The Skarzs

Make me a good handle for my knives!!
Naw, but I have trouble carving my handles. :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on January 17, 2014, 01:55:28 AM
Quote from: The Skarzs on January 16, 2014, 07:25:51 PM
I'm making my own suit (can't get the computer to work right though, so won't be able to show pictures) both plate armor and chainmail.

Wow, I normal work with wood.
Same. I once made a hatchet out of wood that was sharp.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Shade

Quote from: The Skarzs on January 15, 2014, 06:26:04 PM
Fellow bladesmiths and blacksmiths, I greet you with great praise in continuing the dying art.
I've made a knife completely the "old fashioned way," and to all beginners, as cool as you think it may be to do it that way, it isn't that glorious. Save yourself hours of labor and sweat and us an angle grinder. And a gas forge. And several other tools I did not use which would have made that job, so much easier.
Haha, when I make knives I always use an angle grinder.  ;D
Quote from: The Skarzs on January 16, 2014, 07:25:51 PM
I'm making my own suit (can't get the computer to work right though, so won't be able to show pictures) both plate armor and chainmail.
Wow!  :)
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

Rusvul

About the armor... I made a pair of thigh plates. Not sure the name. I made a chestplate out of leather, I plan to make a brigandine tunic at some point.

The Skarzs

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on January 18, 2014, 06:20:20 PM
About the armor... I made a pair of thigh plates. Not sure the name. I made a chestplate out of leather, I plan to make a brigandine tunic at some point.
I think the thigh plates are called greaves, but that might be the shin plates :P
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

...Yeah, greaves are for your lower legs. They might be both. Idk.

But! I made knives! They're so coool! About a foot long each, they've got bronze hand guards, and handles made of red oak. They're almost completely identical. I'm proud of them. They each came from about a six inch piece of tie rod.

The Skarzs

Nice! What did you use for a tempering oven?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Quote from: The Skarzs on January 31, 2014, 04:37:32 AM
Nice! What did you use for a tempering oven?
Um, tempering oven? To temper the blade, we got it hot with a blowtorch and dipped it in oil. To forge it, we used a gas forge. These tools are owned by my blacksmith teacher, not me.

The Skarzs

I see, never mind. About how long did it take to finish?
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Rusvul

Um, at least ten months. But it was off and on, I only am able to do things every other week for two and a half hours.

The Skarzs

Aye, I see. But the off and on was still a lot of time; going back on a previous post, the amount of weapons in the books would be unrealistic. :P

It took me only a couple of hours to make a low-quality knife out of mild steel and harden it (haven't been able to temper it) and I have yet to make a good handle. If the vermin had bars of metal, they might have been able to make a couple poor weapons in a day, but I really don't know.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Tam and Martin

I really, really want to do Blacksmithing now! Hopefully I can find some lessons for it somewhere.

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

The Skarzs

Yeah, definitely look it up!
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

The Shade

Wish I could make longer weapons.  :-\ The place I go to doesn't allow you to make blades longer than about two thirds of a foot.
They told me I was gullible. I believed them.

It is well known that 47% of statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to leave out half my sentances, but now I

321tumbler

My friends and I to "blacksmithing" when we have camp fires, but don't have real tools (just a brick or regular hammer).