News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

From one goodbeast to the next, I challenge you. (Roleplay duel. Teer vs Seb)

Started by shisteer of nothing much, August 06, 2020, 10:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The duel is about to begin! It is up to the spectators to decide who wins. (No need to rush your vote. Some reasoning as to why you think a certain character should win would be helpful)

Benlan Axeblood! (Enthusiasm optional)
1 (50%)
Nitsyok Sagnarb! (Exclamation mark included)
1 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 2

shisteer of nothing much

"He WHAT?"
  The shrew ducked, as if to go under the shocked and horrified shout. Of all the days for Dunger's great auntie twice removed and once burried to die, it had to be today.
  "He left. A-Apparently he'll be back as soon as possible, but the funeral is today and he couldn't miss it. Wh-what's going to happen now, Ref Eustace?"
  The officious vole took a moment to regain his composure, smoothing his whiskers and straitening his vest.
  "You'll just need to find a new trumpeteer before ten o'clock. There's nothing else for it! Get going, quickly!"
  "Yes, Ref!"
  Eustace nodded, turning back to the other preparations. The doors would open up in ten minutes. There were already beasts turning up outside, waiting to come in. Early birds were so inconvenient.
  Dismissing the matter, the referee hurried inside, stopping a passing mouse who was carrying a tray of oils and brushes.
  "Are the contestants ready? They need to be out in half an hour. Make sure they have everything they need."
  The mouse threw a casual salute, smiling.
  "Aye, Ref Eustace. I just came from Nitsyok's chambers. His sister and brother are helping him with everything. About to check on Benlan."
  Eustace murmured a quick understanding and let him return to his work, hurrying up a gradual incline to the kitchens and snatching a raspberry pastie from the cooling rack, delicate crumbs showering the floor and plump belly alike.
  "Excellent work! Make sure there are plenty of drinks available too, and no lowering prices! I know how much you beasts like to give away food, but we need to make a profit too!"
  Three squirrels, each with a white cap and an apron, nodded, chorusing their understanding. It wasn't the first time they'd been reminded of this.
  The vole hurried out, catching sight of two weasels with rakes, about to go over the arena one last time. He scurried forwards, about to stop them when he felt a paw on his shoulder and looked down to see a dark volewife smiling up at him, her other paw occupied with their son.
  "Leave them alone, Eust. They know what they're doing. Here, come sit and play with little Stace for a few minutes. You'll be better for it."
  Eustace smiled reluctantly and took the babe from his mate's paws, smiling up at her.
  "Of course, dear."

~~Nitsyok~~

The otter warrior sighed contentedly, rolling his shoulders under the firm ministrations of his sister.
  "I really should git ready. Chain mail takes an annoyingly long time to get control of and I want to work it a bit before the fight. Tyson, surely my dagger is sharp enough now. Any more and it'll be reduced to dust."
  Tyson waved the whetstone, shaking his head at his older brother.
  "Not done. S'posed t'get hole in da rock."
  Nitsyok jumped to his footpaws, snatching the knife and stone from the rascal's paws and shaking his head in despair. There were now several nicks in the blade and the whetstone was worn very thin in the middle. Good thing that wasn't the blade he'd be using for combat. It would take half an hour to get that dagger sharp again.
  "Nay, tyke, it's not supposed to have a hole in the rock. Preparation time."
  Pulling the cupboard open, the warrior selected his red tunic and pulled it over his head, taking his cream trousers off as he did so. Deena stood up on the bed, helping to pull the heavy chain mail over the top and arrange it so the creases vanished, her thin paw going underneath to pull the tunic into order so that it was comfortable.
  "Where's your ear ring?"
  Tyson obligingly passed the gold loop up to her, his eyes never leaving Nitsyok's face. Things had suddenly become very serious and busy. Matching red bandana, wide reed belt, dagger, shot pouch, sling.
  "There, you're ready. One hug, then get out there and make us proud."
  Nitsyok scooped Tyson up and the three siblings embraced, a niggling thought stirring in the back of his mind.
  Will I ever hug them again?

In the arena, Eustace spoke out, drawing his voice into an announcer type length and calling everybeast to order.
  "Caaan I Pleeeaase have your Atttteeeentiooon? Iiiiin the areeena toooday, we have Benlaaaan Aaaaxeblooood and Nitsyooook Saaagnaaaarb! Giive them a waaarm welcome!"
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Benlan let out a shaky sigh, adjusting his chainmail shirt and belt. Today was the day.

He closed his eyes as he splashed a pawful of water on his face, shaking a bit from the coolness. He pawed the table surface for his towel, mindful not to spill the basin of water. As he wiped his face with it, his ear twitched as he heard the sound of a floorboard creaking to his left. Dropping the towel from his eyes he jerked backwards as he caught sight of a small beast standing right beside him.

Letting out a cry of surprise, the otter tripped over his own footpaws and crashed into a small table, sprawling out on the floor like a sack of apples.

"A-are you alright, Ben?" Tod's ears flattened back as he looked down on his brother. "I'm sorry I snuck up on you like that..." He gestured to the slightly ajar door. "It was open and I couldn't resist..."

Benlan scrambled back onto his footpaws, a grin plastered on his face. "I'm fine!" His voice was a notch or two higher than normal, so Benlan attempted to clear his throat with a cough. "Ahem, yeah, I'm fine," he repeated in a more normal tone. "What are you doing here? Why aren't you with mother?"

Tod grinned. "I wanted to be here to help send ya off, matey!"

Everything from the bounce in Tod's step to the smile beaming from his face made Benlan's heart plummet. His younger brother didn't doubt in him at all. Benlan struggled to find the words that he wanted to say. The words that he knew would chew on his soul if he never released them. The lack of warning from their father's death had been crushing. He didn't want Tod to have to go through that all over again – just in case things ended for the worse. He opened his mouth then closed it. Then repeated the motion again.

"...Are you sure you're alright?" Tod lifted an eyebrow. "You're acting kinda odd."

"Heh, yeah, I'm fine. Um... Tod." Benrick clasped his brother's shoulder and smiled faintly. "Just... Just in case I don't come out from the ring, I want you to know that you're the best brother a beast could ask for."

Tod blinked. "What are you talking about? Of course you're gonna win. You can beat that ol' Sasgnarb otter any day."
Benlan simply embraced his brother, holding him tight so he couldn't see the tears forming in his eyes. Tod seemed slightly confused, but seemed to inwardly shrug away his doubts as he returned the hug.

A cough sounded from the doorway. "Sorry to intrude," the mouse said as the two otters turned to him. "But everybeast is waiting for you out there."

Benlan pawed at his eyes. "Ahem. Alright, yes. I'm coming." Snatching up his spear and buckling on his short sword, he and Tod followed the mouse as he led them to the ring. The mouse brought them to the end of a hallway, a curtain hung in front of them, blocking their path.

"Once you hear your name being called, just walk right in, Master Benlan," the mouse said. "If it's alright with you, the lad and I should probably leave now," the added, indicating Tod.

When Benlan nodded, the mouse stood off to the side, waiting until after the two brothers once again embraced. Once they were done with their farewells, he clicked his teeth and began to lead Tod down the hallway, saying, "Come, lad. Let's go find you a good place to watch from, 'ey?"

Benlan's mouth was dry even though he had already drunk a decent amount of water. His ears detected the sounds of countless beasts in the arena – some talking and exchanging bets, and other breaking out into arguments as they fought over seating. Mixed smells of heavy perfumes and unwashed bodies seeped in through the curtain. Benlan detected the odor of freshly cooked fish, making him lick his lips unconsciously.

All thought of food was driven from his mind as the shout rang out.

"Caaan I Pleeeaase have your Atttteeeentiooon? Iiiiin the areeena toooday, we have Benlaaaan Aaaaxeblooood and Nitsyooook Sassgnaaaarb! Giive them a waaarm welcome!"

There was a rumbling sound like that of a thousand rolling wooden carts as the beasts in the arena began to cheer. 
Steeling himself, Benlan pushed took a deep breath and pulled the curtain aside, his heart hammering in his chest and his breath stolen away as he went to see what fate awaited him in the ring. 
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok Sagnarb pushed the curtain aside and strode confidently into the ring, shoulders back and head held high. The benches were packed with beasts, all cheering and clapping, though most of them were waiting to see how things would turn out before the started picking favourites. The front row of beasts, almost entirely consisting of otters had already decided their champions and were waving various items about enthusiastically, everybeast on his right chanting his name over and over again, while the ones on the left were chanting the name of Benlan.
  From the other side of the arena, another curtain opened and Nitsyok's opponent cane in, looking just about less confident than the Sagnarbian hero felt.
  The otter warrior smiled triumphantly, remembering the his father's saying.
  "Let fear have control and you've already lost."
  This Axeblood seemed to be walking to his death. Silly beast should never have accepted his challenge if he was this much of a coward. Killing him would be doing the world a favour.
  "Go Benlan! You kin do it, matey!"
  Nitsyok glanced sideways, noting that most of the crowd had quieted down to wait, leaving one beast still yelling encouragement at the top of his lungs. The beast in question was young and not very big, his voice had yet to deepen even. He looked quite similar to the ever-nearing opponent and, with a flash of insight, Nitsyok guessed that they must be brothers. Brothers that loved each other and were there for each other through thick and thin.
  Suddenly, Nitsyok wasn't so hungry to taste Benlan's blood and end his life. The other otter became no less of an opponent, but more of a real fellow beast, with a family that loved him. Nitsyok inwardly swore that, if he got the opportunity, he would spare this beast's life.
  Tyson's voice rang out in answer to the encouragement, slightly scornful.
  "No 'e can't! My brudder's a better fighter'n yores anyday!"
  Nitsyok let his mouth curve into a smile. Yes, he'd try to leave Benlan alive, but he wouldn't be losing either. He couldn't disappoint the young tyke.

Eustace nodded officiously, seeing that both combatants were in place. Raising his voice again, the vole droned out the rules, then gestured to the squirrel beside him.
  "Leeeeeet theeeeee duuuueeeel beeegiiiiin!"
  The squirrel raised a small horn to his lips and blew hard, ears drooping at the pitiful squeak that came out. Ref Eustace would probably duel him himself for that.
  Nitsyok untucked the loaded sling from his belt and advanced to within a few steps of his opponent, eyes never leaving Benlan's. He was quite clearly scared, but Nitsyok could tell he'd follow through to the end. The other otter wasn't running away, nor begging for mercy. A confident smile graced the Sagnarbian's face as both contestants began to circle each other, then Nitsyok feinted a swing to the left of Benlan's head, interested to see how he'd react.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Benlan scrambled back, holding up his spear to block the other otter's blow.

(OOC: Sorry for this being so bloody short.  :P I'm assuming most of the actual fighting posts will tend to be short though.)

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

(OOC: It's fine. They probably will be, to varying degrees)

Nitsyok pulled back before his sling had a chance to wind itself around his opponent's spear. It was a tactic that could be used later, but he didn't want to go there just yet.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

The Axeblood otter darted forward a few steps, lunging his weapon at Nitsyok's chest.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok stepped to the side with ease, closing the gap between the two beasts as he removed his dagger from his belt. Better to be closer. A sling could be used in a crowded space, but a spear would be at a significant disadvantage and would probably just impede the other beast's movements. Giving the Axeblood a fierce grin, Nitsyok made a slash with his knife, aiming to make a shallow cut in the otter's forepaw.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Benlan dodged, but not quite quick enough, his opponent's dagger slicing a nasty scratch along his lower arm. He took a sharp intake of breath, gritting his teeth at the sudden sting. Dropping to his haunches, he scooped up a pawful of sand and flung it at his enemy.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok turned his head away and blinked rapidly. Not a huge amount of sand had got in, but enough to make it uncomfortable. He brought his knee up to his crouched opponent's jaw in response and swung down on the beast's head with the hilt of his dagger, still blinking deliberately.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

The slimmer otter's jaw smacked closed, the heavy pain bringing tears to his eyes. He grasped his own dagger, not seeing Nitsyok's oncoming blow until it struck him. Luckily, Benlan moved to the side enough that the weapon didn't make a direct hit, instead giving him a painful bruise on his cheek.

Finally getting a hold of his weapon, the otter used it to slash out blindly at Nitsyok, hoping to drive his foe back enough to allow himself time to recover.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok winced and stepped back half a pace, taking a relaxed swing at the otter with his sling on the way, the fur on his shin suffering some from Benlan's blade. Allowing himself a quick wince as he felt warm blood seeping from the wound, Nitsyok gave his enemy a congratulatory grin.
"You finally managed to land a hit. For a complete novice, you've done well to survive this long."
His taunt was exaggerated, obviously. He was doing better than the Axeblood, but his opponent was certainly keeping him on his toes. If he had so far managed to appear unfazed, it wasn't a reflection of how he felt at each close dodge.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

Growling under his breath, Benlan refused to allow himself to get taunted into making a stupid move, instead rising to his footpaws and scrambling back a ways, taking the brief respite to make sure no serious damage had been done to him. So far, his wounds were painful, but not bad enough to take him out of the fight completely. He licked his dry lips, the taste of blood assailing his tongue.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok kept the distance between them, making sure Benlan didn't get far enough away to use his spear effectively. The crucial thing at this point was to manage distance. If the Axeblood got too far away, he would gain an advantage that the Sagnarbian didn't want to give. 
"No response? I assume that means I was correct in my estimation of your skill."

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Sebias of Redwall

"At this rate, all I need to do is wait until you tire yourself silly from blowing hot air."

Benlan recognized his opponent's thinking. Not enough room would make his spear as good as useless. He either needed more room or he needed to change tactics, and probably discard his spear in the process. The otter held his dagger between his teeth and grasped the shaft of his weapon, stepping forward and thrusting it into his opponent's midriff.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

Nitsyok was forced to let out an explosive whoof of air as the spear shaft was sent at his stomach. The otter doubled over, taking the opportunity to trap the shaft against his chest, using a paw to shove Benlan away as he yanked to the side, taking the spear with him. He considered using it himself, but dismissed the idea along with the weapon. Turning away from his opponent was a mistake.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!