News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

Homeschoolers?

Started by Gonff, July 07, 2011, 01:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do/Have you homeschooled?

I have forever!
never
I did, then school, then homeschooled
School, Homeschool,School
School, then Homeschooled from then on
Homeschooled, then school from then on

shisteer of nothing much

I think that would be the case with most beasts. Personally, I think I'd still think they were over-panicking if I caught it myself.
    I have a shiny thing! See?

And another shiny thing:

And also some random, unnecessary coding.[/li][/list]

Long live the RRR!

Verdauga

Yeah, they probably still would be.
Killing the mood since 2019

Thanks for the artwork Lass, Scott, and Wortshire! (And Dannflower as well for the Worldstate badge.)

Sebias of Redwall

Aye.

So, what are some of your favorite things about homeschooling? (And yes, I'm only talking to the Privileged Ones. Not all y'all outsider weirdoes. XD) 
"I can only speak two languages. English and rubbish." ~Brian Jacques

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

This, basically:
Long post that I originally had on the Schooling thread.

Quote from: shisteer of nothing much on April 13, 2020, 02:30:25 AM
For me, I love homeschooling. The freedom it allows is delightful and, socially, I prefer it. Academically, school is probably easier. Our family has never been very organised so we kind of have to sort our own schoolwork out, which can be hard because the accountability isn't there, but it's not too hard and the benefits of homeschooling far outweigh the risk of procrastination. We learn so many life skills that aren't really taught in school.
A homeschooling family we knew had a house fire and didn't have anywhere to live for over a year, so we took them in and they stayed with us. One of the little boys had fetal alcohol syndrome and could be rather trying at times. The first few weeks of them staying with us was chaos but we eventually learned how to live with him and even grew to enjoy his company.
It's lessons like that and character building experience that makes homeschooling so valuable. I'll come across difficult people in my life and I'll know how to manage myself around them. I learned to control my emotions and learned to see people as more important than objects or goals. I've learned to how to interact with people older than me and younger than me. I've even learned how to break into cars. I've gained an appreciation for knowledge of learnt the value of listening. My academic knowledge may not be as complete as it would be if I'd gone to school, but I have the tools needed to learn whatever skill necessary in my life and the ability to get along with other people. I wouldn't trade that for anything.
(I can break into houses too, just so you know)
[close]

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

Quote from: Sebias of Redwall on April 19, 2020, 04:21:09 AM
Aye.

So, what are some of your favorite things about homeschooling? (And yes, I'm only talking to the Privileged Ones. Not all y'all outsider weirdoes. XD) 
I feel like maturity and rationality are a lot more prevalent throughout most homeschool educations. Quite helpful traits. Also just the flexibility, knowing my only bounds are the limits I set for myself. Homeschool is also very tailorable, which contrary to popular belief, can still coexist with organization and education.

MathLuk

Homeschooling could work when the parents don't trust the education system, but there have been cases where the people they choose are just as bad as the system, if not worse. It's all a gamble, in my opinion.

Another reason regular schooling could be better than homeschooling is that it's easier making friends away from home. People can't do that well without friends, after all, and school is a pretty solid place to meet new people.
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Tungro

The whole friends thing never made sense to me. With the flexibility of homeschool you have so much more time to actually go out and do stuff, meet new people. With public school you're stuck in the same old cycle with the same old people

My parents didn't homeschool me because they 'didn't trust the system', they did it because in their opinion public schooling could not offer me all the opportunities I could get through homeschooling, and I'm inclined to agree. Both were public schooled and they saw how much more they could give through homeschooling

"Parents can choose to homeschool for any number of reasons, such as: concerns about the school environment 34%, dissatisfaction with instruction 17%, and religious instruction 16%. (NCES)
70% of parents that homeschool have an extended eduction beyond a high school diploma. (CRHE)"

Sebias of Redwall

Yar, yar.^

As someone who has a lot of friends who are both, I'm rather inclined to say homeschoolers can possibly interact and know more people than public schoolers do quite often. I'm sure there are exceptions, though, but that was my experience.

"No half-heartedness and no worldly fear must turn us aside from following the light unflinchingly."

"Evil labours with vast power and perpetual success - in vain: preparing always only the soil for unexpected good to sprout in."

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

Tungro

A common homeschooler stereotype is 'socially awkward nerds uncapable of basic understanding beyond their thirty siblings'. Kind of insulting in all honesty

MathLuk

Oh... I'm glad you two had a good childhood where you made friends while learning at home.

Homeschooling isn't a common option where I live, so I've gotta admit I don't know much about it.
By what strange trick of fate do our paths cross anew?

Link to the Redwall Readership Restorers: https://discord.gg/frYkSzE

Sebias of Redwall

That's fair.

Quote from: Tungro on February 23, 2021, 12:55:16 AM
A common homeschooler stereotype is 'socially awkward nerds uncapable of basic understanding beyond their thirty siblings'. Kind of insulting in all honesty
Pretty much.

~JRR Tolkien

Long live the RRR!

shisteer of nothing much

*sigh* Thirty siblings. That would be wonderful.

Honestly, growing up, my two biggest complaints were that I didn't get a uniform, and we didn't get packed lunches. I still get ridiculously excited when I have the opportunity to have either, but living without them is certainly tolerable.

And another shiny thing:

Long live the RRR!

Booklover

(You realise that Americans mostly don't have uniform and some people go their entire school lives without having packed lunches?)
Error. Error. Cannot compute.

Flib Bigboat

Some of my friends go to a school where they have to wear uniforms. Also, with packed lunches you generally get more lunch than usual in them for some reason.

I think what I like most about being homeschooled is that it's not that stressful and there aren't any complications with corona virus like there are now in public schools.
Life is often like pushing a luggage cart through the airport. Sometimes I feel ridiculous, sometimes I look ridiculous, but I just keep pushing that luggage cart, and hoping I'm generally heading in the right direction.
Always keep your word, always finish what you started, and never go unprepared.
In a hole in the ground, there once lived a hobbit.
It's your birthday today, everybeast say hooray, there's a cat licking your birthday cake, it's your birthday today!
Long live the RRR!

Cornflower MM

Quote from: MathLuk on February 22, 2021, 01:49:55 PM
Another reason regular schooling could be better than homeschooling is that it's easier making friends away from home. People can't do that well without friends, after all, and school is a pretty solid place to meet new people.

There's actually a lot in the homeschooling communities for the socialization purpose. There's co-ops, 'play date' type groups, bands, choirs, sports stuff, etc. At least, there is in the US. Not sure about overseas.