News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What makes a good hero?

Started by The Lady Shael, July 21, 2011, 08:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lady Shael

We all love the heroes and heroines from the Redwall series, Martin, Matthias, Mariel...but what is it that makes them likable? It's important that they have the right balance of having potential and also being disadvantaged. They shouldn't be too disadvantaged, since it might be discouraging to the readers or their victories wouldn't seem realistic. But they also shouldn't be too perfect (ie, Mary Sue characters)...that's also not realistic.

And of course, a hero character isn't necessarily the main character or a leader.

What qualities should a hero definitely have?
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

Captain Tammo

A hero can be as simple as a role model. In my mind, a redwall hero is someone who goes against all odds despite their fear. They have to be fierce, yet kind at the same time. In the beginning of the bell maker, Mariel and Dandin explain to Bowly Pintips what a warrior is like
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Lutra

A hero is someone genuinely likeable for who and what they are, faults and all.  Doing a heroic act is simply looking towards the positive benefit of the action, regardless of the danger it usually would put the person in.  I would say most heroes are honest, willing to accept criticism, humble, and somewhat courageous, or not afraid to try something.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Adding to the comment about fear, a hero does feel fear but doesnae let it control them.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Redwall heroes are characters not afraid to stand up and fight for the good they can identify. They are looked up to. They are not the enemies of their foes sometimes, but they make those vermin their enemies. Not because they are mad and driven for power and killing, but because they desire, with the heart of a warrior within them, to end the tyranny they are faced with.

Well, that's my two cents I guess.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Lily

I agree with the above points. A hero is kind and likeable - they put others before themselves. They don't necessarily have to be a warrior - just someone who shows courage and is someone who others can look up to.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I'd say its been said in this topic, what the author said in the past.
Brian Jacques on Warriors:

"A warrior is not a bully but someone who would help you against the bully, who would stand up for somebody weaker than themselves."

"My values are not based on violence. My values are based on courage, which you see time and time again in my books...A warrior can be any age. A warrior is a person people look up to."

"The point of 'Redwall' is to be a warrior. A warrior isn't Arnold Schwarzenegger, or some idiot with black belts who can kill you with a belch from 40 yards off."
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Captain Tammo

"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Nightfire

Loyalty, Honor, kindness, gentleness, integrity, truthfulness, and courage.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Log-a-Log

A warrior has protect other, more defenseless creatures from the enemy and his/her own life should never come first.
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Matthias720

A warrior should be a kind of figurehead. They're the one that stands in front of whoever they defend, and speak with whomever is attacking them. They stand up for the defenseless, they parley with the bad guys, and if that doesn't work, they're the last one to retreat, making sure everyone gets to safety.

martins#1fan

A warrior, or hero, should be a leader. They should be strong, not to outspoken or foolish.
A hero can be a role model, they can be personal heros, my hero is my dad, a warrior can be a hero like that too. A hero should be kind, loving, and caring. But they should also be strong and wise. But above ALL,
a hero should NEVER surrender to evil, never give in, never fall in defeat. I'm not saying heros won't lose battles, I'm saying, a hero should go down taking evil with him. A hero is one who should protect the weak, give to the poor, vow to destroy evil and most importantly, NEVER kill without a cause, whether the beast he has beaten, is good or evil.  A hero is good and kind, and good n' kind people do all these things diligently and willingly. Making them heros.
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

Skipper

a hero should be confident  but not over confident *one of the reasons i dont like matthias, i think mattimeo would have been better* they should take responsibility and show no fear, they should be bold and get straight to the point,they are kind to friends but aggressive to enemys, friends/allys should respect them and enemys fear them like in the taggerung where the tribe with the fox as the leader when they are faced by lord russano and his hares

Didi547

A good hero is kind, courageous, and is always ready to fight, help etc. ;D

Muse

A warrior is someone to whom good deeds are not a past-time, or a task, but a direct display of their impromptu spirit: that good works come from them constantly and without effort or thought: they are a sieve, not a dam.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse