Size of the rooms?

Started by Alfoh the Elder, June 13, 2018, 07:12:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfoh the Elder

I was wondering how big are the rooms in Redwall to contain all of the inhabitants?

The Skarzs

That's a good question!
You know, it was never really said how big Redwall is, though people have made good estimates, and the population has never been consistent. This makes it difficult to tell how big the rooms need to be.

It is said that there are dormitories, which is a much more efficient way of housing people. If we were to compare to real life, and guess that the population is around 250 Redwallers, we might guess that we could fit a bed in every six by eight feet. That comes to around 12,000 square feet of floor space. We know that there are a few levels to the abbey, so this could be spread out over two or three floors.
There are probably a few private rooms as well, like the gatehouse, the attic, probably the Abbot's/Abbess's room, and others.

Hopefully that was not more complicated than you wanted.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Alfoh the Elder

Not to much information. But what about the Great Hall and Cavern Hole because they have to fit all of the Redwallers into them? I think the Great Hall would be at least 1600 square feet.

The Skarzs

Did you mean 16,000? If so, that sounds about right. Just with a very high cieling. (At least, that's how I imagine it.) They need to be pretty big to allow for moving around, as well as containing the bulky tables and stools.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Alfoh the Elder

1600 feet of floor space.

The Skarzs

Which would be a 40 foot by forty foot area, right?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Alfoh the Elder

Alfoh the Elder

I was thinking 80 by 20