Honorable Mention's

Started by Stonestripe, April 20, 2015, 10:03:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stonestripe

I have found in rereading the books that there are a lot of references to other books and characters. I started thinking about some of the characters in the books that are only mentioned but are not necessarily in any of the books. I can't find it now to reference but one example in my screen name. Stonestripe was referenced as a badger lord of bygone ages but he never appears anywhere.

What are some others that you all might know of? Names without a backstory?
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords"

Hickory

*ahem*

I believe you have Stonestrip mixed with Bluestripe the Wild and Stonepaw the Mighty. Gonna point that out.

Aso, Spearlady Gorse, Centeruler the Wise, and one more I can't think of at the moment.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Banya

I am interested in King Mortspear, the father of Ungatt Trunn and Verdauga Greeneyes, and his rule in the northern mountains.  He is mentioned nowhere but in Lord Brocktree, and Ungatt Trunn's contempt of him suggests that he was a ruler but not a conqueror, as Trunn wanted to make a name for himself. 

Continuing on Stone's and Sage's theme:  One thing from the books that's always fascinated me is the Badger Lords' hidden chamber, set up as a tomb for Lord Brocktree, Urthrun the Gripper, Spearlady Gorse, Bluestripe the Wild, and Ceteruler the Just.  In the walls of the hidden chamber are etched images of warriors and events of the past, present, and future.  The books (Mossflower in particular stands out) describes Martin or any Badger Lord viewing the drawings on the wall, yet the images are never described.  I've always wanted to know what some of the images depicted.  This might also tell the stories of the pre-Long Patrol rulers mentioned above whose stories I would love to read.

Stonestripe

Quote from: Sagetip, the hare on April 20, 2015, 10:08:37 PM
*ahem*

I believe you have Stonestrip mixed with Bluestripe the Wild and Stonepaw the Mighty. Gonna point that out.

Aso, Spearlady Gorse, Centeruler the Wise, and one more I can't think of at the moment.

Maybe I have used the name for a gamertag so I might have got that mixed up but I could have swore that in one of the books it references a stonestripe.
"Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

Hickory

Quote from: Banya on April 20, 2015, 11:15:51 PM
I am interested in King Mortspear, the father of Ungatt Trunn and Verdauga Greeneyes, and his rule in the northern mountains.  He is mentioned nowhere but in Lord Brocktree, and Ungatt Trunn's contempt of him suggests that he was a ruler but not a conqueror, as Trunn wanted to make a name for himself. 

Continuing on Stone's and Sage's theme:  One thing from the books that's always fascinated me is the Badger Lords' hidden chamber, set up as a tomb for Lord Brocktree, Urthrun the Gripper, Spearlady Gorse, Bluestripe the Wild, and Ceteruler the Just.  In the walls of the hidden chamber are etched images of warriors and events of the past, present, and future.  The books (Mossflower in particular stands out) describes Martin or any Badger Lord viewing the drawings on the wall, yet the images are never described.  I've always wanted to know what some of the images depicted.  This might also tell the stories of the pre-Long Patrol rulers mentioned above whose stories I would love to read.

I belive it was also Urthstripe's grave as well.

Stonestripe

I think Stonepaw was the only one that isn't actually burried there cause he jumped into the pool of water in the caves below drowning himself and the vermin he took with him.

Captain Tammo

What about King Kharanjul from Loamhedge? He doesn't play much of a role other than to just cause a fight. While I personally loved Loamhedge, I've always wondered if there was more to Kharanjul than was said...
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Stonestripe

I like that BJ left open ends in the stories. It leaves room for the imagination. Most of the famous badger lords had tragic beginings like Russano. Nothing is told about the badger that died protecting him nor does it tell about urthwyte's parents either. Maybe we all can come up with plausable backgrounds based on what we do know.

Banya

Quote from: Stonestripe on April 21, 2015, 09:37:01 PM
I think Stonepaw was the only one that isn't actually burried there cause he jumped into the pool of water in the caves below drowning himself and the vermin he took with him.

Though Stonepaw died in the pool in Salamandastron's cellars, I believe Lord Brocktree built a shrine for him in the cavern; I think it's mentioned at the end of Lord Brocktree.  I don't know about later Badger Lords; I'd like to believe that the tradition was kept, but the cavern seems lost to time in the later books.

Quote from: Stonestripe on April 25, 2015, 02:05:39 AM
I like that BJ left open ends in the stories. It leaves room for the imagination.

And, therefore, room for fanfiction.

Quote from: Stonestripe on April 25, 2015, 02:05:39 AM
Most of the famous badger lords had tragic beginings like Russano. Nothing is told about the badger that died protecting him nor does it tell about urthwyte's parents either. Maybe we all can come up with plausable backgrounds based on what we do know.

I'm also rereading the books in chronological order currently.  I just read Lord Brocktree again, so that's fresh in my mind, and with school and other readings I imagine it'll take another two or three years (at least) to get through the series.  As I go, though, I'll get more involved in discussions regarding characters and events I've forgotten over the years.

Hickory

Urthwyte's parents were murdered by Ferahgo.