gnoffen thieves

Started by Dannflor, September 01, 2011, 04:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Captain Tammo

Remind me, who were they? Were they in Doomwyte?
"Cowards die a thousand times, a warrior only dies once. The spirits of all you have slain are watching you, Vilu Daskar, and they will rest in peace now that your time has come. You must die as you have lived, a coward to the last!" -Luke the warrior

Skalrag of Marshank

Shouldn't this go in Character Discussion?
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

Lily

Dannflor, you should add a bit more information to your topics. Maybe remind those people who haven't read the books for a while who you're talking about and raise a few points for discussion.

Log-a-Log

Yeah, the Gonffen were in Doomwyte
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Dotti

I love the atmosphere of the Gonffen cave, however I wish they were a bit more.....I guess sophisticated would be the word.  Gonff could be quite a gentleman, and could charm anyone.  I don't think the Gonffen have the same charm.
"Aha! Today I shall become an author, and I shall auth, and auth, and auth, and make a squillion dollars! Whoopee!!!"
~Brian Jacques

Taggerung_of_Redwall

For the record, the spelling is Gonfelin Thieves...
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Janglur Swifteye

I like how all their names ended in -o

DanielofRedwall

^

Yeah, but it got a bit confusing with Aluco the owl. I kept thinking he was in the tribe!
Received mostly negative reviews.

winifred

Quote from: Dotti on September 07, 2011, 02:57:21 AM
I love the atmosphere of the Gonffen cave, however I wish they were a bit more.....I guess sophisticated would be the word.  Gonff could be quite a gentleman, and could charm anyone.  I don't think the Gonffen have the same charm.
I most definitly agree with all that you say but some people for these reasons hate gnonffelin and hate doomwyte.I love it! :)
Sherlock
Doctor Who
Beyond the Western Deep
Mouseguard
Ranger's Apprentice
Lord of the Rings
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Book Thief
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson
:D
And many many more...

Dannflor

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

Muse

See, I liked Doomwyte. In it, Brian Jacques really broke out of the usual "vermin horde rampant in Mossflower, Redwallers fight all-out battle to kill them". I mean, yes, it was hard to get used to, but it was really interesting. Hordes of birds or reptiles, noticeably ravens, crows, toads, or lizards, are usual, but are never the main threat, just a kind of obstacle. Here, they were the enemy, but the real one was Baliss. In Redwall, lots of people are annoyed at how easily Matthias killed Asmodeus. The point was that Martin helped him. I still wished for an even more threatening snake, and Baliss was perfect. And yes, the Gonfelin are very cool. They are more uncouth then Gonff, but then, they are not Gonff. They've lived outside Redwall for generation. Gonff seems to be turning up a lot in the series. Outcast of Redwall, Doomwyte, and Mariel of Redwall all had Gonff descendants.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Taggerung_of_Redwall

And the journals kept by him, Dinny and Columbine were a very incredible aspect, and worked very well. Adding that kind of thing into a book needs to be done right, and Jacques did a wonderful job.
And the questing Martin the Warrior was on mentioned in Gonff's journal.
Start building something beautiful and just put the hate away

Muse

yes, Gonff is a loose end that Jacques continually leaves open on purpose, and it works wonders.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse

Romsca