Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Mattio

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Mattio

Lutra

If you didn't have accents in a story, it implies that all characters are of the same culture, the same country, and the same lifestyle.  Redwall isn't like that.  The characters are not homogenous.  Redwall is different from Salamandastron, which is different from the Northlands, even though good beasts have come from these areas.  Its natural growing up in different places nets different accents and different speech and words.  If everyone spoke the same in Redwall it would seem sterile and unnatural.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

WildDoogyPlumm

My opinion: I think the accents were fine because Brian Jacques knew how to write them well.  If he couldn't write them well, they wouldn't have worked, but he did.  And I agree with the post above me: there is supposed to be differentiation between the cultures and homelands and lives of the characters from all different parts of the Redwall universe.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Rusvul

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on February 15, 2013, 10:45:51 PM
I can write them, but I have trouble speaking them. :-[
I'm the other way around, hard to write, easy to read. especially molespeak.

Ungatt Trunn

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on February 16, 2013, 02:29:48 AM
I can read them!!!
So can I! I think that different acsents add some flavor to the characters in the Redwall books.

Life is too short to rush through it.

Redwaller

I don't have trouble to read or hear accents and understanding.

And accents add to the experience.

Firehawke

It sometimes takes me little bit of extra time to understand what's being said when a new accent gets introduced, but I love the accents!!!!!!!  They add so much color to the stories  :D
The knitting, crochecting, Zoo Tycoon playing, frog loving member!

Thomas Barkshield

The accents are fairly funny and easy to understand, if only he added some Shakespearean animals - now THAT would have been funny. :D

Sailears

Quote from: Tiria Wildlough on February 15, 2013, 10:45:51 PM
I can write them, but I have trouble speaking them. :-[
Hehe, other way round for me - I can speak/understand, but struggle to write anything in accent.

I think it was a fantastic choice on his part to write in accents.
My ears, how are you, wot!

MeadowR

^ Aye! :D I guess that's another thing that keeps the Redwall books fairly unique.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Faiyloe

At first I had trouble understanding mole speech but after a bit I got the hang of it.
I am back... sort of... maybe... Hi?