News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

[DISCUSSION] Cheese in Redwall

Started by Sailears, September 18, 2013, 09:00:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ungatt Trunn

That always had me stumped. Its made clear that there aren't any cows or anything like that, so it is a mystery...

Life is too short to rush through it.

Faiyloe

Hey they are walking talking animals with swords and we are trying to logically explain why they have cheese!
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

MeadowR

^ True, but sometimes you have to make sense out of a set situation/story, even if said situation is not quite true to life... if that makes sense!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Redwaller

Quote from: rachel25 on September 19, 2013, 04:48:22 PM
you can get milk from dandelions  8)
What oh, old chap, if I remember correctly, you can make a butter substitute with it, or maybe I'm mistaking it with young unrippened hickory nuts...

Anyway, my best guess would be that the bally greensap milk is what they use, wot?

brocka

I'm not positive but I thought it was made from something called "meadowcream". I don't know what that came from, however. Probably a sap from a plant. Didn't they make a cheese with sliced almonds in it and put it on celery? Yum-yum, wish I  had some right now!

Faiyloe

Actually meadow cream was a topping like whipped cream.   
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Lookin' up greenzap ah found ziz:

QuoteIf there are no cows in Redwall, where do they get the milk and cheese?
This is a good question. There are indeed no cows or goats in Redwall. There are, however, plants that produce milk-like substances. This is what is referred to as "greensap milk". Besides, how could you have an abbeyful of mice with no cheese?

Zae aye, tiz indeed greenzap milk. Ah found it 'ere.
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Sailears

Yep, it's answered.

Greensap milk or something similar to soy milk - a plant based milk in any case, and they use that to make cheese and possibly creams and other dairy equivalent foodstuffs.

I'll add that to the OP.
My ears, how are you, wot!

Emperor Ublaz

Maybe it's made of mouse milk, or hedgehog's milk, or something like that. They are all mammals, after all.
Myst is the best puzzle game EVER!!!

You can win by losing. Jesus did.

Why are you looking
So intently at the beans
While they are sleeping?
               --haiku by me

Linux is GREAT!!!

Redwaller

The answer is a few posts above.  ;)

Rusvul

Quote from: Emperor Ublaz on September 27, 2013, 01:49:48 AM
Maybe it's made of mouse milk, or hedgehog's milk, or something like that. They are all mammals, after all.
O_o Yeah. I don't think Brian would have knowingly implied that.

MeadowR

^ Yeah, let's keep it at female characters probably fed their newly borns with their milk - but no more use of it than that!
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

BlueRose

Ok, someone help me.

How the heck did the Redwallers make cheese???? Where did they get the milk? I'm confuuuseeeddd....
Was anyone else on the old DAB forum, circa 2009? I was recently reminded of it, lol.

Bitterly jittery, and not very glittery.

The Skarzs

Well, I can't help you there. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.