News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

userstyle for the forum?

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, May 16, 2015, 03:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BadgerLordFiredrake

Anyone want to work on one w/me for the forum to make it look nicer?
baby turtle forever

Jetthebinturong

It would help if you explained what this meant...
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

BadgerLordFiredrake

A custom CSS file to create a different look for the forums (e.g. changing the blue borders to make them look nicer)
baby turtle forever

Jukka the Sling

Oh, like a skin?  That would be cool, but I have no idea how to program...
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Luftwaffles

It would be cool, indeed.

I personally have no clue on how to program on CSS, but feel free to contact me if you need help in other areas... maybe I can give you a hand there.
~Please be sure to join us if ever you are passing~.

Having problems joining the board or accessing your account? E-mail us! Have Redwall news or artwork to share? Tweet us!

James Gryphon

We actually discussed the idea of making a change in the theme for the April Fool's event, but Matthias is uncomfortable with making major changes like that; forum software can be delicate and he doesn't want to risk doing something that he might not be able to easily fix if something goes wrong.

I wouldn't say that it's absolutely out of consideration, but I'd recommend making things like new buttons, emoticons, etc., that can be added piecemeal, first.
« Subject to editing »

BadgerLordFiredrake

Quote from: James Gryphon on May 16, 2015, 04:44:23 PM
We actually discussed the idea of making a change in the theme for the April Fool's event, but Matthias is uncomfortable with making major changes like that; forum software can be delicate and he doesn't want to risk doing something that he might not be able to easily fix if something goes wrong.

I wouldn't say that it's absolutely out of consideration, but I'd recommend making things like new buttons, emoticons, etc., that can be added piecemeal, first.
I was actually thinking about making it separate and local at first - as it'd just be CSS (probably, at first) it wouldn't actually change functionality at all, and would be separate, meaning it'd be easy to install/remove from your local system.

Also, since this runs on PHP rather than AJAX for most things (especially considering the posts), there's not much to break.
baby turtle forever

Matthias720

It's not a question of functionality, but rather one of recovering. I don't host forum, the Redwall Abbey folks do that. Also, my ability to make style changes is somewhat limited. And while there are some things I can do, I do not believe those kinds of changes are necessary at this time. Even if we were to go ahead and make changes of some sort, I don't have the capacity to restore the forum from a backup if things go pear shaped. If I could do something like that, trust me, I would have already tweaked whatever is within my power to do so. I appreciate the consideration on your part, but this isn't something that will happen any time soon. Sorry.

BadgerLordFiredrake

Maybe I should be more clear - it's an external stylesheet that users can choose to install on their local machine.  The actual site doesn't host it or anything, so it's not the site that determines what changes - it's the stylesheet's creator and each individual user.  For example, this site contains many different userstyles for sites like Twitter, Google, etc.  It doesn't actually change everything for all users, only the ones that use the custom stylesheet.  For example, this is a quick thing I did to remove borders - nobody else has it (I assume :P) because I haven't shared the stylesheet (or script in this case).

In short, it's something that someone who doesn't even have an account can do assuming they know how to make userstyles, and it won't affect anybody besides those who choose to use the style from a third party.  Nothing to do with the actual site owners or host.
baby turtle forever

MeadowR

It would be nice to see a few changes to the design of the forum. As it stands it's quite earlier part of the 2000s in style. :P It's not a huge problem by any means, but yeah, any little changes in time would be rather nice. :)

(666 posts - woo. :p)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

BadgerLordFiredrake

Anyone want to post some mockups?  Summer is here so I can start working, but I need ideas :P
baby turtle forever