News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

the 'what if' game

Started by Vulpin, August 02, 2011, 10:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiria Wildlough

Then Gulo would have kept on fighting, and maybe kill Tam.
What if Cregga had survived after taking Vallug's arrow?
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Then there would be a lot of dead vermin once she was well enough for vengeance.

What if they had used black sandstone instead of red when they built the abbey?

(and I honestly don't care if black sandstone exists or not. It's just a random question. ;D)
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

Tiria Wildlough

Then it would have been called Blackwall. XD
What if Cluny had managed to keep Redwall?
I'm not a hipster.

James Gryphon

The situation seemed dire as Cluny's surviving horde was ganged up on by an incredible number of sparrows, shrews, and Redwallers. It would take a massive change of fortune for the as-of-yet undefeated army to win the day.

That change came when Cluny the Scourge came back down into Great Hall, equipped with the shield and sword of Martin.

As the massive rat came roaring into the battlefield, the meaning of the warlord's new armament was immediately obvious to both sides. Cluny's horde took heart; the defenders battled on with grim determination.

However, as great as the army was, they were unable to combat the great rat as his ill-acquired sword tore through them. With the death of the Log-a-Log the Guosim were routed and fled from the Abbey. The sparrows and the remaining Redwallers put up a legendary battle, but at the end of the day the Scourge emerged triumphant, albeit with less than two-score rats left to his command.

Cluny's Castle became the most feared and notorious building of all time. The Scourge ruled over Mossflower with an iron claw. Those killed as a result of his reign included a certain fox going by the name of "Lunar Stellaris" and his entertainment troupe. When the infamous General Ironbeak came down from the north several seasons later, and attempted to conquer the Castle, they were decimated by the ruthless rat warlord.

While the Scourge had no blood descendants, his chosen successors reigned over his Castle for many seasons to come. One Rat King infamously stole the Pearls of Lutra, and then eradicated the Corsairs of Sampetra after their Emperor, "Ublaz Mad Eyes" launched an expedition to reclaim them.

The end of Cluny's Castle would come some seasons after, when the south wall began to crumble. Normally the rat inhabitants would have had time to rebuild it, but the Rapscallions, who had taken to traveling in-land, posed an imminent threat to the castle's defense. The final Rat King took his horde to battle with the Rapscallions near the place that would become known as the Ridge of Dead Rats; it was a bloody affair, but the battle was relatively even, and could have gone either way, had Lady Cregga Rose Eyes and her Long Patrol not come in and destroyed all of both sides.

Having won a massive victory, the Badger Lady proceeded on to Cluny's Castle, once known as Redwall Abbey, and completely demolished it, taking only the few things that were left of the building's original inhabitants. Generations later the site of the building was still empty and uninhabited, and its memory lived on only in the records of Salamandastron.

What if Martin II wasn't immune to Ublaz's hypnotic gaze?

(P.S.: If you can't tell, this is one of my favorite topics on this forum. ;))
« Subject to editing »

Tiria Wildlough

Wow, James Gryphon, that's a good story. Please write it down. I REALLY want to read it! ;D
Anyway, if Martin II wasn't immune to hypnosis, Ublaz would have undoubtedly killed him. :( But this wouldn't necessarily mean the end of Ublaz. ;)
What if Lady Cregga Rose Eyes had died killing Damug Warfang?
I'm not a hipster.

Nightfire

Then there would be no one to give Mhera frustrating letter riddles.

What if Slagar the Cruel had succeeded with his plan?
Feel free to send me a private message or visit me at my deviantART, FictionPress, or FanFiction accounts. Message me for account links.

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Ublaz widnae have died.

Wot if Stonefleck didnae die?
NARDOLE; You are completely out of your mind!
DOCTOR: How is that news to anyone?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Icefire

He may have escaped to warn Malkariss of the approaching enemy....and probably would have been killed for his failure to stop them.

What would it have meant for Matthias and company if the above mentioned situation had occured?
Living in peace, aye many a season,
Calm in life and sound in reason,,
'Til evil arrives, a wicked horde,
Driving a warrior to pick up his sword,
The challenger rings then, straight and fair,
Justice is with us, beware. Beware!

Nightfire

Death.

What if the beaver made a recurring appearence in the Redwall books and got a name other that "The Solitary Beaver?"

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

We'd aw be in big trouble.

Wot if Luke the Warrior had lived?

"I am Yomin Carr, the harbinger of doom. I am the beginning of the end of your people!" -Yomin Carr

-Sometime later, the second mate was unexpectedly rescued by the subplot, which had been trailing a bit behind the boat (and the plot). The whole story moved along.

Nightfire

ThenMartinwouldbeevenhappierthenheisnow,andifLukesurvivedthecrash, thatwouldmeanRanguarFoeseekersurvivedthecrash,soIandMarthawouldbe overjoyed.

What if more people were Ranguvar Foeseeker fans?

HeadInAnotherGalaxy

Zee me previouz anzwer.

Wot if a wormhole opened up an' tranzported uz aw tae the Redwall world az the creature tha' we wid be?

Redwall Musician

I would be sooooo happy.

What if the Loamhedge mice did not had to leave their abbey and didn't go to Mossflower?
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

James Gryphon

After successfully helping Gonff, the Prince of Mousethieves and his friend Martin the Warrior escape, the Corim deliberated as to its next move. At length, they decided to work on establishing a spy network to get information about everything going on in Kotir.

Gonff proposed they hire the robin Chibb. Though initially offending the bird, they were eventually able to arrange a payment of eight bags of candied chestnuts in exchange for his services.

Much later, a team of moles broke into Kotir and devised a plan to sink the fortress through several flood tunnels. When Gonff and his company returned from their quest to Salamandastron, they scuttled Wuddship and used it to assist in this effort.

As Tsarmina escaped the ruined fortress, Martin the Warrior confronted her with the now-legendary Sword. He prevailed over the wildcat, but at a great cost; the former Queen's teeth and claws had nearly ripped his body to shreds. Bella of Brockhall and Goodwife Stickle did the best they could to preserve the Warrior's life, but in the end it just wasn't enough and Martin passed on to Dark Forest.

Taking possession of his friend's sword, Gonff tarried in Mossflower for a while, but eventually he grew restless and went on several thieving journeys, taking such items as the Doomwyte jewels. In one adventure down south, he stole the heart of a young mousemaid by the name of Columbine, and persuaded her to return with him to his home in Mossflower country. They settled down into St. Ninian's.

Many seasons later, the horde of Swartt Sixclaw came into Mossflower country. As they posed a certain threat to St. Ninian's, the Gonfelin tribe (of which Bryony was a part of), ambushed the horde and convinced the warlord to take his forces elsewhere. Swartt Sixclaw's son was discovered, and eventually taken to Brockhall.

Veil became a villain and was killed by the Skipper of Otters after poisoning Myrtle the hedgehog. With no son to bother him and without Bryony at hand to rescue Sunflash the Mace, Swartt Sixclaw managed to get his revenge, only to perish in battle with the Long Patrol shortly afterwards.

Many seasons later, a young mousemaid by the name of Storm Gullwhacker came down to Mossflower country and came to reside at St. Ninian's. Graypatch the rat and his crew came by shortly afterwards, but were defeated by the Gonfelins and their allies. Meanwhile, Gabool the Wild crushed a slave rebellion on the isle of Terramort, built a new and very large fleet, and besieged Salamandastron. With no resident Badger Lord, there was a massive battle, but the hares of the Long Patrol, at the cost of almost their entire number, were able to repel the invasion and defeat the searat king.

Far south, Storm and Dandin help save Castle Floret from the Urgan Nagru. Cap'n Slipp and Blaggut stumble across St. Ninian's, but the mice there aren't interested in taking in stray rats. Slipp is killed trying to steal from them, but Blaggut lives to settle down in Mossflower country, and eventually discovers his talent for building boats.

Many seasons after that, Ferahgo the Assassin decides the time has come to conquer Salamandastron. Dingeye and Thura aren't able to get into St. Ninian's, and so continue on down the road. The legendary Sword is never stolen. The spirit of Gonff appears to a Mossflower squirrel, Samkin, in a dream, and they set out on a quest that saves Salamandastron from destruction.

A long time later, Cluny the Scourge comes to Mossflower. Taking the Gonfelin thieves by surprise, he easily conquers St. Ninian's, and takes the sword with it. In the ensuing war with the otters and squirrels, Cluny burns out much of the forest, turning Mossflower Forest into the Mossflower Plains. Eventually the rat, having achieved his objective of destruction and mayhem, and having destroyed much of what made the country appealing, continues traveling on. General Ironbeak and his army comes down from the north, seeking warmer and easier territory to inhabit. They find the ruins of St. Ninian's and take up residence there.

Seasons later, Emperor Ublaz Mad Eyes sends a ship to steal the Pearls of Lutra. Graylunk escapes with the Pearls, and seeks refuge in St. Ninian's, where the inhabitants steal the Pearls of Lutra from him. However, Conva's trackers soon discover their whereabouts, and wage a short, bloody war with the jackdaws, ravens, and other birds. In the end, all six of the pearls are brought back to the isle of Sampetra, to adorn the pine marten's crown.

By the time of "The Long Patrol", the Mossflower Plains still have a long way to go to recover from the Scourge's rampage. The main significant place left in the country, and the only one that has survived since Gonff's time, is Camp Willow, which is home to an otter holt.

---

Those mice may not have seemed to make much of a difference in Mossflower, but you can see that the country really changes without them in the long term. ;)

What if Saltar succeeded in defeating Gabool in their swordfight?
« Subject to editing »

Nightfire

Then we'd have a new searat king, one who would not go crazy and hallucinate a ringing bell. Harharharr!

What if Sunflash the Mace had died and Skarlath had lived?