News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on a new Redwall Movie?

Started by Spring Breeze, June 13, 2011, 06:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanielofRedwall

Well, even if they do make a movie, reading the books will always smash watching the movie.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lutra

To Tagg:

I honestly don't remember the order in which I read Redwall, except Redwall was first.  The reason I'm saying Mossflower would probably be less appropriate for a big movie adaptation is because of the way the story is written.  Redwall is ideal to start with because Mr. Jacques had written it as such that it can stand on its own without having to the know the who or why of other characters or plot details.  They didn't exist.  When you get to other Redwall stories, there's more connections the book readers will know about that probably will be cut out of a movie to make it flow. 

I feel you can do the Redwall story or even Martin the Warrior.  I'm guessing here.  I'm going by what I"ve seen the TV series did with the books, and they didn't do a half bad job of adapting the books they did, hence that's why I feel they could be reasonably done in a full length show if someone were to make one.  Yeah its probably every fans dream to see a different story adapted because we already have video media adaptations of Martin, Redwall, and Mattimeo, but you have to look at it from the film creators POV.  They probably could do a better job marketing the book that started it all rather than a tale of the one that started it all.  Consider this as well: you won't find many fans that don't enjoy the first book, but you'll always find the fans that couldn't stand this one or that one for whatever reason. ;)
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I never disagreed with any of your points. I was merely asking you to elaborate on what you meant on Mossflower making a terrible movie.

Thing is, when reading it as second, as it was written, it made sense for itself. Obviously you don't know about Martin's past, or certain connections, but you didn't when you read the book, in the fact that Brian made it in. I'm going from the position that this whole thing was the case at the time Mossflower was penned.
Note: I don't practically understand what I just wrote, so, yeah, I doubt it'll make much sense.

On a completely different note, there's always this (the present Redwall film adaption news we as Redwall fans have, the first for this year: A new Redwall movie project in the works?, thanks to LordTBT.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Me two main problemz with a Redwall movie are tha' they'd probably mezz it up, an' they'd probably market it.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Lutra

QuoteOn a completely different note, there's always this (the present Redwall film adaption news we as Redwall fans have, the first for this year: A new Redwall movie project in the works?, thanks to LordTBT.

I think this was proven false, as it seems any time this pops up, they can't get the funding to make it work.

QuoteMe two main problemz with a Redwall movie are tha' they'd probably mezz it up, an' they'd probably market it.

Highly depends on who's making the film.  Let's examine--Disney would probably mess it up if they ever got ahold of the rights.  I don't know if Nelvana has the rights to a film, but they have the previous productions to look back on, so they might not do a half bad job, relatively speaking given its a pretty conservative animation company.  Animal Logic could probably make a really good CGI-version if they don't mess up the plot somehow (story wasn't the strong point in Happy Feet or Legend of the Guardians).  Dreamworks shouldn't touch it because we don't need a Shrek-ified Redwall.  Blue Sky should keep their hands off too.  I'd be most worried about one of the edgier studios getting the rights.  An independent is less likely to make it fit within a formula their company is known for.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Quote from: Lutra on July 29, 2011, 03:26:53 PM
it seems any time this pops up, they can't get the funding to make it work.
If it gets even that far along in the process, of course.

Skalrag of Marshank

Yeah. I would NOT watch a Redwall movie done by Dreamworks. They would totally screw it up.
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Skalrag of Marshank on July 29, 2011, 11:14:40 PM
Yeah. I would NOT watch a Redwall movie done by Dreamworks. They would totally screw it up.
Definitely. And on top of that, they'd ruin it with 5 sequels that are worse than the one before, like with Shrek
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Which to some undoubtedly, the idea of raiding the production studios would seem to be the best course of action in such a fix.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Quote from: Taggerung_of_Redwall on July 29, 2011, 11:52:22 PM
Which to some undoubtedly, the idea of raiding the production studios would seem to be the best course of action in such a fix.

Aye, let'z go dae it na!  >:D

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Skalrag of Marshank

Stop with the lizardspeak. It's ANNOYING. >:(
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

James Gryphon

Try switching to molespeak, eh?

My ideal for a Redwall movie would be to keep the existing vocals from the audio stories, then make something like an animated illustration -- akin to Mr. Gary Chalk's chapter illustrations, only to cover the entire scene, and merge the two.

This would take many hours of work, and much money, but I think it'd have a great stylistic feel to it... not a chance it would ever pay itself off, though, so it'd have to be a labor of love on the part of the studio, and that's not going to happen.
« Subject to editing »

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ratz. I wanted tae uze a blowtorch fer...zomethin'......

Nightfire

Galaxy, now your speaking a combination of lizardspeak and highlander. It's really diffucult to understand you! Either speak like a highlander, or speak like a lizard. YOU CAN'T DO BOTH!!!

And I think a Redwall movie would be great, as long as they don't cut it down or try to change it. Seeing Asmodeus in realistic animation like LotG would be awesome.
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Taggerung_of_Redwall

I understand him perfectly myself...

And Asmodeus needs to be portrayed as actually SCARY or at least VICIOUS, unlike the tv series.