Covers of book 1

Started by Dawnwing, September 21, 2011, 05:46:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawnwing

So, between the original, 10th anniversary, and 20th anniversary, what's your favorite edition of Redwall?    I was thinking about this today because I saw the 10th anniv paperback at a secondhand store.

I dislike the first cover, to be honest.  The paperback is also rather large - I like trade paperback size better - and on the shelf looks like it doesn't belong with the other ones.  The 10th anniversary one I really do like, and I have a soft spot for that one because that's the first edition I read.   The 20th anniversary one is pretty, and the poster and little cards were cool, but I hadn't realized that the book would be split into three parts, and I dislike reading it in that format.   It also is a bit wide on the shelf.

If I could pick one edition to own, it would be the 10th anniversary paperback.  I was considering getting the one at the secondhand store, but I DO already have the other two versions, and wouldn't feel like selling them.

Lily

I only own the original UK paperback and the UK tenth anniversary hard cover myself. The relative sizes of the books don't bother me one way or another; my whole collection is all over the place in terms of size. I have the first seven books in the smaller paperback format, then the next few in hard cover and the next few in larger paperback and then they switch back to hard cover.

My favourite edition of Redwall is probably the UK tenth anniversary hardback because it's nice and elegant-looking, plus I like the illustration on the front.

DanielofRedwall

I like the 20th anniversary edition and the UK Redwall paperback.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Lutra

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20060105015641/redwall/images/thumb/e/e1/RedwallSoftcover.jpg/230px-RedwallSoftcover.jpg

I own the original printing version, but really enjoy the 10th Anniversary one.  I used to have a copy of it, but it got lent out and never returned.  :'( Guess that person liked it too....
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwall Musician

The one I read looks like this:

^^^ Have no idea what edition that one is.

I have also seen the 20th anniversary edition:

^^^I like that one!
..."Where courage hides within the shawdows, patience within the storms, friendship in around every corner, and inspiration just outside your window."

Skalrag of Marshank

The 20th Anniversary is the one I have. ;D
"With great chocolate comes great responsibility."
  ~ Larry Boy

DanielofRedwall

I have the UK paperback one, this one:

I don't like the modern paper back one, this one:
Received mostly negative reviews.

Coobreedan

I won't be on this forum much anymore, but I'll pop in to say hi every now and then.

Folgrimeo

The 20th anniversary US cover is stunning, and one of the few times I thought a US cover was better than the other editions (because usually UK or Russia has the best of the lot).

And yeah, I wasn't too wild about the UK modern paperback covers. The realistic backgrounds and their tints are beautiful, but the emblems and awkward silhouettes are so distracting. The "Redwall" one is one of my least favorite UK modern covers, as I didn't expect Redwall to look like that, or look that blood red. It's just not meant to be put in a threatening light like that.

Log-a-Log

I have the 10th anniversary one with Asmodeus coiling around Matthias's sword and Cluny's head at the top
I know you can fight William, but its our wits that make us men. - Malcolm Wallace, from Braveheart

Muse

I really hate the original, and the original for Mattimeo and Mossflower.
Do not fear the unknown. It cannot hurt you.
What is truly worth fearing is the known.
By Muse