News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Dogs/hounds

Started by BadgerLordFiredrake, July 19, 2013, 02:47:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cinderpelt

Same. If there were humans, it would already mess up the already wonky and undefined scale rules. They would be as small as a mouse, or step over Redwall Abbey!
~CL~

Ashleg

And all the trees. Redwall can't be tiny because characters are around human sized when compared to trees.

SoranMBane

There are almost certainly no humans in the Redwall world, but I don't think that necessarily precludes there being domestic animals like house cats and dogs. We can just look at the example of Julian Gingivere, who was a house cat descended from a wildcat that settled down to become a farmer. The implication there is that the Gingivere family had "domesticated" themselves over generations of peaceful living. We also have the feral cats from High Rhulain, who were apparently enslaved by some stronger force before Riggu Felis came and took over.

So, if there are dogs in the Redwall world, then they'd probably come about in a similar way; by either being the descendants of wolves that gave up their wild and barbaric ways, or else wolves that were enslaved long ago by someone else.

Cinderpelt

True, but what dog breeds would come of it and where would those breeds be?
~CL~

The Skarzs

My guess, almost all strains of wolves or dingos or other wild dogs. Huskies and German shepherds (as far as my limited knowledge) are relatively close to wolves, but that would likely be as diverse as they would get.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

SoranMBane

The diversity would depend on the writer's imagination, I'd think. I can imagine at least a few different scenarios that I think would fit the setting. Like one wolf tribe conquering another and enslaving them, eventually turning their enslaved brethren into servile sheepdogs over generations. A kingdom of former wolves that have become so privileged and removed from their family's warrior past that they're now nothing more than foppish lap dogs. A village of huskies trying their best to live honestly in the lands of ice and snow, even while beset on all sides by their wilder cousins. The possibilities could be nearly limitless.

Ashleg

Always just thought it was a term for canine that they used.

Keep in mind that their world is different than ours, and even if dogs exist, they do not need to have come from humans or any kind of "domestication", although with Julian, which I do not consider canon, it was implied. Dogs could, reasonably, just have come about on their own.

Although I support the idea of no dogs being in Redwall.

The Skarzs

It does make it easier.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg