Have you ever wondered....

Started by abbotsrboss, October 21, 2012, 08:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abbotsrboss

I have always wondered what Redwall's plates and utensil's are made of... if they are made of metal, wouldn't Redwall need a blacksmith of some sort or a place to mine all the metal?  There are a surprising amount of things that you just really don't think about in the Redwall series...

Abbotsrboss

:)

I wish I was as wise as a Redwall Abbot

Rainshadow

I would guess that their utensils are made of wood and the dishes of wood or clay.  But hey, that's just my guess.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Lutra

My guess is clay, since clay pottery was quite common and serving trays were around.  Utensils...not so much.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Matthias720

Well if you recall from The Legend of Luke, Garraway Bullow's dad Daddo spent all his free time carving new spoons because the kits kept stealing them to sail them like little boats. So I would say the most common implements and utensils would be carved from wood.

abbotsrboss

Quote from: Matthias720 on October 22, 2012, 01:45:46 AM
Well if you recall from The Legend of Luke, Garraway Bullow's dad Daddo spent all his free time carving new spoons because the kits kept stealing them to sail them like little boats. So I would say the most common implements and utensils would be carved from wood.
[/quote

That's what I thought of at first!  I never really thought of clay, but that makes the most sense since the creatures could get clay right in the grounds of their Abbey.  However, I'm thinking there must be some sort of metal quarry or something in Mossflower because how else would the animals have made swords among other weapons?
Also, feel free to leave questions of your own in this thread.

Abbotsrboss :)
I wish I was as wise as a Redwall Abbot

Leatho Shellhound

Well in Doomwyte all thoughs things are said to be made out of clay.
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

W0NWILL

Quote from: abbotsrboss on October 21, 2012, 08:58:40 PM
... if they are made of metal, wouldn't Redwall need a blacksmith of some sort or a place to mine all the metal?...

Well, the cellerhog sometimes doubles as a abbey blacksmith. It mentioned in Legend of Luke, about mining, that might be part of the molecrew's job. Though I suppose only the things that needed to be sharp or durable would be metal. For anything else, they would probably use clay or wood for convenience.

Dreamer

wood, clay, maybe stone. That would be my guess.
~Dreamer~

Tam and Martin

And in High Rhulain, Brink Greyspoke the cellarkeeper molded the gold that was used to make Tiria's crown.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

UNKN0WN

I wonder where Matthias lived before he came to redwall?

Lord Gorath

Maybe with a squirrel who used a bagpipe and poison darts.

Leatho Shellhound

Oh also in the Roge Crew it said some thing about wooden spoons
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

winifred

And in the pearls of Lutra it talked alot about Mrs. Goody being famous in the kitchens for her clay-work! :)
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Kitsune

Tiria Wildlough

Quote from: Lord Gorath on December 02, 2012, 11:19:21 PM
Maybe with a squirrel who used a bagpipe and poison darts.
That was random... 8)
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.