Previous topic - Next topic

Vermin or Woodlanders?

Vermin
Woodlanders
Hmm...

Ashleg

Who did you like reading about more?

Hickory

Brian seemed to have fun writing some of the lesser vermin characters who have a minor part in the actual story, but appear often. (read: Lousewort and Sneezewort). They certainly made fun reading, and at the very least they gave us a break from the usually Sue-ish main characters. All in all.... I still liked the main characters better. I had specifics... but that's a matter for another day.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

It did seem like they were fun to write, didn't it?
They were also fun to read about most of the time.

I think I also should've included birds and reptiles up there, because they make for some interesting scenes too. XD

Hickory

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Ashleg

The Skarzs

Fangfang?

Personally, what I enjoyed most was the interactions between the antagonist and protagonist. As for in general, I did enjoy reading about the vermin quite a bit because it sometimes allowed for some humorous moments, as well as some parts that are very much lifelike.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Fangfang's one of the characters in the IRASATSII roleplays. It's a long story. ;) :P

Yes...
Now that you mention it, the parts with the vermin seem more realistic, don't they?

The Skarzs

Sometimes it can be easier to make enemies more human than the heroes, though that isn't always the case. (For example, large stupid characters- like a lot of vermin -, or a pencil-mustache-stroking villain who does things just because they're evil.)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

It's true, but why do you think that is? Seems like it should be vice-versa since we're supposed to relate more to heroes.

The Skarzs

In regards to very good characters, yes, we should relate more to the protagonists because they are often what we want to become, and their journey through the story helps them along that path to betterment. However, writers are tasked with making these characters very much imperfect, which makes a good story, but can be painful to the writer who thinks about how they are writing about such a flawed person. Subconsciously, writers can sometimes forget to put in traits that make the good guys human because of how much easier it can be to write with them. They win in the end, right? So, they must have some way of being able to be victorious! Well, not really; that's where the whole plot comes into play, and in good writing, the characters much change in some way.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

I would have loved to have a Redwall book that focuses on a single band of vermin, from their formation to their end, whether it be all getting killed off, splitting up after a successful raid, or really anything.

No sue-like characters
No "good" vermin
No sword of Martin to kill them all in one blow

Just the trials and culture of a single band of vermin...

Someone please make a fanfic about this.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Groddil

Sounds really interesting. If I wasn't caught up with the two things I'm writing ATM, I would. I may do it anyway.  ;)

Ashleg

That would make an awesome book!

Blaggut

Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on March 15, 2016, 08:34:53 PM
I would have loved to have a Redwall book that focuses on a single band of vermin, from their formation to their end, whether it be all getting killed off, splitting up after a successful raid, or really anything.

No sue-like characters
No "good" vermin

Challenge Accepted. I'm thinking Scarface in the Redwall world.
~Just a soft space boi~

Groddil

Quote from: Bonaparte on March 28, 2016, 05:35:31 AM
Quote from: Capt. Leonardo V Williams on March 15, 2016, 08:34:53 PM

No sue-like characters
No "good" vermin

Challenge Accepted. I'm thinking Scarface in the Redwall world.

I raise your challenge, Bonaparte! Your writing skills against mine! (I've started my version of this already)