinking all (or many) of the Skippers were the same character!

After all, they all had the same "name", and they all behaved the same, so I figured they were the same. ;)
I thought that with the Log-a_logs and Foremoles.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: James Gryphon on September 19, 2011, 09:34:03 PM
Well, in real life, a European river otter (the type of otter that Redwall otters are) isn't much smaller than a European badger (the type that all Redwall badgers are). A European otter can weigh about 15 and a half to 26 and a half pounds, and a European badger's size doesn't significantly differ from that, so in real life, it's possible that a female badger, like Cregga, could be the same size as an above-average otter.

Now, in Redwall, the size difference is exaggerated a lot more, and I've always pictured Redwall badgers as being at least twice as large as every other species on the planet, excepting wildcats (where they'd be maybe half again as large) and wolverines (which actually should be larger).

It's also worth noting that this isn't the same Cregga that we're used to, from either The Long Patrol or Marlfox. At this point she was extremely old, and relatively weak. She was a shadow of her former self, as far as physical strength, and probably shouldn't be rated any higher than, say, Mother Mellus -- who was killed by a sea rat blade.

In any case, though, Deyna surviving the arrow in the chest thing was still very unrealistic, and it seems that Eefera should have been able to escape, or at least left more of a mark than he did (since he was very likely the one who taught Deyna paw-to-paw combat in the first place, and since he wasn't injured at the time).

All I can say is that this isn't the first time that a protagonist has taken an arrow wound and shrugged it off. Martin took a hit to the paw from Tsarmina's bow, and it didn't cripple him for life (even though it could have -- we're talking about a wildcat firing a large bow and hitting him in the paw with it), or even appear to slow him down that much. Gurgan Spearback as well took a hit in The Long Patrol, and just pulled it out and kept on fighting like nothing had happened. So this isn't a unique case, just the most notorious one.
You have a point. Cregga was very old, whereas Deyna was in his prime. ;)
I HATE Druwp. And I hate the watervole in Eulalia!, and Yoofus Lightpaw. More later. ;)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Coobreedan

Slagar, but he's also one of my favourites.
I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

rakkety tam

If war must come, let it come during my generation, so that my children will know peace

Tiria Wildlough

I hate almost all the voles, and I hate Ovus. He makes me so mad. >:( I bet he'd betray his best friends for a bite of food.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skalrag of Marshank

I hate voles, too. they're just so unlikable, even the good ones. Except baby Rollo. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

rakkety tam

i like most of the voles my fav is yoofus and his wife

Dotti

Yoofus, to me, was QUITE annoying.  I loved the scene where he and Doogy looted the vermin camp, but I hate how he ran off with the banner and Tam's sword. >:(
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Lily

I have to agree with Skalrag and Tiria, I find most of the voles extremely hard to like. Druwp was especially bad. Yoofus was better, but he still annoyed me.