News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The End of Redwall

Started by SandyB, March 01, 2014, 03:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandyB

I was wondering recently, what if Brian Jacques had decided to bring an end to the Redwall series, what would've been the series' conclusion?

I've been thinking maybe Salamandastron was dormant and not extinct? Talk about ending the series with a bang! :P

Or maybe the abbey itself sank into the sink hole it was built on? (read Mossflower)

Or possibly, What if Redwall went the way of Loamhedge? A plague forcing the abbey dwellers out?

What do you guys think?
Problems in life are never resolved by distancing yourself from them. Escape is never the safest plan nor the safest place.

The Skarzs

Good grief, what a dreadful thought!
Well, due to the amounts of vermin armies that tried, and failed, to take Redwall, I doubt it would end that way, so a natural cause would be the only thing to dispense of the creatures. A plague like what happened to Loamhedge would be one way, or a famine that starved them all out.
*Grins evilly.
Though I do like the idea of Salamandastron pulling a Mt. St. Helens (kudos if you get that) and eradicating everyone by burying the entire land in a bath of cleansing fire and choking ash, eventually covering all life to start fresh. O_o
Forgive the poetic way I speak of such, lovely, conceptions.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Captain Tammo

I think he'd end it on a happy note with ample room for the reader to imagine what'd happen after the book ended. No tragedies. I just don't think that that was Mr. Jacques' style. It would have ended like an adventure, just how he always wrote!
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

321tumbler

I agree with you Tammo. Destroying Mossflower so to speak would be pretty intense. Especially since 2nd a 3rd graders read Redwall. If he wrote a book like that when I was eight I would've been devastated.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Skyblade

Quote from: The Skarzs on March 01, 2014, 04:43:51 PM
I'm a terrible person.

No you're not, Scar :o

And I think the Salamandastron erupting idea is interesting.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

The Shade

Hmm, Salamandastron erupting... maybe not enough to effect Redwall. though. But then Redwall would get destroyed, thanks to the famished hares with no home... :P
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

321tumbler

Salamandastron erupting would probably effect at least part of the Mossflower woods.

Blazemane

Quote from: Captain Tammo on March 01, 2014, 05:09:58 AM
I think he'd end it on a happy note with ample room for the reader to imagine what'd happen after the book ended. No tragedies. I just don't think that that was Mr. Jacques' style. It would have ended like an adventure, just how he always wrote!

Agreed. Something like the way Calvin and Hobbes ended:

Brian Jacques liked to write life-affirming stuff, so the thought of absolute finality might have scared him as much as it seems to be scaring a lot of us. If that was the case, then while The Rogue Crew probably wasn't the final story he intended to tell, I think it fits as a final book because it never suggests anything about the lore of Redwall not continuing.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Skyblade on March 01, 2014, 08:14:27 PM
Quote from: The Skarzs on March 01, 2014, 04:43:51 PM
I'm a terrible person.

No you're not, Scar :o

And I think the Salamandastron erupting idea is interesting.
Look at my post! I wanted to see the world burn! :'(
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

321tumbler

Sometimes you just have to let out the pyromaniac inside of you.

Shadowed One

BURN REDWALL BURN BURN BURN! MUAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, I just like laughing maniacally.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Tam and Martin

I was thinking of writing a neat fan fiction like this for example. A really strong villain has a ginormous army and is set to take the world so he takes all of the major powers in the world: Redwall, Salamandastron, Southsward, Brockhall, Guosim etc. All the powers are gone and a few survivers of each of these lands need to team together in a guerrilla tactic fight to take back all their beloved homes.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

MeadowR

Quote from: Captain Tammo on March 01, 2014, 05:09:58 AM

I'd have to agree that I don't think he'd've written a definitive end to the series. There'd just be a last book... like there is. The way I might've liked it to end is with things feeling like they've moved on a bit from the medieval-ish period, so some ways the characters did things were gradually changing and new weapons emerging, etc. A glimpse of that, and then it might have suddenly ended. (Possibly making us want to read more of the series at this later date!)
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

321tumbler