Martin knows Matthias?

Started by Alessandro Reinares, July 08, 2011, 08:38:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alessandro Reinares

How did Martin know about Matthias even if it was years ago?

daskar666

Post deleted.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Check out the chronological (the order in which the books occured) order of the series, in the General Redwall Information topic. That should clear a few things up.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

The world of redwall is very mysterious.... Then again, maybe Martin got really bored one day and decided to write "I am that is" behind the tapestry and hide a bunch of riddles  ;)
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lily

Possibly by the same way Badger Lords seem to know who will follow them. We're not supposed to know exactly how, they just... know. It's part of the mythos of the Redwall universe.

Storm

Maybe something like what made the badger lords make the pictures on the walls. A sort of magic guides them to foretell the things that will come to pass.
Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your ears.
I have come to bury Caesar, not praise him.
"Julius Caesar" by William Shakespeare

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Martin was directed by Luke to leave those clues, before his father left to hunt Vilu Daskar. He was following the way of the warrior, preparing his sword for another. My two cents have been added.

Osu

I just found at the end of Legend of Luke, Martin recites one of the Redwall poems to... Germaine, was it? She recorded it in her journal. So maybe he did know, possibly in a manner like Lily suggested.
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

That and the preparation Luke had told him to do when he was nearly too young to wield the sword himself

Kitsune

Martin the warrior

Quote from: Osu on July 11, 2011, 04:43:45 PM
I just found at the end of Legend of Luke, Martin recites one of the Redwall poems to... Germaine, was it? She recorded it in her journal. So maybe he did know, possibly in a manner like Lily suggested.
I just looked that up and martin says he has no one to give the sword to and than he relates where the sword is in the poem plus Martin and Matthies are both warriors so that some what of a connection it just like how abbes Germaine when they found her tomb in Mattimeo  the statue of her had the riddle on it to find Loamhedges she must have just known somebeast would need it.
Apples is ripe when they are ready  
When pears is ripe they'll fall
What must happen will happen or       
it won't happen at all

To love, you must first love yourself

Romsca

Maybe Matthias was someone Martin knew, so Martin was talking about him, but a long time later, the Matthias from Redwall comes to get the sword

Faiyloe

Many many Redwlers have had Vinson's and dreams from past worriers particularly martin. why couldn't His father Luke send him a dream of some kind after Martin got back from his quest in "Legend of Luke". In that book it said that he hung up his sward forever and hid it on the weather vain. By that point he would have known of his fathers death and more importantly we would so it would make sens. 
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

Chipster of Noonvale

Quote from: Captain Tammo on July 11, 2011, 06:07:04 AM
The world of redwall is very mysterious.... Then again, maybe Martin got really bored one day and decided to write "I am that is" behind the tapestry and hide a bunch of riddles  ;)
I found that post hilarious ;D

This is an interesting question though...I don't know how it could be explained...

Hazelrah42

Quote from: Storm on July 11, 2011, 01:46:43 PM
Maybe something like what made the badger lords make the pictures on the walls. A sort of magic guides them to foretell the things that will come to pass.

I agree with this statement. I believe that sometime between Mossflower and the Outcast of Redwall, Martin journeyed back to Salamandastron and either helped liberate it from the hordes of Captain Ripfang who potentially took over, or if they were already defeated, was welcomed with open arms as someone who was in close association with Boar the Fighter. Harebell, Honeydew, Willow, Wother, Trubbs and Ffring would have been alive at this point as well regardless of whether or not the Mountain needed to be taken. I believe that while at Salamandastron, whether by wondering through the corridors as Sunflash the Mace and other badger lords had done or by invitation, he was able to use the magic of the badger lords as depicted in Lord Brocktree (Chapter 2 I think) and saw a vision of Matthias. This is what motivates him to hang up his sword upon his return to Redwall Abbey that is mentioned by Abbot Mortimer to Matthias in Redwall. In that same vision, he would have seen the invasion of Cluny the Scourge and how they almost win. If there weren't any walls prior to this event, it would explain why they were built, if there were, he would reinforce them upon his return, though I believe it was more likely the latter. Martin would have then known exactly where to place the words "I am that is" on the wall and to engrave those same words on his sword. It would also why came to Samkim in his vision of Martin the Warrior when Samkim was tasked to replace the sword on the north weather vane as well as when Martin came to Ruff Brush at the end of The Bell Maker. The sword had to be there order for the vision he saw at Salamandastron to come to pass.