Citrus

Started by Captain Wortshire, March 04, 2021, 05:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Wortshire

Recently, while reading through my Redwall collection in the house, there was something I noticed...

The world of Redwall does not have any Citrus Fruits (lemons/limes/oranges/etc)

This makes sense since citrus trees are not native to the British Isles, originating from Southeast Asian and Middle Eastern countries, before they were introduced through the Mediterranean.

The only instance where I remember citrus being used was in the Redwall Animated Series, where it was used for the Grayling a la Redwall.

(Or maybe I just missed them in the books...)

Any thoughts on this?
[move][/move]
"It's so sad. Nobody understands you. But the truth is you're the one who finds everyone & everything to be a pain in the butt."
"The moon tide is tugging on our hearts right now."
"Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul"
"We're making the mother of all omelettes here. Can't fret over every egg"
Spoiler
[close]

Tungro

Quite an interesting observation, can't really think of any input myself though

The Skarzs

That is an astute observation. I went back to take a look at that episode to see, and sure enough, there are lemon slices on the grayling. (There are also tomatoes, and those weren't included in the book either if I'm correct.)
If we're honest, there was a lot that went on in the animated series that was the animators' interpretations, as well as taking their own artistic liberties with it. But that's where Brian's books shine, the ability to envision things that aren't stated in the books, using our own imaginations.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

saugysaugysaugy

Wow, that's absolutely one of those facts that sound unbelievable, but are totally true! I wish I could comb through the entire series because it seems so unbelievable, but I will take your word for it.

By the classical and late antiquity, citrus had made it's way through Persia and the Levant, into the western Mediterranean where it has now become a major cultivated fruit of the region, and from there made it's way throughout the rest of Europe. Starting in the Late Medieval periods, recipes of Arabic origin that utilized citrus became much more prominent in continental Europe. So I thought for sure that in The Bellmaker there would have been citrus orchards found in Southsward, or on Sampetra, or in the regions surrounding Loamhedge... but perhaps not!

What's funny is that, while an Old World fruit like citrus is absent, New World crops are abundant in the series. There's not a single book that doesn't contain potatoes as a staple in some recipe or feast, and (at least in the first three books, which definitely have their discrepancy) tomatoes and tobacco are present as well.

clunylooney

I don't think any citrus fruits come from England and MOST of Redwall is based from England so maybe that's why.
"ABSOFLIPPINLUTELY" - Me