Did anyone else like the books Salamandastron and Pearls of Lutra?

Started by belle, September 13, 2016, 05:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Booklover

I didn't like Salamandastron much either. Not sure entirely why, maybe to do with reading it a lot later, or its just that it was really unmemorable. I read it for the first time a few years ago and remembered nothing, for a second time a week ago and it's one of my least favourite Redwall books.

Pearls of Lutra was pretty good, though.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Flib Bigboat

I can't remember what happened to Abbot Durral though. Didn't the monitor lizards eat him?
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

I love those ones. Pearls of Lutra has probably the best quest for something hidden in the whole series. I like that characters like the owl and Martin II and the main hedgehog girl. The coolest part is probably the villain plotline though, I love Romsca and Lask Frildur, Barranca and Ublaz Mad Eyes. My favorite was Razconsa. I loved his mind gmes with Ublaz. I also loved the setting and just the pace of the book. I also liked Salamandastron. I think the villain, Ferahgo the Assassin as good, and his side villains were enjoyable. The siege was entertaining and the hares are great. The redwallers were alright and that storyline was meh. But other than that, I liked it. Wouldn't rank either of them TOO high up, but Pearls of Lutra is close.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Hazelsqueak

Pearls of Lutra was my favorite of the Redwall books as a kid. I am rereading it now to see if I still feel the same way about it. Currently Mossflower is my favorite.

Tungro

Pearls of Lutra and Mariel of Redwall were my top two for the longest time, can't pin exactly why, especially as the ending for PoL severely irked me. But just something about reading them was so satisfying.

Sailears

Pearls of Lutra is amazing - variety of action, best riddles, and favourite dibbun (Arven). And a beautiful ending. If I had to say anything negative it's probably that I don't care much for Grath as a protagonist.

Salamandastron on the other hand, sadly aside from Ferahgo it doesn't have much lasting impact personally. Weirdly despite the name, it's my least favourite of all the books focusing heavily on Salamandastron/hares/badgers.
My ears, how are you, wot!

Flib Bigboat

I felt like Salamandastron was kinda... rushed. It wasn't as good as the other books, and it didn't really have anything special about it.
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

clunylooney

Quote from: Flib Bigboat on May 20, 2021, 12:22:12 PM
I felt like Salamandastron was kinda... rushed. It wasn't as good as the other books, and it didn't really have anything special about it.

What are you talking about? There was that new Guosim that was definitely something different and not just a copy with a new name.

I all seriousness, I like the villains and the siege is entertaining. I also enjoy the feeling of the older books. Even though I do love the newer books, High Rhulain especially, I like the old kind of humbleness of the first few books which i think ended really with Martin the Warrior. But then then next 8 books were great, like the worst two in their are probably Legend of Luke because of the books 1 and 3, and pearls of Lutra, and I still adore those books. Then it finally made it to what i call the New Redwall books, which had ups and downs.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me

Dante8002

Yalahoo!

Flib Bigboat

Not the best compared to what?

Edit: Darn, I went and messed up my post count!
Long live the RRR!