Message limit.

Started by Ally046, November 08, 2021, 04:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ally046

Cobb, Ember, Nutmeg, Pingvin, Diann, Celest, Cinnabon, Coco

Kade Rivok

I wasn't aware that was a thing.  Guess I never came across it before now.  Huh.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Ally046

First world problems.

Just wondering why...

Booklover

Is that a recent thing, or has it always been a thing and only applies for post counting boards? Because I never noticed it back when I did GvsG and CAHAPBAMP a lot (I know there's a five seconds between each post limit from that, so there were definitely times it got quick enough that I'd make that many posts in a relatively short space of time).

I guess the reasoning is that three minutes average per post should be long enough to read other messages and write your own post and if I'm right that it's for post counting boards, then the expectation is that some thought and time goes into those posts. It's rare for there to be that many threads with new posts over the previous day or so, anyway, and casual Cellars-type conversations with short posts don't usually happen in the post counting boards, generally
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Kade Rivok

Nah, this is regarding PM's, not posts.
Words!
Writings of a Mad Man

Songs!
Kade's Vocal Emporium

Gaming!
The Noob Combo

Super Special Medals!

Booklover

Oh. I don't PM much (only Lass, recently, but different timezones mean it's rare for us to have a lot of consecutive messages).

I'm guessing it's to stop bots from spamming people with pms.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Verdauga

I've looked around in the Q&A Thread and found two responses to this question.
Quote from: Matthias720 on May 09, 2014, 01:10:34 PM
The staff wants to avoid having a large influx of messages being sent out all at the same time. If there is something that needs to be told to 30+ people, it might be better to simply make a topic about it instead.
And,
Quote from: James Gryphon on June 27, 2014, 09:03:56 PM
Well, if there were no restrictions, then trolls or spammers could flood people's PM boxes. Besides, it's really intended to be more like e-mail, rather than a chat service or instant messenger.
It hasn't been encountered enough to warrant raising the limit, it appears.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Ally046

Well, just for example, im my case, I'm messaging with multiple people at the same time about a range of topics, and it occasionally all gets caught at once,  and then I just can't respond at all. I think if it was raised a bit, it may prevent the problem though.

Tungro

Would be interesting to see this applied on a universal level.

Ally046

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Ally046 on November 08, 2021, 10:08:31 PM
Well, just for example, im my case, I'm messaging with multiple people at the same time about a range of topics, and it occasionally all gets caught at once,  and then I just can't respond at all. I think if it was raised a bit, it may prevent the problem though.

Oh I feeeeel. I used to run into the limit all the time. It's a bit of a pain in the rear. I know it kinda sucks to wait but we  don't think enough people run into it enough to raise it. I used to let people know in topics we would be chatting in that I hit the limit or change my status, if that's helpful at all.

Ally046

Yeah, I get that it's a difficult issue, because spammers sending 20 is already quite the problamo, but members in multiple conversations, it can get annoying.  So there's not exactly a happy ground... but thanks for the update suggestion.

Dannflower Reguba

The issue has been officially addressed by the current staff team as of today. This topic will now be locked.

https://redwallabbey.com/forum/index.php?topic=12283.new#new
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This