News:

We're doing a read-along of the Redwall series! The current book is The Sable Quean!

Main Menu

The Redwall Forums Cook-book

Started by Unimaginative, December 30, 2013, 11:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unimaginative

Hey, let's all post our favorite recipes! It'll be fun to try out the other poster food, won't it?  ;) I'll start off with one of my favorite pudding recipes.

Abacate Batido: 2-4 Ripe Avacados. (2 for one-four people, 4 for five-eight people.) 1/2 of a cup of Whipping Cream, 2/3 of a cup of Powdered Suger, and 6 tablespoons Lime Juice.

First, cut the avacodos apart. Then remove the pits, and throw them away. Scoop out the insides of the Avacados, and put them in a blender. Discard the skins after getting as much avacado guts out as possible. Throw all the other ingredients into the blender, and blend until smooth. OPTIONAL: Garnish the cups of Abacate Batido with cut up Limes. Nice looking and tasty!
"Once built a steamboat in a meadow
Cos I'd forgotten how to sail" - The Gardener , The Tallest Man on Earth

rachel25

Cool topic, I can't think of any recipes at the moment. But I'll see what I can post later.  :)

Unimaginative

Scandanavian Apple and Creme pudding
2 large cooking apples, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tablespoons caster sugar
1 1/2 ounces unsalted butter
3 ounces rye breadcrumbs or 3 ounces brown breadcrumbs
2 ounces soft brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 pint whipping cream or 1/2 pint creme fraiche
4 tablespoons icing sugar
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons toasted hazelnuts, very finely chopped

Put the cubed and peeled apple chunks into a large saucepan with the caster sugar and 2 to 3 tablespoons water. Cook them over a gentle heat until they are completely tender - stirring them every so often to mash them down. Put them into a bowl to cool. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the breadcrumbs and brown sugar. Saute, stirring constantly over a medium heat until the breadcrumbs are golden brown. Add the cinnamon and stir well. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Whip the cream and add the icing sugar & lemon juice.(Or add the icing sugar & lemon juice to the creme fraiche.).Take a large glass bowl or 4 individual glass bowls and layer the stewed apples, breadcrumbs and cream - ending with a layer of cream.
Scatter with the chopped hazelnuts and serve.

Blaggut

Mexican Cornbread

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a ten inch cast iron skillet with two tablespoons of veggie oil in the oven to heat while prepping cornbread.

Mix together in a large bowl the following: 1 and a half cups buttermilk, 2 eggs, 1 Tablespoon sugar (doesn't make it sweet), 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 baking soda.

Then stir in: One and a half cups cornmeal preferably stone-ground, 1/2 flour, 1 diced jalapeƱo pepper (seeds and ribs removed), one quarter cup chopped cilantro leaves, 1 quarter cup melted butter. Carefully pour into hot skillet and bake for 30min. Can also be baked in an 8inch square pan or muffin tin, but tastes best made in cast iron skillet.
[close]
~Just a soft space boi~

Ungatt Trunn

Heh, I'm not much of a cook, but I'm allot of a food tester. That Mexican Cornbread sounds delicious, Blaggut!

Life is too short to rush through it.

Tam and Martin

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 05, 2014, 12:12:53 AM
Heh, I'm not much of a cook, but I'm allot of a food tester. That Mexican Cornbread sounds delicious, Blaggut!
I love being a food tester! At our fall festival (A celebration we have with some friends instead of doing Halloween) we had a chili contest. And I was taste-tester!

If you wanna chat, PM me :) I'd love to talk with any of you!

Instagram: aaron.stott2000
SC: ayayron2000

Blaggut

Quote from: Ungatt Trunn on January 05, 2014, 12:12:53 AM

Thankyou! It's my mother's recipe.  :)
~Just a soft space boi~

Unimaginative

Bump. Hey, I'll be trying the Cornbread recipire for sure. Looks delicious.

Dawnwing

"My favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe"

Cream well:
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Add:
1 & 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 oz chocolate chips

Bake cookies at 325 degrees F for about 7 minutes.
[close]

"No Bake Chocolate Cookies"

In a medium saucepan, stir together:
2 cups sugar
6 Tbsp baking cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1 stick butter

Heat over medium heat, stirring.  Let it come to a boil and boil 1 minute.   Turn off heat.

Stir in:
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups instant oatmeal

Stir well.  Drop by spoonfuls onto waxed paper.
[close]

"A good pie crust recipe"

For a two crust pie (one-crust pie amounts in parentheses):

2 cups (1 & 1/4 cup) all purpose flour
1/2 tsp (1/4 tsp) salt
2/3 cup (1/3 cup) shortening or lard
6-7 Tbsp (3-4 Tbsp) water

In a mixing bowl, stir together flour and salt.  Cut in shortening or lard until pieces are the size of small peas. Sprinkle one Tablespoon of the water over the mixture, gently toss with a fork.  Push the moistened portion to the side of the bowl.  Repeat until all is moistened. Divide dough in half (for two crust pie).  Roll out dough.

For a single baked crust - bake in 450F degree oven for 10-12 minutes.
[close]

"Fruit and Pork Kabobs"

2 Tbsp olive oil or cooking oil
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp finely shredded orange peel
2 Tbsp orange juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 clove garlic, minced
1 & 1/2 lbs. boneless lean pork
1 & 1/2 inch cubes of fresh pineapple & cantaloupe

For marinade, combine oil, vinegar, orange peel, orange juice, salt, cumin, and garlic.  Trim fat from pork; cut into 1 & 1/2 inch cubes. Place in bowl; add marinade.  Turn pork to coat well.  Chill 2-4 hours, turning pork once.

Remove meat from bowl, reserving marinade. On six long skewers alternately thread pork, pineapple, and cantaloupe, leaving about 1/4 inch space between each. 

Grill kabobs on an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 14-16 minutes or till juices run clear, turning once and brushing with marinade. Makes 6 servings.

To grill by indirect heat: Arrange preheated coals around a drip pan in a covered grill. Test for medium heat above pan. Place skewers on grill over drip pan. Cover & grill for 18-20 minutes or till juices run clear, brushing with marinade halfway through cooking time.
[close]