If these two Badgers were in a fight whould would win

Rawnblade Widestripe
9 (56.3%)
Lonna Bowstripe
7 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 30

alexandre

Quote from: Skarzs on August 17, 2016, 02:54:08 PM
Perhaps you can leave the polls up a little longer?

It has been awhile, but I finally obliged to your request  :P ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :o :o :o :o :o :o ;) ;) ;) ;) :D :) :) :P :P :P ::) O:-) O:-) O:-) O:-) O:-) O:-) O0
Why they try to tear the mountains down to bring in a couple more
More people, more scars upon the land

~ John Denver

And daddy won't you take me back to Muhlenberg County
Down by the Green River where Paradise lay
Well, I'm sorry my son, but you're too late in asking
Mister Peabody's coal train has hauled it away

~ John Prine

James Gryphon

Male European badgers are heavier than females, but only slightly larger overall. Both badgers are large and powerful creatures; Boar is probably more so, but Cregga is known for extreme Bloodwrathiness. All in all, strength and reach are probably not decisive factors here.

In armament, we're comparing a very large battle sword versus Cregga's halberd. The latter might have a little more range, but after seeing how hideously big Brocktree's was, and reasonably assuming that Boar's (which is described, albeit probably hyperbolically, as so big that the hares couldn't carry it) is similar, I'm not entirely sure about that. The sword is more maneuverable, too.

On defenses: Boar, like Brocktree, is heavily armored, in what his illustration depicts plainly as plate mail. Without rereading the book, to my knowledge, Cregga isn't known for wearing armor in Long Patrol (probably, given the circumstances, because bringing it along would have slowed her traveling). In my opinion, it's not unlikely that she wore it other times not depicted, as a lack of protection obviously doesn't mesh well with her preferred berserker fighting style, given the minor wounds she suffered in the fight with the blackbirds, and her being so readily blinded in the final clash with the Rapscallions.

If we assume neither badger is armored, this plainly gives Boar a big advantage, as the halberd's greater armor penetration is moot and he can go to work with his sword's greater maneuverability and good all-around cutting, slashing and stabbing power. With armor, the halberd is more useful, as it can be presumed to have more armor penetration than any sword.

The biggest, and in my opinion, deciding factors are experience and temperament. While Boar definitely had Bloodwrath at his side (Mariel outright stating that no badger lord, since Boar, had suffered it as heavily as Rawnblade Widestripe), we also see that he retains the ability to think during battle. He has great wisdom, knowledge and experience on his side that was unmatched by anyone else in the world at the time that he was alive (Martin wasn't even close). Cregga's Bloodwrath is her biggest weakness; she loses her head and charges blindly and directly into all of her attacks. If she kept her cool, as in sparring matches, she's clearly still a capable fighter, but I see no reason to suppose she is even with Boar in skill or that she could outthink him.

If neither have armor, I think it's a clear win for Boar. With armor is harder to say. I would still prefer Boar for the skill factor, but it isn't impossible that Cregga could eke out a win.
« Subject to editing »

Groddil

Quote from: Ashleg on September 27, 2016, 03:34:08 AM
Quote from: Delthion on September 27, 2016, 03:08:04 AM
Winner = Lady Cregga. ;D

Obviously!

Not if the one going up against Cregga is a certain creature by the name of...

Spoiler
Vallug Bowbeast (:P)
[close]

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Groddil

alexandre

My vote goes to Cregga, I feel she had more determination  :P O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Delthion

Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

James Gryphon

Quote from: Delthion on September 30, 2016, 05:06:41 AM
None can compete with her Bloodwrath! ;D
@Delthion: Except apparently for a greatrat...

Cregga's Bloodwrath is, overall, a disadvantage for her. Boar, who also had the condition, but was able to use it wisely, and is otherwise physically just as or more powerful as Cregga, slaughtered countless rats and crushed Ripfang (also a large, dangerous rat, who was much more experienced than Damug) to death while he led a party of ten beasts against a vast horde.

We didn't see Cregga accomplish anything even close with her uncontrolled fury.

I would (albeit, as an unashamed Boar fanboy) remind voters to remember this isn't the "which badger do I like better" poll, it's the "which badger would win" poll. Reasoned arguments should win the day here.
« Subject to editing »

Delthion

I was extremely disappointed by Boar in the books, so my vote would be with Cregga.
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

alexandre

Quote from: Delthion on October 01, 2016, 03:48:17 AM
I was extremely disappointed by Boar in the books, so my vote would be with Cregga.

I voted for Cregga too, but why were you disappointed in Boar. I thought he was awesome.

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

Delthion

I read Mossflower after most of the other books, and in Lord Brocktree when Stonepaw is in that chamber of dreams, "Boar the Fighter" was the best sounding name to me, and I really wanted to learn more about him. To find that his only mention in the book was forging Martin's Sword and dying terribly disappointed me.

alexandre

Quote from: Delthion on October 01, 2016, 06:22:53 AM
I read Mossflower after most of the other books, and in Lord Brocktree when Stonepaw is in that chamber of dreams, "Boar the Fighter" was the best sounding name to me, and I really wanted to learn more about him. To find that his only mention in the book was forging Martin's Sword and dying terribly disappointed me.

I sort of understand, though from the sound of things, he had quite a few adventures before Martin. Sounds like a good idea for a fanfic...

- The Redwall Rat

~ John Denver

~ John Prine

James Gryphon

Quote from: Delthion on October 01, 2016, 06:22:53 AM
I'm sorry that you didn't like his role in the story. But, that doesn't mean that Cregga would win in a fight. Do you have any arguments for her besides the one I responded to earlier?
« Subject to editing »

LT Sandpaw

I voted for Cregga based entirely on her halberd and legend, and the first battle that the Long Patrol fought against Rapscallions. She was said to have sank ships with that thing. A basic spear has a massive advantage over a sword simply due to length, and if Cregga can put speed and power behind her halberd she'd have a large advantage over Boar, not to mention the armor crushing abilities a halberd has over a simple sword.

I think like all these duels it could easily go either way, but I'd give Cregga the edge. I don't think Boar's strength and power would be enough to massively outdo Cregga's, so based on weapons Cregga wins.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro