News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Redwaller, June 02, 2013, 08:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jetthebinturong

I'm pretty sure Hazel and Gus were only seventeen in TFiOS which is an age most people don't want to get married at and even if they did they'd have to get permission from their parents first who probably wouldn't give it because honestly who let's their child marry when they're seventeen.

Also some Christians don't get married before they have sex, even some that believe you have to. And so long as they recognise it as sin and apologise to God, the rest of Christianity should be okay with that.
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

James Gryphon

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 27, 2015, 10:50:41 PM
Oh no, it's talking about sex!
If one or both of you is likely to die soon and you know what sex is and how to do it, you're going to have sex, no two ways about it.
[close]
There are numerous people who would disagree with this idea, whether because it's in opposition with their religious principles, or, from a totally utilitarian perspective, because it's impractical (being done as opposed to using the same time to find a way to survive). This has already been covered by previous posts, though.

Spoiler
and I don't see how one can be "corrupted" by finding out about a biological necessity of species propagation that is ingrained into their brains..
[close]
It isn't just about the physical action in and of itself, it's about the attitude of modern society that is obsessed with this activity, and holding to unrestrained self-gratification, attempts to engrain their obsession into every aspect of social life. (Not to mention the implicit encouragement of adulterous thoughts and behavior.)

words are words, denying people the usage of certain ones because they're "bad" is ridiculous.
The only reason why anybody would want to use a true swear word in the first place is to denigrate or condemn someone or something else. As for most of the other ones, they're simply crude attempts to combine the former with references to bodily functions. Toilet references might intrigue three or four-year-olds, but I'd hope adults would be beyond this.

They aren't supposed to but they do. And the ones I know drink responsibly.
I know we don't see eye to eye on this, but I hope you can understand that this is a contradiction in terms, to someone who believes that part of a young person's responsibilities are to honor and obey authority.
« Subject to editing »

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: James Gryphon on August 27, 2015, 11:55:32 PM
Spoiler
and I don't see how one can be "corrupted" by finding out about a biological necessity of species propagation that is ingrained into their brains..
[close]
It isn't just about the physical action in and of itself, it's about the attitude of modern society that is obsessed with this activity, and holding to unrestrained self-gratification, attempts to engrain their obsession into every aspect of social life. (Not to mention the implicit encouragement of adulterous thoughts and behavior.)
I am also frustrated by society's obsession with sex but that isn't what Jukka was saying. Or at least, that was not what it seemed like she was saying. Sex outside of marriage and adultery are two completely separate things. Marriage is a commitment to another person which means that you want to be with them and an implicit promise that they are the only person you will engage in a relationship with. To say that sex outside marriage encourages adultery is fallacious because it simply isn't true. I don't believe in not having sex before marriage, I'm totally against cheating. My friend Baran thinks the same, as does my friend Oscar, as does my friend Jack, as does my friend Jas, as do the vast majority of atheists and even some non-atheists (my friend Etty, for example).

words are words, denying people the usage of certain ones because they're "bad" is ridiculous.
The only reason why anybody would want to use a true swear word in the first place is to denigrate or condemn someone or something else. As for most of the other ones, they're simply crude attempts to combine the former with references to bodily functions. Toilet references might intrigue three or four-year-olds, but I'd hope adults would be beyond this.
That's not usually why people swear. Swearing is usually an exclamation of annoyance, anger or pain (Or an attempt by a six year-old kid to look cool).

They aren't supposed to but they do. And the ones I know drink responsibly.
I know we don't see eye to eye on this, but I hope you can understand that this is a contradiction in terms, to someone who believes that part of a young person's responsibilities are to honor and obey authority.
Technically it's only illegal to buy alcohol yourself before the age of eighteen (or twenty-one in most of America) but it is up to the discretion of your parents/guardians whether or not you are allowed to consume alcohol at home so going against authority is only sometimes the case.

Jukka the Sling

Quote from: Jetthebinturong on August 28, 2015, 12:15:18 AM
Spoiler
[close]
I am also frustrated by society's obsession with sex but that isn't what Jukka was saying. Or at least, that was not what it seemed like she was saying. Sex outside of marriage and adultery are two completely separate things. Marriage is a commitment to another person which means that you want to be with them and an implicit promise that they are the only person you will engage in a relationship with.
It's actually an explicit promise (unless you're using some of those modern vows that water down your promises until they're worthless).

QuoteTo say that sex outside marriage encourages adultery is fallacious because it simply isn't true. I don't believe in not having sex before marriage, I'm totally against cheating. My friend Baran thinks the same, as does my friend Oscar, as does my friend Jack, as does my friend Jas, as do the vast majority of atheists and even some non-atheists (my friend Etty, for example).
Well, the Bible says that premarital relations is adultery in and of itself, but I know that doesn't carry any weight with you, so how's this?

Premarital relations is damaging to the people involved because: A) It cheapens the value of that act.  B) Since there is no official commitment [marriage], either partner can just walk away from the relationship more easily than if they were married, leaving the other partner devastated - more devastated than they would've been had they not been so close.  C) If they're cohabiting, it doesn't create a stable home to raise children in, for the former reason.  D) If the father walks out, then the mother is left to raise her child(ren) alone (usually) and will probably end up on welfare.

So, there you are.  I had a longer post, but I lost it, but I think this one's better 'cause it's more concise.
"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater." ~J.R.R. Tolkien

Delthion

Another reason for siding with the Imperials
Ulfric is also a former asset of the Thalmor.
[close]

And on another note, the Dawnbreaker is really cool... ;D ;D

One thing that I don't like about Skyrim is that it is very hard to be actually a good character, so easy to steal, pickpocket, and murder other people...I am a lvl 21 High Elf named Gertholon, and I am trying to mend my ways...(seriously but still requires a ;D)
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 28, 2015, 01:42:52 AM
Spoiler
[close]
I am also frustrated by society's obsession with sex but that isn't what Jukka was saying. Or at least, that was not what it seemed like she was saying. Sex outside of marriage and adultery are two completely separate things. Marriage is a commitment to another person which means that you want to be with them and an implicit promise that they are the only person you will engage in a relationship with.
It's actually an explicit promise (unless you're using some of those modern vows that water down your promises until they're worthless).

QuoteTo say that sex outside marriage encourages adultery is fallacious because it simply isn't true. I don't believe in not having sex before marriage, I'm totally against cheating. My friend Baran thinks the same, as does my friend Oscar, as does my friend Jack, as does my friend Jas, as do the vast majority of atheists and even some non-atheists (my friend Etty, for example).
Well, the Bible says that premarital relations is adultery in and of itself, but I know that doesn't carry any weight with you, so how's this?

Premarital relations is damaging to the people involved because: A) It cheapens the value of that act.  B) Since there is no official commitment [marriage], either partner can just walk away from the relationship more easily than if they were married, leaving the other partner devastated - more devastated than they would've been had they not been so close.  C) If they're cohabiting, it doesn't create a stable home to raise children in, for the former reason.  D) If the father walks out, then the mother is left to raise her child(ren) alone (usually) and will probably end up on welfare.

So, there you are.  I had a longer post, but I lost it, but I think this one's better 'cause it's more concise.

Spoiler
Most premarital sex involves condoms, so the chance of having a baby is reduced significantly. Yes, there are instances of the condom breaking, but still. 
[close]
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Jetthebinturong

Quote from: Lord_Ashenwyte on August 28, 2015, 05:50:30 AM
Quote from: Jukka the Sling on August 28, 2015, 01:42:52 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Most premarital sex involves condoms, so the chance of having a baby is reduced significantly. Yes, there are instances of the condom breaking, but still. 
[close]

Or some other form of contraceptive, yes.

Also a woman walking out on a father and leaving him to raise a child alone is just as bad as the man walking out on a mother. Unless your talking about when the child hasn't been born and the man leaves when the woman is pregnant.

Delthion

I am a Quaestor with the Imperial Legion.

Is there anyway to join the Blades?
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Jetthebinturong

Delthion

Delthion

*Bump.*

I just killed Ulfric what's-his-name, the leader of the Stormcloaks.

Rainshadow

Did you actually kill him, or did you let General Tullius do it?  I decided not to give him the death he wanted, but to let the general kill him instead.  Then I stole all of his gear.  ;D
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Delthion

I killed him. But I didn't collect any of his gear...I actually forgot. But I was thinking that it would make for a good song and I wanted to kill him. ;D ;D

Lady Ashenwyte

The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Delthion

I destroyed Alduin at level 26, the last time, not the other time when you have to fight him single-handed. I am married, recently bought a house in Solitude and, yeah, nothing else of note. ;D ;D