Favorite Weapon in the Series

Started by davers84, August 19, 2013, 05:02:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hickory

Technically the vixen from the ravine in Outcast carried bolas, but my fav is Cregga´s axe pike
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Dannflower Reguba

Quote from: Soren the Warrior on December 06, 2014, 11:15:54 PM
Quote from: danflorreguba on December 05, 2014, 05:18:35 PM
Quote from: Soren the Warrior on November 25, 2014, 03:12:42 AM
Martin's Sword or Taggerung's Dirk.

Deyna used a knife, and then a sword. He never used a dirk in the book. I like how they introduced bola's with Slagar, pity Brian never used them again, such an awesome weapon.
I thought it was a dirk. Huh. Well, I like the one that's on the cover of the book, whatever that weapon is called.

It's Sawney's knife.

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on December 10, 2014, 10:49:20 PM
Technically the vixen from the ravine in Outcast carried bolas, but my fav is Cregga´s axe pike

She had a weapon? It's been awhile since I read Redwall, so maybe I just forgot..... Oh, and that's called a Halberd.  ;)
"Remember, sometimes is best to be like boomerang and come back." ~ Griffen

Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes. ~ Oscar Wilde

Mistakes can make you grow - That doesn't mean you're friends. ~NF - Remember This

Søren

Quote from: danflorreguba on December 15, 2014, 10:21:45 PM
Quote from: Soren the Warrior on December 06, 2014, 11:15:54 PM

Deyna used a knife, and then a sword. He never used a dirk in the book. I like how they introduced bola's with Slagar, pity Brian never used them again, such an awesome weapon.
I thought it was a dirk. Huh. Well, I like the one that's on the cover of the book, whatever that weapon is called.

It's Sawney's knife.
Ohhhhhhhh, now I remeber. Yeah, it was a knife. Sorry.

I'm retired from the forum

Skyblade

I have always liked Zaran's double-bladed sword. It's this that got me interested in weapons with two blades. I honestly don't know how efficient they are, but to me they seem interesting, cool, and nifty.

I also like bows for the long distance ability and lethal nature. The downside is that they might be a bit annoying to carry and what do you if you run out of arrows?

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Hickory

Precisely why a lance  or javelin is better. Double pointed for otters, and also long-range and short-range!

The Skarzs

Quote from: Skyblade on April 01, 2015, 05:58:45 PM
I have always liked Zaran's double-bladed sword. It's this that got me interested in weapons with two blades. I honestly don't know how efficient they are, but to me they seem interesting, cool, and nifty.
Historically, double-bladed swords never existed for real. Skallagrim had made a video explaining why they aren't the best of ideas, and I think I'll post a link to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPXOOKEnvoQ

In short, the weigh twice as much as a regular sword would, lessening its usefulness due to swords requiring the lack of weight. (Most European longswords weighed in at about 2-3.5 pounds, and even the massive bigswords weighed only like 5-9 pounds.) When striking, one would not be able to get a decent cut in with the forward blade without hitting themselves with the same force with the opposite blade.

In order for something like that to work decently, the blades would have to take up rather little of the length, like so: <====]+==========+[====> You would be able to hold the sword near a hilt and be able to hit out without the long blade hitting your body, but the potential for cutting your arms is still there. The long handle would be of better use so it could be used as a quarter staff with pointy ends.

Personally, the historic, tried-and-true weapons, while often simple, are effective and have been used, rather than many fantasy weapons such as a double-bladed sword. Even so, adjustments could be made to make these weapons useful, but going with originals doesn't always hurt. ;)
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Machiavellian

Slagar's Bolas, Martin's Sword and Verminfate are by far my favorite legendary weapons that appear in the Series- They strike me the most with their description, their deadly power, their many, many victims.

I would absolutely despise fighting anyone with either three, because I doubt I would have a single chance.
It's pronounced "Matchavalleeyun".
Nah, just kiddin'.
It's "Macki-velian".

Wylder Treejumper

Not quite right there, Tammo uses a dirk.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on April 16, 2015, 10:23:56 PM

Not quite right there, Tammo uses a dirk.

Tammo did use a dirk, but Deyna didn't or so I should believe.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

JangoCoolguy

Meldrum's killer fishing rod from "The Bellmaker"

That's almost kung fu movie stuff there!  :D  

Also liked Slagar's bola, Vilaya little poisoned knife, Buck's hybrid rapier, Razzid's trident,  and Mariel's gullwhacker.

Ya gotta like how Jacques usually gave main characters weapons distinctive to them.
Makes me wish he'd learned of martial arts weapons at some point...

Hickory

He did live in England, martial arts aren't really a big part of the culture there. The closeset he got to it was the boxing hares (karate, kung fu) and Mariel's gullwhacker (nunchuks).

Jetthebinturong

Karate and Kung-Fu are completely different to boxing just as nunchucks (or, to give them their proper name, nunchaku) are completely different to rope fighting
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Hickory

I'm just saying that is a close to martial arts te Brian could get, while staying within his country's fighting style.

Jetthebinturong

Well boxing is a martial art and nunchaku are weapons, they aren't for sport
"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

Blaggut

That dirk. Just throw it through some villainous vermin's throat, as he had no vermin valor...
~Just a soft space boi~