News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Camp NaNoWriMo for Redwall Fan Fiction Writers

Started by Blazemane, June 18, 2013, 07:04:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blazemane

Hello, everybody,

Every November, a site called NaNoWriMo.org hosts a writing challenge for anybody who wishes to participate, in which an author attempts to writes 50,000 words of fiction in one month. The... basic idea is to write one "original" novel, but the site allows all sorts of deviations--including the writing of fan fiction, and the writing 50,000 words in multiple works instead of one.

I tried two years ago to work on a Beast Wars novel, and I only ended up getting all of about 12,000 words (less than 12,000, actually) instead of 50,000 by the end of the month. But it was still one of the most interesting experiences in writing I've ever had, for one thing because 12,000 in a month is fast for me :P, and for another, because I was a part of a bigger community of authors working towards a common goal. Something about writing with others going alongside of me made the whole thing seem like a lot more fun.

NaNoWriMo also hosts an event called "Camp NaNoWriMo," which is in many ways the same thing as what happens in November. In April, and in July, people get together to write 50,000 words in a month. But there is a significant difference. During November, everything is very much regionalized by a person's geographical location. People in the same counties, near the same cities and so on get their own regional forums, have their own local leaders, and arrange to actually meet and write with one another at libraries or college campuses.

With Camp NaNoWriMo--though I speak without ever having tried it--people get assigned to virtual cabins with a maximum of 7 other writers. I believe these authors can be from all around the world and that they are allowed to request the specific authors they wish to be placed in those "cabins" with (although the site does warn that an authors' assignment to a cabin with the other specific authors they request can not be guaranteed, I'm going on the hope that, so long as those authors all request to be placed with one another, the website can't muck things up too badly).

Well, July is next month. And we've still got 13 days to plan things. So I was curious, is anybody else here interested in trying Camp NaNoWriMo for writing Redwall fan fiction or whatever else they might be in the mood for? If this sounds like fun, then the next step would be to sign up and create a username for yourself: http://www.campnanowrimo.org/sign_up
(If you've already signed up for NaNoWriMo before, then you can use the account you've already got).

Once we've put our usernames down in this thread, then we can all head over to the Cabin settings page and ask to be placed in the same cabin: http://www.campnanowrimo.org/cabin_assignment_criteria/edit
(Note: I'm guessing this link isn't going to work until you're signed in)

Looking forward to another 12,000 words with you all,
Blazemane

Romsca

Do we write our own stories or stories with a collaborative effort with the other people in our cabin

EDIT: *1600th post*

Blazemane

We write out own stories. We just... write our own stories together.

Though what you mention is something that's been on my mind for a while. There's nothing really to stop us from making a collaborative story...

EDIT: And then Blazemane realized the implication of his words.
There's nothing really to stop us from making a collaborative story, and I have been wondering how something like that could be done, but then, I am also interested in working on the story that I had in mind for writing myself this summer. What do other people want to do?

Romsca

So do we have to have at least 50,000 words, no more than 50,000 words, or EXACTLY 50,000 words?

Blazemane

There is no requirement for anything either way, really. The goal is to reach 50,000 words. And if you get there before the end of the month and then want to keep going, all the better! Lots of NaNoWriMo participants keep updating the public display of their word count well after they reach 50,000 words for the fun of it. I think the idea for a lot of people is to get a ton of work done in a novel, so if that work exceeds 50,000 words, then they really are getting a ton of work done.

But for someone like me who has very little hope of making 50,000 words, it can still absolutely be worth it to have just tried, because we can still end up getting more writing in than normal.

Am I answering your question?

Romsca

Blazemane

Was there anyone who was interested in doing this? I figure I probably want to get into some sort of cabin for Camp NaNoWriMo, so if July 1 rolls around/goes by and nobody else has said they want to do a "Redwall" cabin, I'll go ahead and sign up for something else.

Romsca

Sorry. I was really interested at first, but I just don't have time to write almost 2,000 words a day :-\

Blazemane

Quote from: Romsca on June 26, 2013, 07:37:17 PM
Sorry. I was really interested at first, but I just don't have time to write almost 2,000 words a day :-\

No, there's nothing to be sorry for--really.  :)

Shadowed One

I joined up! If you want me in your cabin, my username is Shadowed One.
Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

"I'm languishing in heroic obscurity!"-Doc

Blazemane

Awesome! Have you already completed your cabin preferences? If we were to put that in right now, I'm wondering whether or not the system would assign us to a full cabin within a day or so--in which case it might (?) be hard to include anyone else from here who says they want to join later on. Do you know how the cabin assignments work?

Shadowed One

Martin the Warrior is way more epic than Mickey Mouse. Anyone who says otherwise is insane, or just wrong.

Blazemane

My username is Blazemane.

If you've put your preferences in, I'm going to go ahead and get mine in so we don't get sent to different places.

UPDATE: The next round of cabin assignments is in 11 hours!

Blazemane

Double Post for sake of update.

Okieday, then. I just got assigned to a cabin this morning, but I'm not seeing you in it. So you're probably not seeing me in yours either?

Shadowed One

Yeah, I didn't notice your post in time. Sorry!