News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

Something to think about...

Started by Izeroth, December 24, 2014, 12:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izeroth

In real life, otters, badgers, stoats, ferrets, and weasels are all actually related and in the same family. With this is mind, doesn't it seem strange that badgers and otters are such bitter enemies of stoats, ferrets, and weasels?

Jetthebinturong

"In the meantime, no one should roam the camp alone. Use the buddy system."
"Understood." Will looked at Nico. "Will you be my buddy?"
"You're a dork," Nico announced.
~ The Hidden Oracle, Rick Riordan

LT Sandpaw

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Izeroth

I think squirrels are actually related to mice and rats as well...

The Skarzs

Yeh, I've thought about this as well; it's a bit redundant for many of the goodbeasts to call others 'vermin'.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

MeadowR

But we're all human, yet we don't all get along! Not sure if that's a justified argument, but it's food for thought? :p

I have thought about it myself several times, actually. :) I suppose going by how people perceive the certain animals - badgers being wiser and therefore more 'good' beasts, yet weasels often seen as tricksters had to go in 'bad', etc., Brian felt it would resonate more with readers, regardless of species relations. I think The Wind in the Willows must have had some inspiration for him.
~*Meadow*~

Season Namer 2014

Romsca

Yeah I think a lot of it has to do with the cultural associations we have with each of the animal species

Søren

Quote from: Romsca on December 26, 2014, 11:58:36 PM
Yeah I think a lot of it has to do with the cultural associations we have with each of the animal species
^^^ yup. We natural aren't fond of rats and weasles, but we like otters and squirrels. The media and kids shows and stuff contributes to this. Rats are always depicted in a bad way, and otters and squirrels rarely are.

I'm retired from the forum

Hickory

Agreed, though ferrets are commonly used (that saounds dirty) as pets.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

LT Sandpaw

Quote from: The Skarzs on December 25, 2014, 05:44:20 PM
Yeh, I've thought about this as well; it's a bit redundant for many of the goodbeasts to call others 'vermin'.

That's true, I've always wondered why vermin don't have their own name for Woodlanders, Or a name for themselves, they always seem to except that they are vermin and the others are woodlanders or goodbeasts.

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

Albrithr

Quote from: LT Sandpaw on January 05, 2015, 12:43:39 AM
Quote from: The Skarzs on December 25, 2014, 05:44:20 PM

That's true, I've always wondered why vermin don't have their own name for Woodlanders, Or a name for themselves, they always seem to except that they are vermin and the others are woodlanders or goodbeasts.

They do, they call them bumpkins or some such term.
As for the otters/ferrets/etc... old family rivalries perhaps?