News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

Favorite Quotes

Started by Rainshadow, September 14, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudie

Brandon Mull quotes

"Smart people learn from their mistakes. But the real sharp ones learn from the mistakes of others."
- Brandon Mull, Fablehaven

"We humans are conflicted beings. Our beliefs don't always harmonize with our instincts, and our behavior doesn't always reflect our beliefs. ... We wage war between the person we are and the person we hope to become."
- Brandon Mull

"Drink the milk."

"Choices determine character."
- Brandon Mull, Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary

"An unread book does nobody any good. Stories happen in the mind of a reader, not among symbols printed on a page."
- Brandon Mull

"When jumping is the sole option, you jump, and try to make it work."
- Brandon Mull, Grip of the Shadow Plague

"Excruciating agony makes me cranky."

"We all posses different gifts and abilities. How we use those gifts determines who we are."

"FABLEHAVEN: None who enter will leave unchanged. Trespassers will be turned to stone."
- Brandon Mull

"I hate how my past actions keep messing up my future options, Seth muttered.
Then you've started down the road to wisdom, Grandpa replied."

"I was vanquished by a deer!'
A giant magical flying deer with fangs,' Seth said, parroting a description Gavin had shared earlier.
That sounds a little better,' Warren conceded. 'Seth is in charge of my tombstone."

"....there is a difference between hearing and listening. You can't always help what you hear. But you can control what holds your interest, what you choose to dwell on."

"The only thing that would make her jealous would be if I led a parade riding a unicorn while ballerinas sang love songs."

"It was an emergency!" Seth blurted. "Read my lips - emergency reading - not some demented idea of fun. If I was starving, I would eat asparagus. If somebody held a gun to my head, I would watch a soap opera. And to save Fablehaven, I would read a book, okay, are you happy?"
You had best be careful, Seth," Grandma warned. "The love of reading can be contagious."
I just lost my appetite," he declared..."
- Brandon Mull

"Running toward danger is foolhardy. ... But so is closing your eyes to it. Many perils become less dangerous once you understand their potential hazards."
- Brandon Mull, Rise of the Evening Star

"The curse of mortality. You spend the first portion of your life learning, growing stronger, more capable. And then, through no fault of your own, your body begins to fail. You regress. Strong limbs become feeble, keen senses grow dull, hardy constitutions deteriorate. Beauty withers. Organs quit. You remember yourself in your prime, and wonder where that person went. As your wisdom and experience are peaking, your traitorous body becomes a prison."

"Hello," Newel said. "Look, Doren, we have visitors. Kendra, Seth, and ... Muriel's weirdo puppet."....Newel grabbed Seth's hand and shook it vigorously. "Congratulations. You just found yourself a secret entrance."
"So seriously," Doren said. "What's with the puppet?"

"Luck has a way of evaporating when you lean on it."
- Brandon Mull, Keys to the Demon Prison

"A crossbow?" Pigeon asked.
I left my battle-ax in my other jeans," the man said."
- Brandon Mull, The Candy Shop War

"Making mistakes is part of learning to choose well. No way around it. Choices are thrust upon us, and we don't always get things right. Even postponing or avoiding a decision can become a choice that carries heavy consequences. Mistakes can be painful-sometimes they cause irrevocable harm-but welcome to Earth. Poor choices are part of growing up, and part of life. You will make bad choices, and you will be affected by the poor choices of others. We must rise above such things."

"Then I'm going?" Kendra asked.
The adults in the room exchanged tacit glances before nodding.
Then we only have one more problem left to discuss," Seth said.
Everyone turned to him.
How do I get invited"

"That was cool.'
You're psychotic."

"I like pancakes."
- Brandon Mull

" You should have Hugo throw you in the pool."
The golem turned his head toward Seth, who shrugged.
"Sure, that would be fun."
Hugo nodded, grabbed Seth, and, with a motion like a hook shot, flung him skyward. Kendra gasped. They were still thirty or forty feet away from the edge of the pool. She had pictured the golem carrying Seth much closer before tossing him. Her brother sailed nearly as high as the roof of the house before plummeting down and landing in the center of the deep end with an impressive splash.
Kendra ran to the side of the pool. By the time she arrived, Seth was boosting himself out of the waster, hair and clothes dripping. "That was the freakiest, awesomest moment in my life!" Seth declared. "But next time, let me take off my shoes."

"Could you just call me Pigeon?" he asked the teacher when she read his name.
"Does your mother call you Pigeon?"
"No."
"Then to me you are Paul."
"Nathan Sutter," the teacher read.
"My mother never calls me Nathan."
"Is it Nate?"
"She calls me Honeylips."

"Are you her boyfriend?"
No, I'm her fiancé." Nate said.
We've been promised to each other since birth," Summer added.
Our wedding isn't until March."

"All boys belong in insane asylums."
- Brandon Mull

"For Frito-Lay!" - Newel and Doren"

It was one thing to snuggle a little when the world seemed about to end, and quite another to explain to her parents that she wanted to date an ancient magical horse."

"The society killed Kendra."...Don't mention it to Verl. He might dive into a chasm."
- Brandon Mull
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

KitrallStreamrippler

Wow. You, uh, like Brandon Mull, huh?
Quote"Drink the milk."
Haha! Yesterday I saw part of a Fullmetal Alchemist episode, and Winry was trying to make Ed drink his milk. :D (He hates cow milk, for some reason.)
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

Maudie

Yeah, I like Mull. He's an awesome comedian, and it's all squeaky clean. Never uses a swear word, yet. I hope he'll stay like that, cause some authors I've seen were perfectly clean at first, but they started cussing a bit. :P
"And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." John 17:3

Buzz_Bumble

For computer "nerds" there's this old one:
QuoteWindows: 32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor, written by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition.

Or maybe this one:
QuoteHelp me to always give 100% at work / school ...
     12% on Monday
     23% on Tuesday
     40% on Wednesday
     20% on Thursday
      5% on Friday

Maudie

Quote from: My DadAnyone can smile when there's no cause to frown, but the man worth his while is the man who can smile when his entire humongous bowl of zucchini bread batter falls upside down onto the disgusting kitchen floor.

That's what my dad said when I had made a quadruple batch of zucchini bread and right before I was going to put it in loaf pans to cook my sister bumped it and the whole thing fell on the floor.

I was not happy that day.  :P >:(

Maudie

"I'm all I've got!" -Ferdinand the Duck from Babe.

Rusvul

FABLEHAVEN IS AWESOME!!! Ahem. :D

Maudie

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on July 27, 2013, 09:29:05 PM
FABLEHAVEN IS AWESOME!!! Ahem. :D

Another fan! Yay! I thought I was the only one.

KitrallStreamrippler

Quote from: Mask on July 24, 2013, 08:50:37 PM
Quote from: My DadAnyone can smile when there's no cause to frown, but the man worth his while is the man who can smile when his entire humongous bowl of zucchini bread batter falls upside down onto the disgusting kitchen floor.

That's what my dad said when I had made a quadruple batch of zucchini bread and right before I was going to put it in loaf pans to cook my sister bumped it and the whole thing fell on the floor.

I was not happy that day.  :P >:(
Aw. :( I'm sorry.  Zucchini bread is awesome, too. :'(

"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." -Marilyn Monroe
Everyone should live by this advice. Everyone.
A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight!

blindsimeonjtp

may the force be with you . ( classic) .

Rainshadow

My new favourite quote that I found whilst reading an interview.  I was cracking up when I read it!

"'Owl City' comes from a wee incident I had in Scotland back in 1994.  I used to visit my wonderful creaky grandmother in Edinburgh every year, and it was that particular year that I happened to be waltzing scot-free through the lovely Scottish foothills when I suddenly came upon a deep, dark, marvelously mysterious forest.  This forest was literally crammed full of owls.  Big owls, small owls, fat owls, skinny owls, tall owls, short owls, smart owls, dumb owls, tough owls, sissy owls, owls who climb on rocks...you name it.  It was literally a city of owls, and me being the incredibly clever bloke I so happen to be, thought 'Owl City' had a bit more of a ring to it than 'City of Owls.'"  ~  Adam Young
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

I'm Sailing!!!!!!!!!!
-From Vot Aboot Bob?

Ach, ah love zat movie...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Ferrousferret

A lot of quotes stick with me, but I can never think of things when I'm put on the spot. Lol

Anyway, here's the "Wizard's Rules" from the Sword of Truth series. Essentially, they come up with this whole philosophical thing where an aspiring Wizard must come to fully understand, utilize & guard against 10 basic rules. They are:

1) People are stupid. They will believe any lie either because they want it to be true, or are afraid it might be.

2) The greatest harm can result from the best intentions.

3) A man's passion rules his reason.

4) There is healing in true forgiveness.

5) A person's actions reveal their intentions more than their words.

6) Allowing yourself to willingly believe a lie is treason unto yourself.

7) Live for the future, not the past.

8) Fight for and truly deserve the good things in your life.

9) A contradiction of logic cannot exist in reality. It proves one or more of your beliefs are wrong.

10) Don't allow someone else to choose a path for you that you do not agree with.

These aren't the exact quotes. I simplified them to make them easier to understand. Trusty me. Wizard's First Rule is literally stated as "People are stupid." Also, I think a couple of them may be out of order.

Captain Tammo

"I'm Happy, Hope You're Happy Too."
~David Bowie "Ashes to Ashes"

"If You Can't Explain It Simply, You Don't Understand It Well Enough."
~Albert Einstein
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Maudie

Quote from: HeadInAnotherGalaxy on August 07, 2013, 09:15:36 PM
I'm Sailing!!!!!!!!!!
-From Vot Aboot Bob?

Ach, ah love zat movie...

I sail, I'm a sailor! Ahoy!