News:

For some, the heat of summer nears its end. . . And for others, the blooms of spring appear.

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Wylder Treejumper

Something all of us should work on.

External circumstances are temporary. They come, go, change with the wind and the times. But character, built on solid foundations, never wavers. If you are able to instill in men character, they will do what is right regardless of those circumstances. That is true philanthropy. In the words of an old adage, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime." Or, for a more religious take, here's a good quote:

The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature.
-Pres. Ezra Taft Benson
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Mhera

Apparently, exercise science is one of the worst degrees you can get right now...

Guess who's going major shopping!

Skyblade

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Mhera

That's the major I'm looking at (along with some closely related ones). A bit of research has revealed that the work you can get with it is very little and relatively cheap :P On further thought, though, it shouldn't be too big a deal, as my intention is to use it to enter a physical therapy program. Still, I'm going to keep looking around (not that I already wasn't...).

Skyblade

That sounds great :)

But yeah, do what you enjoy (you already know this, but just to remind you).

I still don't know my major. If I had to choose right now, probably Journalism, but I am unsure if that's the right path for me.

Mhera

Eh, there's plenty of time to figure it out :) I'm trying to pick something or get it narrowed down soon for reasons, but it's not an urgent decision.

Skyblade

:)

Yeah, school makes it so pressuring.

Cornflower MM

I have to pick three thoings I can do to make a career for my dad. Isn't it strange that HE practically my extra two? ::)

Skyblade

Well, you need freedom, too :-\

My dad said I would be best as a lawyer or journalist, and that those careers fit me. I'm still unsure for now.

Eulaliaaa!

Odd... how many high schoolers know exactly what they're going to do for a career? I'll be an author, and I'm going into the Army (maybe an Army Ranger... that's what I'm going for). I've already finished my book, now I'm looking for an editor to send it to (when I'm done proof reading).
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Cornflower MM

Quote from: Skyblade on July 22, 2015, 01:53:34 AM
Well, you need freedom, too :-\

My dad said I would be best as a lawyer or journalist, and that those careers fit me. I'm still unsure for now.

Yeah, I know. I'm sure computering is a great skill, and I appreciate te effort. . . . Why won't you listen to my choices as well?

Sorry, rant over.

Mhera

Quote from: Eulaliaaa! on July 22, 2015, 10:31:56 PM
Odd... how many high schoolers know exactly what they're going to do for a career?
None ;) Even the best plans are subject to change. However, having a sense of direction- even if it ultimately doesn't pan out -can be very helpful.

Wylder Treejumper

How many high schoolers know exactly what they're going to do for a career?
How many high schoolers can tell the future?
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Eulaliaaa!

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on July 23, 2015, 06:27:17 PM
How many high schoolers know exactly what they're going to do for a career?
How many high schoolers can tell the future?

None, but I do know I'll be in the Army. Or at least the military. There's no question about that, it's what I'm going to do. And writing is something I really enjoy, I love to write. I've already written a book that's around 200 pages. I'm getting ready to send it to an editor.

While I may not know exactly what my life will look like in the future, I have an idea of what I'm going to do.
Just pretend there is something interesting and unique written here... I have nothing to say.

Hickory

The Army... ever seen that one army Toyota ad? That cpuld be you.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.