News:

"Beep-Bloop" -Matti, probably

Main Menu

2016 Presidential Elections

Started by Hickory, September 03, 2016, 03:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LT Sandpaw

Some sixty percent of voters say they want a second choice. If Gary had, had the right ideals, the right strategy, and the guts to do it he could've been a viable option come November. It would be a struggle, but he could have done it. Not anymore. I don't think he has those qualities, he hasn't demonstrated these qualities, and his campaign has been lackluster. Which is why I wont support him. Personally.

And I can't get onboard with the idea that I should support him just to make sure there is a third option in the future. Especially when there is a fine option right now. And that's Trump.

I think its perfectly noble to support him, if you think that its the right thing. He seems like a decent guy. And hey, maybe your right and the Libertarians will become federally funded and have a serious chance next election. ;)

@Jet, If your interested in learning more, not that I'd be if I was a Brit, Just look up 'Why should I vote for Clinton?' In Youtube. You'll find some crazy stuff. ;)

"Sometimes its not about winning, but how you lose." - John Gwynne

"Facts don't care about your feelings." -Ben Shapiro

The Skarzs

You'll find some crazy stuff on anyone on Youtube. Problem is, when seeing that stuff, they're biased in both directions, so you're always gonna get some lies, exaggerations, and omissions of facts.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Wylder Treejumper

Bleh. I'm sick of politics. I hate all the candidates and nobody represents my views. Trump is a blustering idiot and hardly a decent Republican, Hillary is a criminal, Gary Johnson is irrelevant and Jill Stein is insane.

The problem with politics: Any decent person wouldn't want to be President, and anybody who does want to become President should never be allowed to :P
"'Tis the business of small minds to shrink, but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death."
-Thomas Paine

"Integrity and firmness is all I can promise; these, be the voyage long or short, shall never forsake me although I may be deserted by all men."
-George Washington

Courage: Not only the willingness to die manfully, but also the determination to live decently.

The Skarzs

Quote from: Wylder Treejumper on September 03, 2016, 06:58:08 PM
Bleh. I'm sick of politics. I hate all the candidates and nobody represents my views. Trump is a blustering idiot and hardly a decent Republican, Hillary is a criminal, Gary Johnson is irrelevant and Jill Stein is insane.
HA HA! That's hilarious.

The problem with politics: Any decent person wouldn't want to be President, and anybody who does want to become President should never be allowed to :P Well put.
Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Gonff the Mousethief

My vote, if I could vote, would be for Trump. I honestly don't want Hillary to win because of the loads of scandals and stuff like that, plus he does have some potential.

EDIT: One thing I do like about Trump though is his VP pick Mike Pence. He has shared some great stuff, and his a pretty awesome guy.
I want the world of Tolkien,
The message of Lewis;
The adventure of Jacques,
And the heart of Milne.
But I want the originality of me.

Groddil

* Groddil loves Australia right now.

The Skarzs

Cave of Skarzs

Cave potato.

Cornflower MM

I wouldn't vote for any of these options. . . . . . . . Trump's a pedophile, Hillary's a nutcase, and the other two I don't know and don't care to.

Quote from: Jet the binturong on September 03, 2016, 04:23:23 PM
Just saying literally everyone outside America is scared of Trump starting WWIII. The British parliament also had a meeting discussing whether or not he should be banned from the UK.

There is that. I wouldn't trust Hillary not to, either, though - Oh wait, I don't trust her. At all. So moot point.
Oh yes, Corn knows some things about politics. ;) Corn just hates discussing them because she has unpopular and unheard-of views.

Delthion

Quote from: Gonff the Mousethief on September 03, 2016, 10:40:53 PM
My vote, if I could vote, would be for Trump. I honestly don't want Hillary to win because of the loads of scandals and stuff like that, plus he does have some potential.

EDIT: One thing I do like about Trump though is his VP pick Mike Pence. He has shared some great stuff, and his a pretty awesome guy.

Mike Pence is awesome. Except for one case in Indiana, when he approved a bill, and then repealed it. It should have been kept. *Not trying to start an argument here. ;D*
Dreams, dreams are untapped and writhing. How much more real are dreams than that paltry existence which we now call reality? How shall we ascend to that which humanity is destined? By mastering the dreamworld of course. That is how, my pupils, that is how.

Skyblade

The points made in this thread are interesting.

I was tempted to vote for "Other" and comment, "We're all doomed", but decided to hold off until I solidify my opinion and make a real vote. In the meantime,

Does anyone remember a presidential election that was this, well, bad? I could be wrong, and this is a normal part of American politics. But personally, I don't recall ever having an array of candidates so worrisome. This just exacerbates my dark perception of where the US (and the world in general) is heading. But that's another topic ;)

One thing I've heard is that many people adopt a hopeless perspective about voting and politics in general: the idea that since they're only one person, their actions don't really matter. It's easy to assume that one vote in the sea of ballots won't make a difference in the end. The problem is when many people feel this way. Then, it's not just one vote that's held back, but a lot, and that can make a considerable difference.

I think that's the reason why people say "your vote counts". Not necessarily because one slip of paper will change the outcome (has there ever been an election like that? Serious question), but because by nudging Americans away from this apathetic view, a number of opinions can avoid being stifled.

Thanks, MatthiasMan, for the avatar!

James Gryphon

Quote from: Skyblade on September 04, 2016, 04:26:00 AM
Does anyone remember a presidential election that was this, well, bad? I could be wrong, and this is a normal part of American politics. But personally, I don't recall ever having an array of candidates so worrisome.
You're not wrong. I don't think any of the elections in any of our forum members' lifetimes come close.

Both major parties have had candidates that are arguably this bad before, but never at the same time.

The last election that I think comes close as far as how odious both candidates are remembered to be would be 1964, and then I think there are valid points to be made for both Johnson and Goldwater being a step above the candidates today.
« Subject to editing »

Lady Ashenwyte

Quote from: Peony on September 04, 2016, 12:58:48 AM
I wouldn't vote for any of these options. . . . . . . . Trump's a pedophile, Hillary's a nutcase, and the other two I don't know and don't care to.

A pedophile?

Gary Johnson probably seems like the best bet for America.
The fastest way to a man's heart- Or anyone's, in fact- Is to tear a hole through their chest.

Indeed. You are as ancient as the soot that choked Pompeii into oblivion, though not quite as uncaring. - Rusvul

Just a butterfly struggling through my chrysalis.

Kitsune

Trump is a complete and utter idiot, as well as being an insensitive moron. He'd  put us on bad terms with so many countries...

On the flip side, Hillary knows what she's doing and can execute it well. The only problem with that is, she is an absolute criminal and I fear what she'd do with her manipulation.

To put it basically, Trump will ruin our exterior affairs while Hillary will ruin the interior.

I won't be eighteen by the time voting rolls around... which is honestly a good thing.

DanielofRedwall

Quote from: Groddil on September 03, 2016, 10:42:27 PM
Sadly, given the fact that America is currently the only global superpower, whoever they choose will undoubtably have effects over here, even if we have shifted the bulk of our relations to Asian powers now, specially given our alliance (they are our "great and powerful friend", after all). But I must say I am thanking my lucky stars we have preferential and compulsory voting so we're not in this mess (though I can't say I'm massive fans of either of our major parties). :P

If I had the choice, I would reluctantly vote Clinton. I can't say I like her much, but she's much better than Trump in my view (probably my admittedly left-wing bias there, but hey, I'm trying to be objective here ;)). Honestly, Trump terrifies me, and the amount of influence he has and the fact that he has a legitimate chance of winning is horrifying. Clinton may be uninspiring and questionable, but much less so than Trump. And I would definitely vote, I think in this election more than ever there is basically no choice for anyone who doesn't want Trump to win, and I'm always a fan of engaging in the political system anyway. :)

Quote from: Skyblade on September 04, 2016, 04:26:00 AM
I think that's the reason why people say "your vote counts". Not necessarily because one slip of paper will change the outcome (has there ever been an election like that? Serious question), but because by nudging Americans away from this apathetic view, a number of opinions can avoid being stifled.
In Australia's election this year, there was a seat that was only won by eight votes and they had to recount to make sure they got it right. That turned in to... a 37 vote victory for the Opposition. Sure, that is only one seat out of 150 (in the lower house), but the margin of victory for our current government (well, for the party to form government without needing the help of other non-opposition parties) was one seat, so you could say something like that happened here. Also, I think the Al Gore scandal proves that votes really do matter, and especially that votes to third parties can have a big influence.
Received mostly negative reviews.

Groddil

Quote from: DanielofRedwall on September 04, 2016, 08:19:23 AM
Quote from: Groddil on September 03, 2016, 10:42:27 PM
Sadly, given the fact that America is currently the only global superpower, whoever they choose will undoubtably have effects over here, even if we have shifted the bulk of our relations to Asian powers now, specially given our alliance (they are our "great and powerful friend", after all). But I must say I am thanking my lucky stars we have preferential and compulsory voting so we're not in this mess (though I can't say I'm massive fans of either of our major parties). :P.

True, but while our politicians are useless, they at least they aren't psychopaths.