News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

The Academic Thread

Started by Skyblade, January 21, 2015, 02:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What year do you graduate from high school?

Already graduated
6 (20.7%)
2015 (this year)
0 (0%)
2016 (next year)
4 (13.8%)
2017 (etc.)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
3 (10.3%)
4 (13.8%)
After 2020
6 (20.7%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Wylder Treejumper

33, same as you. That's how I know the percentile. That's why I thought it was weird we were both gonna retake. Same idea, same score...

As for me, I'm shooting for a 36. I could use a full-ride- because there's no way I'm paying $42,000 a year tuition just to go to MIT! I love the school, but not to the order of $160,000 of student-loan debt. If that's the case, I'll take my chances with BYU. Actually, I may go there for my undergrad anyways and go to MIT for a masters.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Mhera

Sky, that's fantastic! And it only further affirms what I said in my Ask thread about identical scores/tests. I got a 33 as well, and am skipping the SAT but retaking the ACT (though maybe not until next year) ;D

@James: A 34 instead of a 33 could possibly garner an extra $10,000 at one of the schools I'm considering.

Wylder Treejumper

Woah. That's even stranger. But, whatever. It's cool, I guess.
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

Skyblade

Thanks, Mhera! And wow, that's weird but cool too! ;D

Wylder, I wish you the best. Don't stress (well, try not to). I know you'll be great. We all will. I mean, look at us. Nerds for life ;D

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

Wylder Treejumper

Psh, I'm fine. I've even got two opportunities. Besides, last time the only thing I didn't do well in was math, and that was because the highest math class I'd taken was Algebra 1 (I got a 25 in the Math section).
-Thomas Paine

-George Washington

James Gryphon

Quote from: Mhera on September 17, 2015, 04:36:00 AM@James: A 34 instead of a 33 could possibly garner an extra $10,000 at one of the schools I'm considering.
All right.

If it's to save money, then that's one thing. I just don't want Sky to feel like being in the 99th percentile is inadequate.

@Sky: I missed it when I first read this topic, but caught it the second time around. I'm glad to hear about not doing the SAT.
« Subject to editing »

Skyblade

Thank you :) I plan to talk to my school counselor, like I said :)

Mhera

Quote from: Mhera on September 17, 2015, 04:36:00 AM
...and am skipping the SAT...
I shouldn't have said that, because now, for reasons beyond my comprehension, I am registered to take the November SAT.

Banya

Well, good luck on that, Mhera.  (Seriously though.)

My Russian class is interesting.  My instructor is awesome, in contrast to my former Arabic professor, who was so horrible that I stopped taking Arabic classes.  In Arabic, though, we spent the first three weeks learning only the alphabet, learned only numbers 0-10, and then spent the rest of the semester cramming in two textbooks.  In Russian, we had to know the alphabet by last Friday (class only started Tuesday), and we had to know it verbally, in print, and in cursive.  We know numbers 0-29 and are already holding and translating simple conversations.
I like this pace.

Mhera

Yeah, really ::) Thanks!

That's funny, and kinda sad :P Are you still going to try and learn Arabic on your own, or was it just another class?

Skyblade

I've decided not to retake the ACT :P Do you guys think I'll be okay? I do plan to apply to prestigious universities with low acceptance rates.

Kitsune

Yes. I think you will be amazing, no matter what happens. One thing, though: whatever you do, do not study for the ACT one to two days before the test. Focus on getting plenty of rest and having a healthy, protein-filled breakfast the day of. An active, awake mind is better than a tired one that has a few hours more knowledge. My sister did this and raised her ACT score by four points, ultimately earning her a full ride at her college. I did the same and already received an amazing score as a sophomore. When it comes to any hard test, rest equals success.

Skyblade

Kudos, Plugg!

Thank you for the advice. Well, actually I'm planning not to retake the ACT...

Kitsune

*Reads posts* Oh. Well, never mind then. :P Do whatever you are sure is best. ^ _ ^

Skyblade

One can't be sure of anything. But I try, and I hope people see that. Thanks, Plugg.