They Thought Redwall was Safe! (Is Redwall as Safe as they Say it is? Part 3!)

Started by Ashleg, February 24, 2017, 11:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleg

Maxy held his breath, sometimes being pushed under enough to cover his snout. He had to shut out Fastooth and focus on the task in front of him. He gasped, his kicking growing weaker as he neared the bank. "I don't know if I can do it--oh!"

Smooth pebbles rolled underneath his footpaws.

"Fastooth!" he panted. "I can stand! Come on!" Pulling the rat along with him, the squirrel ran through the water the rest of the way and climbed up onto the dry grass.

LT Sandpaw

It appeared that Fate looked kindly upon Fastooth as the current pushed them closer to shore at a bend in the river. At Maxy's prompting Fastooth stretched his toes down, feeling them sink into the muddy and pebble dotted river bed, relief flooding through him. Wading his way to shore the big rat climbed out next to Maxy, flopping down on his back his chest heaving, not wanting to move a muscle after the many near death experiences.

"Tha's twice n' one evenin' matey." He said from the prone, glancing sideways towards the squirrel. "I owe ye double, an' ye'll get it too, ask anythin' o' me mate. Long as it ain't ta die. Haharr."

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Ashleg

"I wouldn't save you just to ask you to die," Maxy breathed, his mind flashing back to earlier in the day when he had talked to Rayne about the worst thing in his life. He shook his head resolutely. "Boy, Fastooth, I'm tired..."

The Skarzs

Afagon's head jerked around as he heard a noise. Was that a splash? The otter stood up and held his javelin poised to stab, looking about in the darkness. Then there was some distant shouting, and more splashing. It was definitely somebeast out there, in the water.
  He turned back to his companion and shook him. "Oriff!"
  The mouse groaned and blinked his eyes. "Seasons, Afagon, and you're the one telling me to be quiet. . ."
  "There's somebeast not far off, I'm going to take a look," said Afagon, standing up.
  Oriff threw off his blanket. "Well then, I'd better come with you! Safety in numbers!" With that, he took up his own weapon and stole after Afagon.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

"Aye lad, I'm fit ter get some shuteye right 'ere right now." Fastooth sat up giving himself a good shake to rid the moisture from his fur. "Still, we jumped from th' pot an inter th' fire and escaped that too. Heh imagine th' water bein' fire. Anyway now we gotta watch out fer th' scullery maid. Which brings to mind, where'd th' tree rats go?"

The river's swift current had carried the two friends a short ways downriver, placing them out of sight of the hunting rodents. Not that any of them would've dared cross the night shrouded river to reach their hated foe.

"I don' think they'll follow us o'er here." Fastooth speculated. "We oughta be safe from 'em, dunno about any other dangers that reside 'ere. I've never crossed th' river afore. This be new territory for me."

Ashleg

"Same here," Maxy admitted, wringing out his tunic. "I haven't been much of anywhere before." He sighed and stared out across the river, thinking of Redwall and Stumbly and his father. He wondered if anybeast back home would even allow Fastooth inside, nonetheless let him stay.  His stomach rumbled irritably. "I should have brought food," the young squirrel remarked, laying out on his back. "Should we take turns guarding, just in case somebeast decides they want us dead?"

The Skarzs

Afagon stopped and crouched down behind a deadfall on the bank. Oriff peeked out over the top of the tree. "Looks like two of them. . . Can't tell if they're vermin or not."
  "No, neither can I. . ." replied Afagon quietly.
  Oriff looked at his friend, then stood up. "Well, I'm gonna go see!" With that, the mouse hopped over the tree and walked boldly towards Maxy and Fastooth.
  "Oriff!" Afagon hissed out.
  "Hello, friends!" said Oriff, ignoring Afagon.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

Maxy started.
I guess I'm too late.

He scrambled up, looking both disheveled and defensive. "Who's there? What do you want?" he called, paw travelling to his dagger.

The Skarzs

"Name's Oriff. My friend and I heard something. What're you doing out here at night?"
  Afagon stepped up behind Oriff. "Who are you?"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

"We could ask ye th' same sort'o question there cully." Fastooth interjected, standing side by side with Maxy. The big rat looked the mouse and otter over with an experienced eye. They both seemed like capable beasts at a glance, even in the darkness of night, and well-armed too. They were dressed as travelers, but these were the kind of travelers Fastooth kept a healthy distance from, even when he wasn't soaked and exhausted.

Ashleg

Macy flattened his ears when he heard Fastooth's tone of voice. They're Woodlanders. Are they gonna give him trouble?

"Y-Yeah," he stammered, straightening up and narrowing his eyes.

The Skarzs

"Oriff and I are travelling to Redwall." Afagon nodded subtly. "Sorry, my name is Afagon."
  "Yeah, old 'alf-all-gone, and that half is his funny side!"
  The otter sighed. "Yes yes, I'm a serious fellow. And I'm serious when I want to know why a rat and a squirrel were taking a dive into the river in the middle of the night."
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Ashleg

"Redwall? Why, uh..." Maxy eyed Fastooth in a silent asking of permission before saying to the newcomers, "Tree rats! The little runts attacked us and 'taking a dive', as you say, was the only way out." He swayed, feathery tail skimming the ground. Gosh, I'm so tired.

The Skarzs

"How did you get mixed up with tree rats?" asked Afagon. "You, rat, are you making trouble for this young beast?"
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

LT Sandpaw

"No, I ain't." Fastooth assured, maybe a little to quickly. He raised his paws, palms towards Afagon to show he had nothing hidden. "I'm completely unarmed mate, an I 'ave no reason to wish any 'arm fall on me matey Maxy. 'E praticlally save me skin twice wit' those tree rats. I owe him me life, and I'll stand by that see."

Fastooth laid a comforting paw on Maxy's shoulder, stabilizing the young squirrel. "We're pals, ya hear. As for how we got mixed up wit' th' likkle savages, well that be a long tale, an' me matey an' I are tired n' wounded. If'n ye couldn' tell."