How to pronounce words in Mossflower country.

Started by Redwall Musician, September 22, 2011, 02:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lutra

I always felt the tv series had it correct:

Meth--oo--zel--ah
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Tiria Wildlough

Yep.
I pronounced Mhera as "Merra". Also, I think Quean is pronounced 'kw-EE-n'. :D
My tumblr! not-the-skycat.tumblr.com
I'm not a hipster.

Leatho Shellhound

Take a look at our Abbey's Art Gallery

click the banner

Tam and Martin

Martin used to pronounce ASmodeus as As-mo-dies

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Kitsune

Redwaller

This is such a good idea! I'll add it to the website! So anyone who wants to help with that, PM me!!!

W0NWILL

I used to pronounce Mattimeo Mat-TEE-me-oh. It annoyed my friend Evelyn to no end.

Redwallfan7

Do you pronounce Lutra with the long u or with the short u?
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

W0NWILL

AxeHound

(please do not send me the pm game messages)

Dawnwing

I agree with Leatho Shellhound; the audiobooks help a lot.  The names that stand out to me that I used to mispronounce are , like Redwaller said, "Mattimeo" as Mat-TEE-me-oh, and also sort of Keyla.  I used to pronounce Keyla correctly as KEE-la, then the TV show had it as KAY-la so I pronounced it that way for years, but then I just listened to the audiobook, which has it as KEE-la, and as that's narrated by BJ I assume it's correct.

I understand the molespeech a bit better now thanks to the audiobooks. xD

Lutra

I always thought Keyla was Kay-lah even before watching the tv series.  Given that Mr. Jacques was a consultant for the show, I'd suspect they'd make sure they pronounce the names correctly.
Ya Ottah! ~ Sierra

Redwallfan7

Before watching the show, I thought it was pronounced Kee-Lah
"There's some good in this world, Mr.Frodo, and it's worth fighting for."-Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

WildDoogyPlumm

In Mossflower, Gonff pronounced Salamandastron as: Sala-manda-stron, and he was told the name by a badger.
In the audiobooks, it's always pronounced: sala-man-DAS-tron.
I'm assuming the latter is correct, though.
"Guid warriors cannae rest 'til those dirty slayers are paid out in steel for their crimes, ye ken?" - Doogy

Redwaller