Woodlanders that we wish had lived (SPOILER ALERT)

Started by Ashleg, July 08, 2015, 04:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shisteer of nothing much

Much as I'm sad for Martin and the fact that Rose is dead, I think it was necessary.

Martin cared deeply for Rose, so he wouldn't be tramping around Mossflower in the middle of winter if she was there, especially because Rose cares for him equally and wouldn't let him. If those facts were ignored, they'd both be captured but the vermin would have a very valuable bargaining chip to win Martin's cooperation. Tsarmina was somewhat naive at the time Martin was brought to Kotir but Lord Verdauga would have seen the opportunity and pounced, metaphorically.

During their stay at Kotir, Martin would have found a way to get most of his food to Rose, knowing that she'd be on the same hard rations as him. He'd also be a lot less willing to wait it out in the dungeons, especially if him and Rose were in separate cells. Consequently, once they escaped, Martin would be in worse condition, by quite a considerable bit, and he wouldn't have much energy to run on. When the Corim did decide to rescue them, it would have been significantly harder with three.

Rose would not have condoned Martin's style of defeating Tsarmina either and the wildcat queen probably would have escaped scott free to wreck havoc elsewhere.

One of the things that made Martin such a great warrior was his reckless hate for evil. The fact that he'd stop at nothing to destroy it, even if it might cost him dearly. Rose was more sensible and had a firm hold of Martin's heart and emotions. If she was around, he would have been a lot more risk averse, which could have its benefits but it would also have its drawbacks. Martin wouldn't be able to give his heart into a mission because it was already in the grasp of a very pretty mousemaid that he loved. Much of his passionate hate for evil and tyranny was borne from the grief following the death of the beautiful mouse. The war raging in his heart gave him strength to fight the ones who'd caused grief to so many other beasts and allowed him to sympathize with those who'd lost loved ones, and allowed other beasts to sympathize with him. Rose's death could have been prevented and the story could still work but it would remove some of the depth of Martin's character. I think Brian Jacques knew what he was doing when he let Rose die.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

Most importantly, Mossflower was written before Martin the Warrior.
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

The Skarzs

Very nice post, Teer.
It's been a while since I've read the books, so my memory is a bit hazy on all the deaths.
In some cases I kind of wish more woodlanders did die, at least, ones we knew the names of. I like that tragedy because it's real.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

shisteer of nothing much

Thanks.
Another death which is really sad is Queen Warbeak. (why is it always the cool birds?)
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

The Skarzs

Mattimeo had a lot of sad deaths.
Spoiler
Log-a-log, Warbeak, Friar Hugo. . . All of those were sad, especially since we got to know all of them in the book Redwall.
[close]
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Corporal Rubbadub

Swiffo and Kite the Slayer from the Rogue Crew, both otters.

Sebias of Redwall

"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Corporal Rubbadub

do you mean Bragoon and Saro, otter and squirrel, the two who fought the vermin on the log bridge?