News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Computers

Started by Hickory, March 12, 2015, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FastFang

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on March 15, 2015, 08:53:15 PM
Quote from: Starla1431 on March 15, 2015, 01:42:27 AM
I like Windows. I would like to get the Alienware 17 someday...

It's a trap!

Branded computers charge you a bunch of extra money for a special little sticker. You could pay 1400 bucks for a laptop that will be outdated in a few years, or you could pay 800 or so for the pieces to assemble a desktop that will work better, last longer, and that you can upgrade in a few years when it starts to lag behind. That doesn't count monitor or keyboard, but that's maybe another 200 bucks for a nice monitor. And you also get a bigger monitor and a nicer keyboard...

Just my 2 copper pieces.

I agree for the ''brand name costs extra money'' but a laptop and a desktop computer should not be compared.
Some people will prefer to pay for a laptop because they move a lot and they need to bring their main computer to a lot of places.
google translate saved my life!

Leatho Shellhound

I got a windows XP, it's been running for over 12 years! Oh yeah!
    Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Mhera

Quote from: Leatho Shellhound on March 16, 2015, 01:49:38 AM
I got a windows XP, it's been running for over 12 years! Oh yeah!
:o Wow. My brother's has been going only seven, and it's about to kick the bucket.

Starla1431

Quote from: rusvulthesaber on March 15, 2015, 08:53:15 PM
Quote from: Starla1431 on March 15, 2015, 01:42:27 AM
I like Windows. I would like to get the Alienware 17 someday...

It's a trap!

Branded computers charge you a bunch of extra money for a special little sticker. You could pay 1400 bucks for a laptop that will be outdated in a few years, or you could pay 800 or so for the pieces to assemble a desktop that will work better, last longer, and that you can upgrade in a few years when it starts to lag behind. That doesn't count monitor or keyboard, but that's maybe another 200 bucks for a nice monitor. And you also get a bigger monitor and a nicer keyboard...

Just my 2 copper pieces.

I prefer a laptop. I don't really care if it becomes outdated; Just as long as it's still working fine in the running years or so. I'm not really into this 'newer equals better' stuff. I just want the Alienware 17 to play games on it.

Rusvul

Quote from: FastFang on March 16, 2015, 12:14:37 AM
I agree for the ''brand name costs extra money'' but a laptop and a desktop computer should not be compared.
Some people will prefer to pay for a laptop because they move a lot and they need to bring their main computer to a lot of places.

Yes, those people exist. I don't doubt that a Macbook Pro is probably better for a person with an office job or an entrepreneur or something, it'll do what you need where you need to do it. But for gaming? Laptops aren't as good. A desktop-power laptop will cost two or three times as much, have a 30-50% smaller monitor, a more cramped keyboard, will be louder and warmer, and will weigh so much as to be a pain to move. You trade in most of the versatility of a laptop in order to roughly equal the amount of power a mid-range desktop has... while paying a price tag that equals that of a high end desktop.

When it comes to hardware, newer equals better. Straight up. You can spend $1,000 on a computer today and have a computer several times as powerful as a 1k computer that you could have bought ten years ago. If you think you might be interested in any new game that might come out in the next few years, you want a current computer.

Software is a different matter. Many things still support Windows Vista, and potentially older OSes. Windows 7 is great, and people should still be able to use it for years and years without having too many problems. Unless Windows 10 is really good, I intend to.

What games do you want to play? I suppose that's relevant too.

Lutra

My five-ish year old laptop is a pretty big beast, now running Windows 8.1  I'm not interested in paying for the Mac premium that comes with buying a Mac, plus having to relearn software I've been familiar with.

Windows 10 looks like an art project.  Those bright colors I can do without if they're the defaults.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra