News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Kindle/Nook

Started by Bragoon, January 20, 2012, 01:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bragoon

Who here has a Kindle or a Nook? 
Do you like it as opposed to paper books?  How does the cost balance out?

One of my brothers has a Kindle and he loves it.  He doesn't have very many books right now, though, because he still needs to pay for the books. 

I've thought about buying one, but to be frank, I like paper books, they just feel more solid (literally and figuratively).  Also, it doesn't seem to be much less expensive than a paper book, since you still have to pay for the books after you've bought the tool itself. 
"For the whole Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable to to teach, to convince, to correct, and to instruct in righteousness." - II Timothy 3:16

Lutra

I think there was a topic like this somewhere in the General Redwall section because someone had mentioned e-books of the Redwall series.

My argument in that thread is the cost isn't work it.  In the end you're paying more for less--you don't physically own the book.  Should the kindle break, I don't believe you can re-download your books for free.  The Redwall books when I last checked were going for $7 or more, while you can get most of them used, paperback for a penny, plus $3.99 shipping.  Savings of $3 a book multiplied by at least fifteen books is $45.00 saved and you have a copy of the book that will always exist, barring any natural disasters or bad luck. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

If some cases, you can re-download-up to five times. Also, the book may be redacted for some reason, and cease to be yours.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Melody

my mom has a kindle but she won't let me borrow it (I might not return it for a while) ;D.

Skipper

My dad has a kindle, i pesonally prefer books, though it does have its advantages, its light and dosn't take up much space

Icefire

My mom has a Kindle, but I don't like using it. It's nice that you can a ton of books on it, but some parts are a pain. To turn the pages, you tap the side of the screen. However, the margins are so small I end up highlighting a word instead. When you highlight a word, it gives you the definition of the word. My annoyance is that when I try turning the page I define a word (And I do NOT need the definition of "the") and when I try defining a word the page turns instead! >:(
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Matthias720

I have a NOOKColor, and I love it! The interface is good, it has a nice selection of apps, and a decent web browser. :)

Melody

I still like the old book. ;)

Lily

Here's the other topic on ebook readers if you're interested. My feelings on the subject can be found here. In short, I love my Kindle, but that's because English books aren't readily available to me. It's always been a dream of mine to have a library in my house, so when I eventually return home I will continue to buy books. I love books.