The Order

Started by Flandor, June 07, 2012, 03:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flandor

First things first: this will not be a discussion about religion.  Mr. Jacques specifically stated that there is no religion in his stories and I'd rather my topic not be closed because people can't discuss religion maturely.

Now, I wanted to discuss the brotherhood at Redwall.  This is something I really enjoyed about the first book.  The abbey felt more like an organized place of peace and nonviolence in Redwall.  I feel like this became less and less the case as the series went on.

Abbot Mortimer was very staunchly against violence.  He didn't want to harm Cluny or his horde if at all possible.  He grew stern with Matthias when he spoke of swords and war.  Matthias was referred to as a novice of the order.  It seemed much more organized than in any of the other books. 

Contrast this to the last story, the Rogue Crew, in which the Abbot seemed almost giddy about defending Abbey (it was either the Rogue Crew or one of the other new books that I'm thinking of).  I missed Mortimer's pacifism.  It seemed more appropriate for an abbot. Abbess Germaine also looked for peaceable options in Mossflower.

The idea of an order at Redwall is very interesting to me.  What is required of initiates? Do they take a vow of pacifism? What do they learn? Must they all become educated or do they learn whatever trade can be useful? Is there any sort of meditation or other calming ceremony that they partake in? Are there rules regarding alcohol, marriage, conduct etc?

I'd enjoy discussing this, even if we can never know for sure.

(Mods: if this belongs more in History/legends/lore please move it.  I wasn't sure where it belonged.)
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Calaron

I think in Mariel the Abbey code or some such is recited by Dandin and Saxtus.  As to whether the code was changed at some pint or lost to time as so many other hints, who knows.

Throughout the books there is mention of fates and seasons in the prayers spoken or sung by creatures.  If anything was viewed as a higher power, those seemed to be the top with various spirits such as Martin and various Badger types showing up with regularity.

Flandor

I had forgotten about that code being mentioned in Mariel!  *goes off to read it again*
"Each of us is born to follow a star, be it bright and shining or dark and fated."
-Rillbrook the Wanderer, son of Rillbrook the Wanderer, Grandson of Rillbrook the Wanderer

Redwaller

I like Redwall better because of that!

Taggerung_of_Redwall

Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

WildDoogyPlumm

Quote from: Flandor on June 07, 2012, 03:07:02 AM
Contrast this to the last story, the Rogue Crew, in which the Abbot seemed almost giddy about defending Abbey (it was either the Rogue Crew or one of the other new books that I'm thinking of).  I missed Mortimer's pacifism.  It seemed more appropriate for an abbot. Abbess Germaine also looked for peaceable options in Mossflower.
Well, also, Mortimer and Germaine were old and experienced.  Abbot Thibb was young, it would make sense that he was excited about defending Redwall.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Flandor

Thank you ToR, that really answers most of my questions.  I had forgotten that charter.

@Doogy: that's a very good point.

Rainshadow

Sorry, but I just have one question to ask.  Do any of you know how to pronounce Thibb?  I can't tell if it would be pronounced:  Thib, or Tib.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

redwallgurl

i laways did thib but youll have to check the audio book
Fun. is a fantastic band.

Rainshadow

Quote from: redwallgurl on June 10, 2012, 09:40:14 PM
i laways did thib but youll have to check the audio book

Thanks.  I always pronounced it as Tib, but I didn't know.
If you're interested in my art or keeping in touch, I'm active on DeviantArt and Instagram!

Tiria Wildlough

I'd say it's pronounced how it looks.
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Skyblade

This is kinda obvious, but I do think that they take an oath to not harm another living creature, only to help them. I think novices learn the history of Redwall, help with chores, and practice hospitality.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Redwallfan7

Right, and when any Redwaller breaks a rule, they're supposed to do extra chores. Kind of like how it is at every kid's house Lol
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

gorath

My favorite people: Obi Wan, Satele Shan, Jek 14, Kai, Longtooth, and Kili.

AbbotAlf0805

I wondered.. can the redwall brothers and sisters get married? like real monks and nuns can't get married.
I will lead Redwall Abbey to a golden age of peace through the power of Jesus Christ.