News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Netflix has the Redwall rights

Started by LordTBT, February 10, 2021, 03:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazelsqueak

JangoCoolguy

Though one has to wonder just HOW many books will be adapted...🤔
Because, unfortunately, they won't be able to get ALL of them. 😢

Shoot, knowing Netflix, they may just cancel it after the one season...👀
(let's just hope it's Mossflower since it didn't get a cartoon, but SHOULD have)

Tungro

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 16, 2021, 05:43:19 AM
Because, unfortunately, they won't be able to get ALL of them. 😢
I mean i'm sure they'd do most of them if it's a show, assuming they'll do the traditional three episodes per book

Quote from: LordTBT on February 12, 2021, 07:41:12 PM
Netflix has said recently they want to compete with Disney. I bet the rights to a 22-book saga weren't cheap. And given the expanse of the fantasy world, as well as the incredibly positive response to the news, they're probably not going to nickel-and-dime the production.

LordTBT

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 16, 2021, 05:43:19 AM
(let's just hope it's Mossflower since it didn't get a cartoon, but SHOULD have)

I'm hopeful that "the life of Martin the Warrior" is inclusive of Martin the Warrior and Mossflower framework. It just makes sense.

Tungro

abbey account

this right here, this is a childhood dream being fulfilled
I have a vague memory of watching the animated series but I don't recall them being very high quality.  I think CG could look very good for redwall

The Skarzs

Netflix has said recently they want to compete with Disney. I bet the rights to a 22-book saga weren't cheap. And given the expanse of the fantasy world, as well as the incredibly positive response to the news, they're probably not going to nickel-and-dime the production.

I'm also hopeful the voice cast consists of some big names.
Tim Curry big? ;D
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Mara the Wolf

The original series had Tim Curry, as Slagar (ignoring the novel stating Slagar had a hoarse, rasping voice, as if he had a throat injury). Honestly, in terms of voice acting, I hope they get voices that sound like the ones BJ did for the audiobooks.
Fursonas:
Riley: Mountain lion, Sonic the Hedgehog
Amara: African wild dog, The Lion King/The Lion Guard
Masika: Eurasian river otter, Redwall
Mara: Wolf, general

LordTBT

Quote from: The Skarzs on February 17, 2021, 01:12:51 AM

Tim Curry big? ;D

That would be great. But I'm under the impression Mr. Curry isn't working too much anymore. He had a stroke in 2012 that left him paralyzed and affected his speaking, and this seems unknown by a lot of people.

Matthias720

Quote from: LordTBT on February 17, 2021, 07:13:25 PM
Quote from: The Skarzs on February 17, 2021, 01:12:51 AM

Tim Curry big? ;D

That would be great. But I'm under the impression Mr. Curry isn't working too much anymore. He had a stroke in 2012 that left him paralyzed and affected his speaking, and this seems unknown by a lot of people.
If they could get him for even one or two lines as a cameo, I think that would be great.

a crumb

give me a john cleese basil stag hare and i will be the happiest fragment of bread the world has ever seen

JangoCoolguy

Quote from: Tungro on February 16, 2021, 03:31:52 PM

I mean i'm sure they'd do most of them if it's a show, assuming they'll do the traditional three episodes per book

3 episodes is far too short to adapt most tales. Heck, the old show took 13 episodes a book,and STILL left some stuff out. (Though that wasn't a good idea for Redwall.)

Though that's another thing one has to wonder about: how many episodes should they do per book? 13 a book like the old show? Or however many it takes to tell the story. The later, longer books would certainly need more than a episodes... :-\

LordTBT

Quote from: JangoCoolguy on February 18, 2021, 02:52:41 AM
Quote from: Tungro on February 16, 2021, 03:31:52 PM

3 episodes is far too short to adapt most tales. Heck, the old show took 13 episodes a book,and STILL left some stuff out. (Though that wasn't a good idea for Redwall.)

Though that's another thing one has to wonder about: how many episodes should they do per book? 13 a book like the old show? Or however many it takes to tell the story. The later, longer books would certainly need more than a episodes... :-\

In recent years, "event series" has come to mean 8-10 episodes a season. However, sometimes it can also mean just 1 season, period. 8-10 episodes could be appropriate for 1 book.

Tungro

I think 3 40min episodes could cover it. A lot of the writing is descriptions and characters, it can be condensed down a lot. The old show I felt went kinda slow. They could always go the British TV route too, 5 1hr+ epsidoes per 'series' which could be one or two books

Matthias720

Quote from: Tungro on February 18, 2021, 05:50:59 PM
A lot of the writing is descriptions and characters, it can be condensed down a lot.
I agree, but only if a lot of that description is compensated for with visual details. I want to see enough beautiful food to make Studio Ghibli jealous.