News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

What are your thoughts on a new Redwall Movie?

Started by Spring Breeze, June 13, 2011, 06:30:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sabretache5611

Quote from: Unknown on July 04, 2011, 06:13:22 PM
If there is a movie, it better to rated PG-13 because of the battles and blood. I'm saying I want to see guts flying through the air, but  I was disappointed with the Legends of the Guardians movie because there wasn't one drop of crimson.

Don't think of me a was blood-thirsty person. But how can a battle be intense if it isn't a little realistic?

agreed.  The Legend of the Guardians movie took all the seriousness out of the series.  I read the synopsis and I was already unhappy.  The changed the plot elements and im guessing the battles to make it E for everyone, but in doing so kinda spoiled the suspense, the danger and the all around serious situation of the Guardians.  If they ever make a Redwall movie, it should contain the seriousness of the situations in the books, but not be a bloodbath for the sake of being a bloodbath.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 03, 2011, 03:29:03 AM
Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 02, 2011, 04:28:06 AM
Legend of the Guardians was pretty violent. The books were violent. It was still rated PG in Australia (not sure about other countries). Surely if Redwall was as violent as LOTG it would still include most of the war scenes and still be rated PG. Although there are some pretty violent parts. Maybe they could just do that thing where they turn the screen black and you only here the sound at some of those intense parts.
The LOTG books were incredibly violent, in my opinion - I was really surprised to find issues like cannibalism addressed as well. I think the movie was more "action packed" than violent, though. And I agree that a similar approach to battle scenes in Redwall would be a great idea - you get all of the action without gratuitous blood flying through the air. I also know what you mean with the "blacked out" bits. :D That might work... personally, I like it when battle scenes or episodes of tragedy are shown with soft instrumental music in the background and little to no dialogue. Brings out the idea behind the whole thing, rather than focusing on the killing...
The Chronicles of Narnia were also pretty violent and dark, (Battle scenes are in several books and at least one fight scene in books that don't have battle scenes, villains were pretty dark), but in the recent movies, they did a pretty good job of making it not so bloody, but making pretty good battle scenes at the same time.  They didn't have bloody battle scenes, but did have charging warriors, people fighting each other and people getting knocked by other fighters and fighters getting shot by arrows.
Trying to stop me reading Redwall is like trying to separate Sabretache from his sabre.  Basically, don't try.

Unknown

. . . So then, sabretache, do you prefer blood or not?

sabretache5611

Quote from: Unknown on July 05, 2011, 02:01:27 AM
. . . So then, sabretache, do you prefer blood or not?

frankly im not sure about my own preference XD  but i do know that in order for the movie to retain the seriousness of the books, there has to be fighting, violent fighting, but not necessarily bloody fighting.

Osu

Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 04, 2011, 11:17:39 PM
The Chronicles of Narnia were also pretty violent and dark, (Battle scenes are in several books and at least one fight scene in books that don't have battle scenes, villains were pretty dark), but in the recent movies, they did a pretty good job of making it not so bloody, but making pretty good battle scenes at the same time.  They didn't have bloody battle scenes, but did have charging warriors, people fighting each other and people getting knocked by other fighters and fighters getting shot by arrows.
I agree with how the Narnia movies handled the battle scenes - they did very well. I also think the Guardians movie, though certainly toned down, was still acceptable as far as being based on the books goes. It may even stand on its own. I dunno, but I didn't mind getting a sortakinda different story when I got my hands on the books. :)
And Sabertache - I LOVE. YOUR. USERNAME. YES. ;D
Redwall is always open, its tables laden, to you and any of good heart.

sabretache5611

Quote from: Osu on July 06, 2011, 02:45:29 AM
Quote from: sabretache5611 on July 04, 2011, 11:17:39 PM
I agree with how the Narnia movies handled the battle scenes - they did very well. I also think the Guardians movie, though certainly toned down, was still acceptable as far as being based on the books goes. It may even stand on its own. I dunno, but I didn't mind getting a sortakinda different story when I got my hands on the books. :)
And Sabertache - I LOVE. YOUR. USERNAME. YES. ;D

TY  :)  Deviating from Redwall, but i thought the point of certain serious things like Soren's parents dying were essential to shaping Soren's character, and forcing him to grow up faster.

back to the redwall movie, would you think the animation style used for guardians movie and certain narnian characters aka reepicheep be appropriate for a Redwall movie?  I certainly think a Toy story 3 or a Ratatouille animation style is inappropriate.   I don't think i want the movie to be remniscient of old Redwall series, it was too endearing and simply would not show the great battles in reality or carry suspense.

DanielofRedwall

I think if they got Animal Logic (Happy Feet, Legend of the Guardians) to do the animation then that would be epic. Just look at how well they animated LOTG, it was breathtaking. I think CGI animation in the style of LOTG would be the best fit for Redwall. I agree also that they shouldn't do it in a Disney Pixar kind of way with the animation, if they did I just wouldn't be able to take it seriously.

Do you reckon, if they did make a Redwall movie, that they should do it in 3D? And who would you most want to direct it?
Received mostly negative reviews.

sabretache5611

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on July 06, 2011, 11:22:16 AM
I think if they got Animal Logic (Happy Feet, Legend of the Guardians) to do the animation then that would be epic. Just look at how well they animated LOTG, it was breathtaking. I think CGI animation in the style of LOTG would be the best fit for Redwall. I agree also that they shouldn't do it in a Disney Pixar kind of way with the animation, if they did I just wouldn't be able to take it seriously.

Do you reckon, if they did make a Redwall movie, that they should do it in 3D? And who would you most want to direct it?
3d...would be interesting.

i don know any directors so dk on the last question

martins#1fan

I think they should shoot it live, then animate it.
That would look cool.
Or maybe make it like Narnia, didgitizzzzzzzed!  8)
LateRose is locked up in Martin's heart, and there she's bound to stay.

sabretache5611

Quote from: martins#1fan on July 07, 2011, 08:50:03 PM
I think they should shoot it live, then animate it.
That would look cool.
Or maybe make it like Narnia, didgitizzzzzzzed!  8)
sorry i don't get the point of shooting it live...these days they just animate the whole thing and not shoot anything.  for the Narnian 3rd movie (Dawn Treader) they actually did an animated version first.

Gerbilkit

As much as I like the idea of a strong CGI movie (a la Narnia). I think that something a little more animated in feel would be more suited to the original audience. Maybe something like the style in Tangled or any of these new children's movies with CGI animation.  Redwall was written as a children's story, and I think that's who BJ would have wanted it targeted to.

I don't think the violence is an issue. You don't need to show blood spray, but actual fighting, injuries, etc Are in my opinion already quite common in children's movies. Something like a decapitation might be a bit much, but if you look at most Redwall books, gruesome deaths are actually not entirely common.

While I love the project out at deviant art ( and have spoken to them and considered getting involved as a web developer), ultimately I think they will find that there is simply too much work and keeping volunteers motivated and working hard over the duration of such a long term project will prove to be too much.
"Sometimes a dagger can reach further than a sword, remember that stoat." - Luke the Warrior

The Lady Shael

Quote from: Gerbilkit on July 08, 2011, 02:37:02 PM
While I love the project out at deviant art ( and have spoken to them and considered getting involved as a web developer), ultimately I think they will find that there is simply too much work and keeping volunteers motivated and working hard over the duration of such a long term project will prove to be too much.

As much as I want their project to succeed, I have to agree with you. The hard part about succeeding in a long-term volunteer project is keeping everyone motivated. Even if they are motivated, I'm sure not everyone has enough time to stay on schedule. I wish there was some way I could help but I don't really know how (and I don't think I could commit the time).
~The Lady Shael Varonne of Mossflower Country
http://www.redwallwarlords.com/

sabretache5611

Quote from: The Lady Shael on July 08, 2011, 03:19:58 PM
Quote from: Gerbilkit on July 08, 2011, 02:37:02 PM

As much as I want their project to succeed, I have to agree with you. The hard part about succeeding in a long-term volunteer project is keeping everyone motivated. Even if they are motivated, I'm sure not everyone has enough time to stay on schedule. I wish there was some way I could help but I don't really know how (and I don't think I could commit the time).

true... it took several years for that finnish or swedish group to make a full length star trek parody movie.  yep I don't know if I can devote time either and i don't have anything to offer other than knowledge on Redwall series...

Alessandro Reinares

I think it would be okay if they follow the book.

Captain Tammo

Quote from: Marls on July 08, 2011, 07:17:16 PM
I think it would be okay if they follow the book.

I agree. I think they should do it on the Long Patrol.
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior