News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Netflix has the Redwall rights

Started by LordTBT, February 10, 2021, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthias720

To say I am excited by this news is an understatement. I've waited for the day that Redwall finally gets mainstream attention for so long. I'm hoping that it will get the attention it deserves, leading to more people becoming fans and more merchandise made available.

A small theory on my part: the news of this deal reached our ears less than a week after the 10th anniversary of Brian's passing, indicating that maybe Brian's will had a directive that no adaptations would be made from Redwall for at least 10 years after his passing. I have no proof of this, but the timing is suspicious to me. The anniversary was on Friday, so perhaps the deal was finalized Monday, paperwork and such taking a day or two, leading to the announcement Wednesday?

Speculation aside, even if the series is less than faithful, I'm sure it will bring readers both old and new back into the community. Each of us should do everything we can to make any newcomers feel particularly welcome.

LordTBT

Quote from: Matthias720 on February 11, 2021, 06:33:07 AM
To say I am excited by this news is an understatement. I've waited for the day that Redwall finally gets mainstream attention for so long. I'm hoping that it will get the attention it deserves, leading to more people becoming fans and more merchandise made available.

A small theory on my part: the news of this deal reached our ears less than a week after the 10th anniversary of Brian's passing, indicating that maybe Brian's will had a directive that no adaptations would be made from Redwall for at least 10 years after his passing. I have no proof of this, but the timing is suspicious to me. The anniversary was on Friday, so perhaps the deal was finalized Monday, paperwork and such taking a day or two, leading to the announcement Wednesday?

Speculation aside, even if the series is less than faithful, I'm sure it will bring readers both old and new back into the community. Each of us should do everything we can to make any newcomers feel particularly welcome.

We can say we're confident this wasn't the case. However, the press release was likely released after the anniversary intentionally. Press releases rarely drop the day a deal is finalized. Wheels have likely been in motion for some time, and the screenplay has likely been in progress for at least a few months.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ah vonder if zey're gaein' tae/'ave gaetten any o' ze people from zat Mossflower attempt zat vaz made yearz agae...

Zpeakin' o' vhich, Ah vonder if zey'll get any o' ze voice-actorz from ze original zeriez back fer ziz. Zat moight be intereztin'.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Dannflower Reguba

Well this is exciting. Given that it's Netflix, I feel we have similar chances for the adaptation to be really good or bad, but honestly, I'm feeling kinda hopeful for this one. The Dragon Prince (made by Netflix) is regarded by some (myself included) to be the spiritual successor to the well-acclaimed Avatar: the Last Airbender. I have full confidence that they are capable of the task, though I must add that I hope they're willing to maintain a certain level of the gruesomeness from the original book.

Quote from: Captain Wortshire on February 10, 2021, 05:35:05 PM
All I'm asking for is this...

STAY CLOSE TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL!

(who thinks it will be done in realistic cg?)

Doubtful, CGI like we see today would be incredibly expensive, most Netflix originals don't have Hollywood levels of funding behind them. Not to say they're underfunded, Netflix isn't poor, but it's not likely to compare to major titles backed by companies like Disney or Pixar. And on the source material end, expect changes, they always happen when converting books to digital format. That having been said, most Redwall stories lend themselves a bit better to that transition than other books. Given a bit of luck and a savvy writer, we may not be looking at core changes to the story.

I'm really hoping for good VA's, I wasn't too impressed with the original cartoon's voices.
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Dannflower Reguba on February 11, 2021, 11:50:08 PM
Doubtful, CGI like we see today would be incredibly expensive, most Netflix originals don't have Hollywood levels of funding behind them. Not to say they're underfunded, Netflix isn't poor, but it's not likely to compare to major titles backed by companies like Disney or Pixar.
Not to mention the Netflix attempt at 'realistic' CGI with Watership Down ended up being a bit... uncanny. I would hope if they did go down that route it would look more like The Lion King, but Netflix just doesn't have to budget to do something on that level, so probably 2D animation is safer, having a bit of a comeback, and can still look absolutely fantastic.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Captain Wortshire

I'm really hoping for good VA's, I wasn't too impressed with the original cartoon's voices.

As long as they don't sound like they are doing an anime dub, I'm down for anybody to do the voices.
[move][/move]
"It's so sad. Nobody understands you. But the truth is you're the one who finds everyone & everything to be a pain in the butt."
"The moon tide is tugging on our hearts right now."
"Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul"
"We're making the mother of all omelettes here. Can't fret over every egg"
Spoiler
[close]

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on February 12, 2021, 06:45:18 AM
Doubtful, CGI like we see today would be incredibly expensive, most Netflix originals don't have Hollywood levels of funding behind them. Not to say they're underfunded, Netflix isn't poor, but it's not likely to compare to major titles backed by companies like Disney or Pixar.
Not to mention the Netflix attempt at 'realistic' CGI with Watership Down ended up being a bit... uncanny. I would hope if they did go down that route it would look more like The Lion King, but Netflix just doesn't have to budget to do something on that level, so probably 2D animation is safer, having a bit of a comeback, and can still look absolutely fantastic.

Going back to my original example of Dragon Prince, Netflix can absolutely do 3D animation (albeit, the first season was kinda scuffed, but that was more framerate than art). There's a distinct difference between 3D animation and realistic animation, especially when it comes down to all the hairs and fibers and whatnot.

Quote from: Captain Wortshire on February 12, 2021, 08:25:46 AM

As long as they don't sound like they are doing an anime dub, I'm down for anybody to do the voices.

There are plenty of anime with good dubs. Though, from what I've heard, there's a serious problem with conveyance of emotion when it comes to how anime does it vs. the English language. That having been said, I don't care how much the voice doesn't fit, I would fly outa my seat if I heard Todd Haberkorn was a VA for these projects (he almost certainly won't, but I can dream).
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Tungro

I hope they don't mind keeping the darker aspects. Despite the fairly simple morals and characters, reading the worst death thread makes me hope it doesn't just get overlooked and they stay close to the books.

I'm interested to see how they'll go about that though. As great as it would be to get the books in movie form, I'm cautiously optimistic to any expansion they have in mind. A great example of a movie that doesn't follow the book, but is still a great addition and contribution, is the 2011 Tintin movie. If they can manage the same way that'd be phenomenal

LordTBT

Netflix has said recently they want to compete with Disney. I bet the rights to a 22-book saga weren't cheap. And given the expanse of the fantasy world, as well as the incredibly positive response to the news, they're probably not going to nickel-and-dime the production.

I'm also hopeful the voice cast consists of some big names.

clunylooney

Ooh! This is VERY exiting! I hope they do Mossflower instead of Martin the Warrior. We've already seen MTW. Although, maybe they'll do a thing where they do BOTH. That'd be cool. 
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Sailears

Any word on who'll be doing the music? Curious on what they're going to go for in terms of style and theme.
My ears, how are you, wot!

LordTBT

Quote from: clunylooney on February 13, 2021, 04:22:03 PM
Ooh! This is VERY exiting! I hope they do Mossflower instead of Martin the Warrior. We've already seen MTW. Although, maybe they'll do a thing where they do BOTH. That'd be cool. 

I think you have to do both if you're adapting the "life" of Martin, right?

Quote from: Sailears on February 13, 2021, 05:16:40 PM
Any word on who'll be doing the music? Curious on what they're going to go for in terms of style and theme.

A bit too early to determine that.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Sailears on February 13, 2021, 05:16:40 PM

Ah really enjoyed ze muzic from ze telivizion zeriez, zae Ah 'ope zey 'ave zummat zimilar tae zat...
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Rosie Willowwater

Yes, that music was wonderful! I found the Redwall series through my older sisters, but since I was too young to read such large books the TV show was what really drew me into the world, in part because of the music and atmosphere. I have a lot of fond nostalgia for its music, and I bet if this new movie/show goes down a similar route there will be a lot of new little-Rosies to fall in love with it as well. I can't wait to see what they do!

Mara the Wolf

Maybe set fire to Dumble and every Dibbun except Rollo, especially if they end like Pipkin in the 1999 Watership Down TV series.
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general